Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013

Tools Search
Old
Send a message via Yahoo to Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound
Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013

Today the Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013 was introduced in Congress.

Every person in the affiliate marketing industry in every state should tell their Congress members and Senators to support this bill.
phil@abestweb.com

Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; February 19th, 2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: updated link
Thanks From:
Old
Fighting the good fight...
Send a message via AIM to Convergence
Old
Affiliate Manager
Interesting...

"Many thanks to the bill sponsors and supporters, Senators Dick Durbin of Illinois (and winner of this year’s Affiliate Summit Industry Advocate of the Year award), Mike Enzi of Wyoming and Lamar Alexander of Tennesseee, and Representatives Steve Womack of Arkansas and Jackie Speier of California."

Where are New York's & North Carolina's Sens?
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Affiliate Manager
Send a message via AIM to bblythe Send a message via Skype™ to bblythe
I am really excited about this, and I will be following it on Open Congress. I doubt it will be a perfect fix, but it will be a step in the right direction!

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/113-h684/show
Old
AM Navigator
Send a message via Skype™ to Geno Prussakov
Angel Djambazov has published an interesting opinion piece on the subject at GeekWire earlier today:

Why Amazon and other retailers are supporting this national sales tax legislation

Geno

Twitter.com/ePrussakov
My blog - 1,300+ posts || My books & articles - aka "my publications"
Thanks From:
Old
Fighting the good fight...
Send a message via AIM to Convergence
Old
OPM and Moderator
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via MSN to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Skype™ to Chuck Hamrick
Online sales tax wins support in Congress

style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Friday’s vote to include Marketplace Fairness “proves that an overwhelming majority of senators support this bipartisan legislation to level the playing field for brick-and-mortar retailers,” Durbin says. He notes that Marketplace Fairness is co-sponsored by 28 Republicans and Democrats in the Senate and 48 Republicans and Democrats in the House, and supported by 15 Republican governors and seven Democratic governors. In addition, Durbin notes that the Marketplace Fairness legislation differs from other sales tax bills that have died in Congress in recent years by providing states with more options in how they set rules for what products are subject to sales tax, to make it easier for retailers to collect tax across multiple states.
This about covers it:
Quote:
If enacted into law, Marketplace Fairness as currently written would let the 45 states plus the District of Columbia that have a state sales tax mandate that all retailers must collect sales tax whether or not they have a physical presence, or nexus in legal terms, such as stores or distribution centers in a customer’s state. The legislation exempts retailers with less than $1 million in annual remote sales, that is, sales in states other than those where they have physical locations. Under current federal law, states can only mandate sales tax collection by retailers that a have an in-state physical presence.
Thanks From:
Old
ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran
Here is, I believe, an important paragraph...

style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
"Under the Enzi/Durbin bill, states that want to require online sellers to collect sales tax would have to simplify their tax codes. But participation would be voluntary, and the bill gives them a choice of either a comprehensive simplification plan proposed in previous sales tax fairness measures or an easier alternative set of requirements. Small businesses with less than $1 million in annual sales would be exempt from collecting tax, up from $500,000 in past versions, and states rather than retailers would pay for software that would handle collection."
In other words it is.... Voluntary, has mandatory simplification required if States want to participate, has exemptions, and is funded by States (not Retailers).

Brian Littleton
President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.
Old
OPM and Moderator
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via MSN to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Skype™ to Chuck Hamrick
So in your opinion is no better off that what most states already have enacted?
Old
ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran
I think it is way better. I'm a supporter of this bill and the work that Senators Durbin and Enzi (among others) put in... They were very gracious as well let us voice our concerns and give our input - the bill has been several years in the making mostly because they took a lot of time to discuss things with all parties involved.

My point was to counter those points against it. People say it will be burdensome, will force States like Montana to collect tax (they don't currently), expensive, etc...

I'd much prefer a world where there was no sales tax at all... but that notwithstanding, I support this bill and its effort to create a level playing field without harming Affiliates.

Brian Littleton
President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.
Old
OPM and Moderator
As I have said before I would rather have something that is defined on a Federal level so we can work going forward.

Anyone have an update on the New York nexus case in the appellate courts? Would a signed Federal bill negate that and allow NY merchants to open their programs to NY affiliates?

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search