Welcome, guest! Login
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Thread: Anybody Use Those Ab Roller Machines?

Tools Search
Old March 22nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
ABW Ambassador
Anybody Use Those Ab Roller Machines?

Never used them, heard mixed things about them. See them sometimes in gyms. Just wondering if anybody uses them and which one? Normally I just do crunches are related ab exercises on the floor. I haven't worked out in a long time. Have a Body Solid Free Weight Bench already and have a Body Solid Squat Rack coming any day. Have all the barbells and dumbbells and weights and also have a 24 fitness center at the apartment complex. Soon it's time for me to get going. Also for those that have home gyms or something, do you also have mats? Thanks
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Is your goal to see visible abs? Or to strengthen your core?

Abs are made in the kitchen.. meaning diet is far more important than any exercise. Trim off the fat and you will see your abs-- providing you have a fair bit of muscle on your frame.

To build up the ab muscles, major core lifts like squats and deadlifts will do more than any ab roller or ab targeting machine. Similarly, swiss ball crunches and things like that are also good. If you have access to a universal type gym machine, try kneeling crunches-- kneel on the floor and pull the pulley down with you as you crunch into a ball. Use some weight! Resistance builds size-- not reps.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Prince of Content
Trust

I have one of those ab loungers, best investment I ever made not for my abs but to stretch the back out. I eat too much junk to work on the abs I am thinking about one of those total gyms.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
ABW Ambassador
"Is your goal to see visible abs? Or to strengthen your core?"

I guess a little bit of both. Back in the day I had some semblance of some visible abs but sitting around all day at the computer and current bad diet took care of that. I've posted in the past going from about 185 to 220 since doing affiliate marketing. Got the weight back down and now in the 185-190 range and not really bad shape considering I presently don't exercise and eat like crap. The working out part has never been a problem, more the diet. So throughout the year want to get slowly back to eating right and working out. Wanted to get one of those ab machines to throw into the mix.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:30 PM
Affiliate Manager
I have a Total Gym and some home gym stuff... works great to pile some of my clothes on.
Old June 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM
"Wanted to get one of those ab machines to throw into the mix."

IMHO, some of the machines they have at the gym are decent. But, I would not add this piece of equipment to a home gym. The home versions just take up space and do not work well. Plus, you can always just do sit-ups and crunches.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:41 AM
OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL
Have a Total Gym and an AbRoller used to use them both a lot when I was single but now I am married and have kids and my spare room that was a gym is a nursery. The Gym and roller are in the basement and "One day" I will build a new gym down there.
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Bought my wife the ab lounger and ended up taking it back. Worthless as eventually to build your abs you need more resistance and it doesn't offer any.

Plus, as I have explained over and over that it takes a lot more than just one device/machine/workout set to get in shape and have decent abs. You have great abs built-up under the 2 inches of fat but nobody is gonna ever see them.
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:49 AM
CPA Network Rep
Send a message via AIM to Jon@Fluxads
I recommend using the exercise ball for abs. There are a variety of movements you can do using the ball and it really gives you abs a workout.

One of the biggest things with developing abs, is trimming the fat. Most people have fairly toned abs, they are just hidded below layers of fat.

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Crunches are still the best way to get abs. You don't need to do hundreds of them, but lower end sets, and add resistance as it gets easier. Either through a small weight held in your hands or using an incline bench.

IMHE.
Old June 8th, 2006, 01:15 PM
ABW Ambassador
Yeah, I've just been doing some old fashioned crunches. Now I need to work on the pizza addiction
Old June 8th, 2006, 01:19 PM
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustNo1
Yeah, I've just been doing some old fashioned crunches. Now I need to work on the pizza addiction
ROFL! Good luck and may the Beach be with you.
Old June 8th, 2006, 01:41 PM
CPA Network Rep
But Pizza is soooo good....why fight it?? Live happy.

Old June 8th, 2006, 01:48 PM
ABW Ambassador
Yes, I will never give up the pizza but instead aim for moderation. Instead of eating the whole XL pizza I will be getting from my good friend Papa John, I will take 1 slice and put it in the fridge for tomorrow
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustNo1
Yes, I will never give up the pizza but instead aim for moderation. Instead of eating the whole XL pizza I will be getting from my good friend Papa John, I will take 1 slice and put it in the fridge for tomorrow
Oh yea, THAT is really gonna work... not! LOL!
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM
CPA Network Rep
Our company has 'pizza day' every wednesday, and for the last month and a half I've been skipping it so I can get in 'Summer Shape', because I'd typically have about 3 or 4 slices of everybody's Papa...John.

Old June 8th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Affiliate Manager
Pulled groin and all!!

