Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Thread: Merchants Terminating CA Affiliates 2012

Tools Search
Old August 16th, 2012, 01:49 PM
ABW Ambassador
Merchants Terminating CA Affiliates 2012

Thought it should be a new thread but feel free to merge with the existing one.

Just received an email from ThinkGeek (CJ).

"Due to Nexus Tax legislation in the State of California, we will be removing all California affiliates from our program. We will issue this expiration 7 days from September 15th. Once the expiration is issued, it will take 7 days for the expiration to take effect."
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via MSN to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Skype™ to Chuck Hamrick
Thanks Cathy, let's run this one as a unique thread. I talked with AffiliateHound who said the California tax goes into effect in about a month. The difference from when this was originally voted on is that Amazon is going to pay state sales tax. Expect that this will roll out going forward and we can expect to see dozens of merchants booting California affiliates.
Old August 16th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Super Dawg Member
Right, the "Doom" Day IS Sept. 15 when the law goes back into effect. Amazon negotiated the deal for a year reprieve, with a August 1 deadline for a federal law, which did not happen. For CA affiliates, the safest merchant to promote is Amazon, as they are building a California presence and will be collecting CA state sales tax beginning Sept. 15.

I spent a lot of time at ASE12 talking to merchants, AMs and OPMs and my first question generally was their policy regarding the tax situation. Most said they did not know yet, some said a decision would be made in advance of Sept. 15. Few could provide a definite answer.

Andy Rodriguez was forthcoming regarding Checks Unlimited and they will be terminating CA affiliates.

Aaron Austin spoke to people at Carousel Checks and was able to confirm that Carousel will NOT terminate Ca affiliates.

Waiting for more info on other programs.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hi Guys,

I will add the merchants that I get declined from as well. As an emerging markets publisher, this timing couldn't be any more frustrating. Almost as quickly as I am getting relationships through the door, I'm seeing new expiration notices for those merchants. Thank you for starting this post that will keep us all informed and help me figure out where I need to fill gaps.

We are currently joined to CJ, AvantLink, Impact Radius and Pepperjam.

Here are a few I received in the past couple days, I will continue to post:
ShopRuche - CJ (confirming expiration due to Nexus)
ThinkGeek - CJ
Backcountry - CJ

Chuck - do you prefer me to add onto this original post for additional ones that I see? Or should I post again when I have another short list?

Also, should we start a "non removal" list like you did last year? That might be very helpful and I already have a short list of those I know won't remove us. And at least the B&Ms are easy to identify.
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via MSN to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Skype™ to Chuck Hamrick
Liz just post as you have done above. By all means start a "non removal" list thread and I will get the word out on that as well.
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:37 PM
I just got confirmation back from ShopRuche that the expiration was not due to Nexus. I apologize for adding them to the list, they were doing publisher clean up and we did not have sales at the time of expiration.
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Affiliate Marketing Consultant
Send a message via ICQ to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via AIM to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via MSN to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Andy Rodriguez
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
Andy Rodriguez was forthcoming regarding Checks Unlimited and they will be terminating CA affiliates.
And as quickly as that, things change in the online marketing world ... we are working on an initiative that will allow us to KEEP working with our CA partners. We are still working out the details and all of our CA affiliates will be getting an email as early as next week advising them of our plan.

I can't post what we are doing as of yet on the public forum but it will allow you to continue working with us if you are in CA and agree to the modified agreement.

Any further questions, please email me direct: andy / at / andyrodriguez.com or @AffiliateDoctor.

Have a great weekend all,
www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Advocate
Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:03 PM
ABW Ambassador
Thanks Mellie.
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:05 PM
ABW Ambassador
Looks like there may be some relief for California publishers. As per the PMA

Affiliate Nexus Tax Update: California and Pennsylvania | Performance Marketing Association

"The PMA has been working closely with the Board of Equalization, the agency that oversees sales and use tax collection. The BOE has developed a work-around process that will allow affiliate relationships to remain in place, under certain circumstances. Modeled after similar regulations developed in New York, advertisers can still work with California publishers and not have nexus established, if their publishers agree to avoid certain marketing activities that are deemed ‘solicitation’ or directly targeting California consumers. This means publishers are not allowed to send emails to Californians, distribute fliers, or verbally inform people to visit advertisers’ sites."

Sounds like good news to me!
Thanks From:
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:08 PM
That's great news! Thanks Cathy.
Old August 31st, 2012, 02:25 PM
Super Dawg Member
Wayfair just sent an email notifying CA affiliates that they are terminated effective Sep 15.
Old August 31st, 2012, 03:50 PM
ABW Ambassador
Updated info on the non-solicitation work-around:

California Update: Work Around Process for Affiliate Nexus Tax | Performance Marketing Association
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:34 PM
Affiliate Network Rep
Send a message via AIM to JCrooks - AffiliateWindow Send a message via Yahoo to JCrooks - AffiliateWindow Send a message via Skype™ to JCrooks - AffiliateWindow
Just as a suggestion, since our business is so international, working with a foreign-based merchant such as someone in the UK or Europe might also be an alternative if a US program eliminates you.
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:58 PM
Super Dawg Member
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrooks - AffiliateWindow View Post
Just as a suggestion, since our business is so international, working with a foreign-based merchant such as someone in the UK or Europe might also be an alternative if a US program eliminates you.
In theory, that sounds like a great idea. But, last year with the first time around with the CA tax, I joined a couple of Canadian merchants for that reason, and got terminated (I think one term and one rejection based on CA residence). Maybe the further away the merchant from CA the better the chance of acceptance?
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Super Dawg Member
Gardener's Supply Co.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search