Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?

Cloud vs. VPS

Tools Search
Old
Believe
Cloud vs. VPS

A little over a year ago I gave up my dedicated server due to time constraints and went with hostgator reseller account. Today while working on a site it began to crawl and stall. I can only presume this is due to my recent launching of several large sites and being on a shared server.

After seeing markwelch comment in this thread about his search for webhosting and his needs, I decided to look into a vps when I came across cloud hosting.

I'd greatly appreciate some feedback on cloud web hosting, positive and negative. From what I've read it sounds like it's shared hosting on steroids. Scalable and flexible based on usage and traffic, but I'm sure there are 'gotchas' that the hosts aren't talking about.

BTW, I still don't have time to go back to managing a dedicated server... so I'm looking for the next best option. VPS or Cloud.. what's your opinion?
Old
ABW Founder
Send a message via AIM to Haiko de Poel, Jr.
Cloud is the old telcom infrastructure finally implemented in web hosting. The only thing better than a "dedicated" server is cloud for speed scalability and redundancy.

I'm a RS fanatic - been with them since 2005, I highly recommending them (not an aff link)

http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_...products/sites

Haiko
The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli
Old
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
The only thing better than a "dedicated" server is cloud for speed scalability and redundancy.
Keep in mind though, that even with dedicated servers, you can set them up in a clustered or load-balanced configuration, and achieve the same or greater level of reliability.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
ABW Founder
Send a message via AIM to Haiko de Poel, Jr.
Yes, that's right.

Haiko
The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli
Old
Believe
Thanks Haiko, I had looked through rackspacecloud.com and that was the one that got me wondering. It talked about 10,000 computing cycles per month which I couldn't find more information on what a 'computing cycle' was. No other cloud host used that term. So I'm looking for 'gotchas'.

Seems like the concept would be good for my network of local sites, some which will be busier than others, so I don't have to constantly move sites between servers to balance them.
Old
Yep It was called mosso then they changed it to rackspacecloud..I know they would becasue rackspace is a brand now.

I find cloud is very flexible. You pay only for what you use which will save a lot of resource and present day hosting doesnt make any sense. Why would anyone buy lets say 20gb harddisk if they are only going to use 10GB for presenlty but they are expecting it to reach 20GB eventually. So if you have an website which is growing and you want your hosting to grow alonside your website with a valu for money. Then Cloud is the best bet.
Old
My personal feeling is that if your talking 1 or so servers then a VPS is the way to go. Once you start talking about more is when the Cloud Servers start to make sense. For example the price for the small amazon EC2 instance is something like $70 a month, and remember that there are no guarantees that that server will stay up, so really you need at least two servers to have a functional site - one live site, one backup site that would kick up a new live site if the live site goes down. For $70 per month you could get an ok VPS that comes with technical support and such.

However services like EC2 a great for data processing. I use five servers for about 10 to 15 hours ever other day for a cost of about $100 per month. That could not be accomplished via a VPS for a similar price point.
Old
I noticed the "computing cycles" reference today while looking at a small hosting company's offerings -- they are reselling the Rackspace cloud service. (The first hosting plan listed is a "cloud computing" option, while the other is standard hosting). Note the other variations (bandwidth, disk space, etc.) for the same price.
Mega Squid $8/month
* 1000 MB of disk space
* 50 GB of monthly bandwidth
* 500 compute cycles per month
* 3 MySQL databases
* 25 email accounts
* 1 GB of email storage per mailbox
* plus all these standard features

Tiny Squid $8/month
* 300 MB of disk space
* 50 MB of email storage
* 20 GB of monthly bandwidth
* 5 email accounts
* 20 email redirects
* 5 mail groups
* 5 email autoresponders
* 5 web users
* 1 MySQL database
* plus all these standard features

Old
ABW Ambassador
I would run from rackspace's cloud computing. What is 10,000 compute cycles per month? What they want it to be. At one point while testing them (formerly mosso) they changed from all you can eat to - per hit fees. I kid you not, per hit. Have a page with 100 small images equaling 1k , you would pay more than a giant data call page with 2 gig sized images.

They are at a loss on how to charge for cloud computing, so they keep changing what they want to charge you and how they want to charge you. I think rackspace just took mosso in house because they were failing - much like media temple's failing. I do not know of one single cloud computing setup that is a either a good value or a good service.

They can't tell you exactly what a compute cycle is because they don't know. They use gross guesses.

RS may be great, but they inherited a loser from Mosso.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search