Welcome, guest! Login
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Question

Tools Search
Old
Wow....reading through the FAQS on the different aspects of CJ makes for some reading. I really don't need to know exactly how things work at the moment, but I do need to know how things are suppose to work.

If promote a product with a code in a link leading to that product, and this first time customer wanders to another product and buys, I should still get a commission on the product that the customer wandered off to and purchased....correct???

Thanks

"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."
Old
ABW Ambassador
Dirk,

Yes, if they 'wander' after following your link to the merchant, you should. If they 'wander' to another affiliate site elsewhere and get your cookie overwritten, the next guy gets it. I hope this helps.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain
Old
Yes that helps.

Thanks!

"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Dirk,

When someone clicks on one of your merchant links, it sets a cookie on their computer. They should theoretically be able to go all over the Internet with that cookie, and as long as another site promoting that same merchant doesn't cause the customer to click on their link, you would still get the sale if they made a purchase. You should get credit for anything purchased at that merchant's site, unless they specifically have something in their TOS that isn't commissionable.

Of course, there are software app publishers out there that can overwrite your cookie regardless of whether or not your visitor clicked on one of their links, which cuts you out of the deal, even though you were the one who sold the product to the customer. The networks won't protect your interest on this. But that's another issue.

Andy

Old
quote:
Originally posted by Andy:

Of course, there are software app publishers out there that can overwrite your cookie regardless of whether or not your visitor clicked on one of their links, which cuts you out of the deal, even though you were the one who sold the product to the customer. The networks won't protect your interest on this. But that's another issue.

Andy

What are you saying? If someone new to the internet going online for the first time ever, and my site is the first one they visit on the net and they purchase something from a product link I have on my site......my cookie can be overwritten?????

How is this possible?????

Old
Affiliate Addict
Dirk,
Spend some time in here at ABW (A Best Web) and read the threads concerning Parasites. You can probably read them all in about 3 years!
Hope you do well in this biz

"I did'nt get where I'm at today by worrying about how I'm going to feel tomorrow."
Old
Yea I read a bunch on it already. Didn't really find the answer(s) I was looking for yet.

I guess I should ask this question: Is there anything I can do ( like add something to my sources code) to minimize the possibility of my cookies being overwritten???

I already have the MS prevent parsing script and something about an ezula fix in my source code. Not sure if this is the type of thing we are talking about though.

Anyway, Thanks Robert! I am sure I will do well as long as I focus and not wander off too much to issues beyond my control.

I really don't have three years to look in to this issue. lol

Old
2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner 
Amazing this can be true if your new to web shopper clicks on a Dell.com link.

"What are you saying? If someone new to the internet going online for the first time ever, and my site is the first one they visit on the net and they purchase something from a product link I have on my site"

The moment a LS or BF Dell referred shopper crosses over the invisible barrier between Dell Small Biz systems or Dell Home systems your referral cookie is meaningless. The same systems exist in each department on the same site. That is why they don't have individual product links.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..
Old
Ahhhh.....now I am getting a clearer picture of what is happening.

"Invisible barrier" huh?

Since this is known, how does one detect if there is one ( invisible barrier) with a merchant??

This is like working without getting paid when this happens.....slave labor....unbelievable that this is allowed to happen. Then we all wonder why the government gets involved!

Old
2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner 
"Since this is known, how does one detect if there is one ( invisible barrier) with a merchant?? "

Simple do a test purchase and even install the system for the client. Then sit back and see the sale not get posted with an explaination that the buyer clicked on a small biz link and must have bought a Dell home system.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..
Old
Oooookay.

Is there a list of merchants that have been proven to have this "invisible barrier" in place somewhere so I can avoid them?

For some unknown reason, I don't think there is.

Thanks!

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search