Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Thread: Cystic Fibrosis Great Strides Annual Walk

Tools Search
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
ABW Ambassador
Send a message via ICQ to Greg Rice Send a message via AIM to Greg Rice Send a message via MSN to Greg Rice Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Rice
Cystic Fibrosis Great Strides Annual Walk

As many of you know my wife and I care for 2 of our grandsons, Harlan who is now 3 1/2 years old and Leland who is now 16 months old. We're very thankful Harlan has had good health and no major issues in his 3 1/2 years. Leland, on the other hand, has had a tough life so far battling Cystic Fibrosis.

Early on, it seemed CF was winning. After he was born he kept losing weight and was down to nearly 5 pounds. At one point his CF doctor said he didn't know what else to do with him since it seemed like nothing was working. Christmas was very special since we had serious doubts Leland would be around to share it with us.

Today he looks like any normal 16 month old healthy child. This is due in large part to my wife Debbie and her seemingly endless energy and drive dealing with CF, all of the 6-8 meds Leland needs each day (sometimes more when his condition worsens), all of his doctors and the doctor appointments, his treatments including the PD treatment for his lungs, breathing treatments for the lung infections he gets all the time and his nightly continuous feeding bag hooked up to his stomach tube.

Credit also goes out to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Without their assistance and research, and Debbie's care, I don't think Leland would have had a chance. During a normal month, Leland's meds run over $900. When his condition worsens it can be twice that. On top of that are the feeding pump, his new air powered thumping vest for his lungs and all the supplies of feeding bags, tubes, extensions, etc.

There's no cure for CF yet, but the CFFs research and assistance makes CF patients' lives so much easier. Anticipating a cure, Debbie takes part in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's annual Great Strides walk. If any of our AM friends have any money still in their charity budget, we'll be tickled if you could help raise money for a cure by donating anything you can. With this economy, donations so far are down but she's getting donations from new places and raised over $900 at work. If you can help, please donate here. If you can't, good wishes and prayers for Leland (and Debbie's energy lol) are much appreciated.

The pics below are when Leland was 1 month old and the other two are from this month. It's easy to see the awesome progress he made.
Attached Thumbnails
Cystic Fibrosis Great Strides Annual Walk-leland1.jpg   Cystic Fibrosis Great Strides Annual Walk-leland2.jpg   Cystic Fibrosis Great Strides Annual Walk-leland3.jpg  

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
ABW Ambassador
Donation made! It would be great if CF could be wiped out in Leland's lifetime.
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
I'm not very active on ABestWeb anymore because I disapprove of certain changes. If you post a reply intended for me, I might miss it.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
ABW Ambassador
Send a message via ICQ to Greg Rice Send a message via AIM to Greg Rice Send a message via MSN to Greg Rice Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Rice
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
Donation made! It would be great if CF could be wiped out in Leland's lifetime.
Thank you very much! We hope they find a cure before we have to figure out how to tell him about CF. They're making major advancements so we're very hopeful for a breakthrough soon.

Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM
ABW Ambassador
Update: Online donations are up to $345, cash donations not registered yet up to $940! Thank you!

Old April 26th, 2010, 10:22 AM
ABW Ambassador
Greg, I can't tell you how much I respect the two of you, and the little ones, too. Donation has been made and you are all in my prayers.
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettylou View Post
Greg, I can't tell you how much I respect the two of you, and the little ones, too. Donation has been made and you are all in my prayers.
Thank you very much! When he's old enough I'll share this post, and the one from last year, with him so he can see how awesome ABW members are.

Old April 26th, 2010, 03:45 PM
ABW Ambassador
I got an email from Debbie about the walk and intended to donate again, but forgot about it over the weekend. Thanks for posting about it to remind me. Glad to hear Leland's doing well.

Donation sent!
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:03 AM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowmufn View Post
I got an email from Debbie about the walk and intended to donate again, but forgot about it over the weekend. Thanks for posting about it to remind me. Glad to hear Leland's doing well.

Donation sent!
Awesome, thank you! I didn't know she sent those emails until you posted. She said she was contacting those who donated last year.

She's been getting item donations from local businesses too and will use them in a charity auction.

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Beachy
Greg, you and Debbie are awesome. I don't know how I missed this before - I just sent a little love your way to help with the walk/fund raiser.
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:42 PM
ABW Ambassador
Debbie sent me a nice email, too, thanking me and including a nice picture of you and Leland playing together.

Glad to see you're up to 60% of your goal!
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
I'm not very active on ABestWeb anymore because I disapprove of certain changes. If you post a reply intended for me, I might miss it.
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:08 AM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Greg, you and Debbie are awesome. I don't know how I missed this before - I just sent a little love your way to help with the walk/fund raiser.
Thank you!! Debbie asked me last night who you were so I knew you must have donated.

We truly appreciate the support and she is tickled to see ABWers help out, people who don't even know her or Leland. You contributors are the awesome ones!!

Old April 28th, 2010, 09:25 AM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
Debbie sent me a nice email, too, thanking me and including a nice picture of you and Leland playing together.

Glad to see you're up to 60% of your goal!
It looks like she'll exceed her goal this year. That pic was from Easter when we had everyone here for lunch and the awesome weather made it a perfect day. Our weather slipped back to early spring temps of 40-50.

Old May 4th, 2010, 03:32 PM
ABW Ambassador
Greg, if it's okay, I wanted to bump this thread again and also wanted to thank Debbie for such a kind email after my donation. She was very thoughtful indeed to take the time out of her busy schedule to do so.
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:59 AM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettylou View Post
Greg, if it's okay, I wanted to bump this thread again and also wanted to thank Debbie for such a kind email after my donation. She was very thoughtful indeed to take the time out of her busy schedule to do so.
Absolutely! Update: She had a bake sale at work and raised another $167. She's tickled pink so many people baked goods for the sale and then bought the baked goods, often for much more than the asking price.

This week she's holding a raffle for products and services from local companies.

Thanks again to our ABW family!!

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search