I used the ab roller a few years back. I think it must work because it can put tremendous strain on your abs and lower stomach (varying with how far out you roll before you start the recovery).

Of course, in denial that I was over 50, I did the macho, ex-marine thing and stretched it all the way out. Couldn't do a crunch or sit up for several weeks after that one!

No doubt in my mind it works because anything that can put that much strain into a crunch has to be good! But I went back to crunches.
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Outsourced Program Manager
Send a message via MSN to e-Gazer
Yoga/Exercise Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxAds.com
I recommend using the exercise ball for abs. There are a variety of movements you can do using the ball and it really gives you abs a workout.
The exercise balls are great both for abs and back! They do wonders to strengthen the core because they force you to sit up straight and to tighten the core ab muscles in order to balance... more and more folks are using the big exercise balls now in place of a computer desk chair at home or at work, even if just for an hour or so a day.

I myself am not that disciplined mind you - should take more of my own advice! HA Though - I did use one for back stretches when I used to do pilates in the mornings and it always made my stiff back feel 99% better.

Having said that - yup - the ball is where it's at for abs if you're looking to keep fit at a desk job, or just sit for long periods of time in any one place (i.e at the computer).

Cheers,
Liz Gazer
Growthspurt Media
Old June 8th, 2006, 05:07 PM
CPA Network Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Gazer
Having said that - yup - the ball is where it's at for abs if you're looking to keep fit at a desk job, or just sit for long periods of time in any one place (i.e at the computer).
It really is a great thing. I sit on it a lot im my living room when I'm watching TV. Occasionally I'll bust out a set or two of some crunches.

Old July 11th, 2006, 01:23 PM
The first time I saw the ab rollers on TV I laughed. Then someone gave my husband one, and I love using it when I do my cruches! I can feel it so much more than when I don't use it. The only bad thing about it is it tends to make your next curl up a little as well, but I've never had any neck problems after using it.
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Affiliate Manager
Hey all...

The Ab Roller really does work. In fact, my brother - who is training to become a police officer - uses the Ab Roller as part of his fitness training. It's amazing too see how toned & fit he's gotten from using the Ab Roller. I'm actually proud of him

Although it's a simple little machine, it's strength lies in its design. It targets your abs, but at the same time, it supports your neck and back so you don't end up killing yourself.

If you're looking for an Ab Roller, it just so happens that Wonderfulbuys has one available. Click here for the details.

Cheers.

Mauro
mauro@wonderfulbuys.com
mauro.flammini@hotmail.com (MSN Messenger)

Wonderfulbuys.com Affiliate Program:

-Hundreds of Unique & As Seen On TV Products
-Affiliate Tools: Text links, banners, promotional coupons, product datafeed and more!
-Dedicated Affiliate Manager
-100% Parasite and Spyware Free!

Available through:

ShareASale and Commission Junction
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Send a message via MSN to amanda_mytights
It's basically like the old 'ab wheel' from the 70s just a little easier to use. I think the ab roller is pretty sound and works. obviously if you want a six pack you'll have to do more than ab roll.

I don't know what an 'ab lounger' is but anything with the word 'lounger' in it probably is not going to really produce results except for the person selling it and using your money to take a carribean holiday.

;-)
Amanda
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:52 AM
ABW Ambassador
I've never been able to do much with sit-ups, crunches or anything that aggravates my lower back injury. I saw one of those infomercials for an ab machine and found a way to do the same thing in my office chair. Roll your chair back from your desk, grab the front edge of the desk, lift your knees up and twist back and forth in your chair. So far, after two weeks I'm seeing some progress. And all these years I thought that 6-pack abs came from drinking Bud Light.
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:26 AM
ABW Ambassador
I like my ab roller. It's two spring loaded wheels and a handle. I was able to do only one rep 6 years ago. I can do 25 now. I've hit a plateau.

The day after that first rep I caught a whiff of dust getting the vacuum out of the closet. I sneezed and buckled over in intense pain.

A week later I completed two reps with faster recovery.
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Affiliate Network Rep
I've always preferred the old fashioned kind of work out, regular crunches without any ab-rollers/loungers, etc. and at least 30-45 min of simple cardio like running or swimming, 4-5 times a week. it works as good as anything, and its free! But, at the same time i've heard good things about stability balls, not only are the great for crunches, but if you use them while lifting weights they help to further strengthen your core.

The only fad that I have jumped on is pilates.....i do a simple 20min routine 5 times a week at home by myself, and the results are amazing. I lost an extra 8 pounds I didn't even know I had, my abs and legs became more toned than ever, and I lost 2 clothing sizes that once again, I didn't think was even possible. To get started I just stole my roomate's Windsor pilates DVD (which I think she ordered online for about 30 bucks) and taught myself. I recommend it to everyone!

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search