|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Notices

copyright music and video blogging

Tools Search
Old
Send a message via ICQ to dustin999 Send a message via AIM to dustin999
copyright music and video blogging

Based on the most recent affiliate summit in Vegas, I'm in the process of adding some video aspect to my blogging on a new site I'm about to launch. However, I've had some trouble trying to figure out if I can legally use certain music.

First, what are the copyright laws? I'm assuming in the traditional sense if I create and host my own videos with copyrighted music, I would have to pay royalties, right?

But then I read that Youtube just signed something with Warner Bros to handle their entire catalog of music, or something like that. Does this mean I could choose any song from which Warner is the label, and as long as my video is being hosted on Youtube, I'm okay?

I'm just trying to figure out the right way to approach this. I plan on doing a regular video on my site, maybe a couple of times a week, and I want to have an intro with music. I'm tempted to just go find some royalty free music, or perhaps dust off the cobwebs on the 'ole axe and try to work something up myself. But I just want to know what my options are since I couldn't find a lot of info on it with a basic google search.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
From a twitterer: "Try a google search for "podcast safe" - there are a few networks I've used. Some REALLY great up and coming artists to be found with generous licensing."
Old
Life is Supposed to be Fun!
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin999

First, what are the copyright laws? I'm assuming in the traditional sense if I create and host my own videos with copyrighted music, I would have to pay royalties, right?

But then I read that Youtube just signed something with Warner Bros to handle their entire catalog of music, or something like that. Does this mean I could choose any song from which Warner is the label, and as long as my video is being hosted on Youtube, I'm okay?

I'm just trying to figure out the right way to approach this. I plan on doing a regular video on my site, maybe a couple of times a week, and I want to have an intro with music. I'm tempted to just go find some royalty free music, or perhaps dust off the cobwebs on the 'ole axe and try to work something up myself. But I just want to know what my options are since I couldn't find a lot of info on it with a basic google search.

Thanks,
Dustin
I'm not 100% sure about Internet use but I'd imagine it's the same for any use of a song that's copyrighted.

You absolutely cannot use just any song you want - songs need to be licensed for a particular medium and cleared through the proper channels. Most popular songs are very coslty to license.

If a song is older than 25 years, you might be able to get away with using it in its current form although if copyright has been renewed (potentially by kin who inherit rights) you'll be open for a lawsuit.

Warner Bros music is in agreement with Yout because Yout has a licensing agreement or some other legal arrangement. Individuals cannot just use a published song on their site anymore than they can use someone's written work that is copyrighted.

There is music available that can be used at no charge. Do a search for "free music" and you should find it. It's mostly instrumental stuff.

Depending on the genre of music, you could find a song writer who would agree to let you use his/her song on your blog in exchange for proper credit and a link back to their site or MySpace page.

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexanne
Warner Bros music is in agreement with Yout because Yout has a licensing agreement or some other legal arrangement. Individuals cannot just use a published song on their site anymore than they can use someone's written work that is copyrighted.
But what if the video is hosted on Youtube, and I'm just embedding a Youtube video into my blog? I'm sure that has to be legal since Youtube actually encourages people to embed their video onto their site. I can't imagine Warner Bros is making a distinction between the two, but then again, I don't know a thing about these copyright laws.

Anyway, thanks for the info Rexanne and loxly. The more I think about it, the more I think a royalty-free song is better. It's just an intro and possibly an outro, so an instrumental track would be ideal I think.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old
Send a message via Yahoo to Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexanne
Depending on the genre of music, you could find a song writer who would agree to let you use his/her song on your blog in exchange for proper credit and a link back to their site or MySpace page.
Good idea.

dustin999, you could also pose your question in the Legal Lounge but there has not been much response there this month.

(Maybe a mod should move the thread there)
phil@abestweb.com
Old
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
Good idea AffiliateHound, moved to the Legal Lounge.
Old
Classic Rocker
Here's some research links for you. I'd start at BMI and see how it works. Great docs and FAQ's there. They are the major player in this field. You'd be surprised, it isn't as expensive as one might think. Getting "legal" is the only way to go. If you're in the US, it isn't a matter of if you'll get caught, just when. It boils down to your plan and if you think it'll make a profit.

http://www.bmi.com/

http://www.sesac.com/

http://www.ascap.com

http://www.soundexchange.com/

Hope those links help. I'm a music nut so I've been down this path, like it, have fun with it, but haven't "hit" yet. I'm till playing with a few ideas in this space. It's one of those "if you love what you do...." things, I really like it and eventually I'll find a winner in there.

Last edited by Mack; May 10th, 2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old
Affiliate Manager
Using royalty free music is the safest way to go without stirring potential issues.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Just remember that "royalty free" does not equate to "safe to use". Every work will be licensed in some way, and you need to make sure you adhere to the terms of that license.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Thanks again everyone for the feedback, I think I'm gonna go the free route, with consideration to HecticDMC's caveat.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search