Welcome, guest! Login Join
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?

What sells, When

Tools Search
Old
ABW Ambassador
Maybe we can help each other alittle sharing different observations of what sells, when.

"When" is what I want to better understand. We all know that particular months such as the holiday months results in more sales of certain items.

What about the days of the week in general, day or night, morning, afternoon, and evening...(assuming traffic from the United States).

I want to build different folders for each of these time frames, with merchant layouts catered to each of them. Then upload each at those specific times.

Saturday morning: - I assume alot of people on Saturday morning are thinking about Friday night. I recently signed up for a couple matchmaking programs. The first sale event: Saturday 11 AM. Anyone noticing such merchants converting better at such times?

Monday morning - Alot of people are at work accessing the internet from their employer's computer. What are you going to sell them at this time? I get sales like ink cartridges at this time. What about everyone else?

I'm thinking that many things you make a surfer aware of while they are on a employer's computer (although the ad may make an impression), they just aren't going to buy at that time. You'll just make them aware of the merchant, and they'll dial them up later at home, and you make ZERO for the sale.

I know I've only scrated the surface. Any input anyone may have is greatly appreciated.
Old
ABW Ambassador
I chuckled after re-reading my post.

The internet has become such an untargeted campaign...Throw whatever you can in everyone's faces, and hope something sticks.

Here I am trying to make affiliate marketing a science.

Here are a few of my most hated things.

(1) Spy camera pop-ups (although I'm sure they're rich)

(2) Random banner rotation pages (obnoxious clicking sounds) I'm outta there!

(3) Getting CJ e-mails from merchants complaining about affiliates outbidding them for paid search engine placement for their trademarked names.

(4) Doing well with a merchant for months, then getting an e-mail from them of a lowered commission rate, and coincidently then not having another sale reported by them for months afterwards.

Good day.
Old
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
quote:
I want to build different folders for each of these time frames, with merchant layouts catered to each of them. Then upload each at those specific times.

There has got to be a way to automate such a thing. I'm sure even the biggest workaholic will find that uploading things based on such short timespans will be overwhelming. Or don't you ever intend on taking a vacation???

As for what sells when, I will give one clue: People at w*rk are often thinking of what they'd *rather* be doing.

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
ABW Ambassador
While not an exact science, certainly one can run tests and see what works better, when. I'd suggest that a slightly larger sampling than one might be more statistically significant.

Claude Hopkins' book "Scientific Advertising" was very helpful to me. There are e-book versions around the net for free.

Also, rather than have one site that you rotate hourly (aaaaaggghhhhh!!), why not have a whole different site for each "time slot" that you see any significant stats for?

- - - - -
42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.
Old
ABW Ambassador
quote:
Originally posted by Leader:
There has got to be a way to automate such a thing.

On a unix/linux server, crontab entry:
0 0 1,15 * * rm /path/to/webroot; ln -s ~/`date +%Y/%m/%d` /path/to/webroot

"At midnight on the 1st and 15 of every month, change the symlink to the folder
/path/to/webroot
to the one with the current date in ~/YYYY/mm/DD/ format"

If you want two folders to be alike, symlink them.

Ford Fox-body Owners Club
http://www.ford-fox.org
Old
crontabs are cool. or use some php to determine the country your visitor is coming from and let your page be dynamic. or make it even more precise and throw in some javascript and let it be dynamic based on visitors' time of the day, USA alone covers 4 timezones. using php to determine whether the visitor is (most likely) from USA, or from europe, or from rest of the world, is a good thing anyway, give european ads to europeans if possible etc. I like the idea of different ads in different time-slots, but it must be based on the visitors time of the day, not on your servers time, unless you are sure you mostly serve one time-zone....
Old
The crontab posting you mentioned here, the first /path/to/webroot should be changed to the path to webroot and the second one should too
and the only thing you cange is the time is that correct? what do you mean by chanmge the symlink to that folder? I have been wanting to do something much like this and I would like to have just a little more info so I can get this done. What exactly needs to be changed in that crontab to make the site pages change.

quote:
Originally posted by FFoc:
quote:
Originally posted by Leader:
There has got to be a way to automate such a thing.

On a unix/linux server, crontab entry:
0 0 1,15 * * rm /path/to/webroot; ln -s ~/`date +%Y/%m/%d` /path/to/webroot

"At midnight on the 1st and 15 of every month, change the symlink to the folder
/path/to/webroot
to the one with the current date in ~/YYYY/mm/DD/ format"

If you want two folders to be alike, symlink them.

Ford Fox-body Owners Club
http://www.ford-fox.org

Mainreviewer
www.theshoppingreview.com
www.allprowebdesigns.com
www.redivoltsales.com
www.advantagesaver.com
Old
notary sojac
[QUOTE] ]You'll just make them aware of the merchant, and they'll dial them up later at home, and you make ZERO for the sale. [/QUOTE

and what else is new? we help their branding, but never really get credit for it. and that's the way of the world here.

too bad pay-per-click had so many problems . . . the next logical step would have been to pay us per 1,000 impressions as payback for improving their branding. (nice try, anyway)
Old
ABW Ambassador
Thanks for all the responses.

quote:
the way of the world here

Thankfully on my sites things go according to how I dictate. I really think that a merchant placement stategy with these considerations are a good thing.

I get merchants e-mailing me in so many words wondering why I took them down. Some offer commission increases.

If all affiliates ran business this way, we'd get a better deal from merchants...no doubt.

"The way of the world"? This is the internet...they need my traffic, and I determine if they get it. Period.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search