Welcome, guest! Login
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Thread: Why Shouldnt I use GoDaddy hosting??

Tools Search
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Why Shouldnt I use GoDaddy hosting??

I did a search already and found some things but is there a glaring factual reason why nobody likes godaddy??

I have tons of domains registered on there and it would seem like the logical choice to keep everything in one place.

None of my sites get alot of traffic and im basically just keeping them live until the day I either sell them or have the time to update them more frequently.

Thanks
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:28 PM
ABW Ambassador
Godaddy's hosting is pretty restrictive as to what you can do. For the same price you wd pay GoDaddy, you will get much better hosting service elsewhere.
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:40 PM
I have the ultimate hosting. It says unlimited domains. Which to me would mean as many as I would like to have hosted??

Ive never heard anyone say anything good about godaddy hosting but they claim to be one of the biggest hosting companies??

they have to be doing something right other than superb cross marketing??
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:51 PM
What's the word?
Hi Carwasher,

I think many affiliates dislike using their registrar as a host
because if/when their site[s] grow there can be a problem transferring
everything to a more generous hosting package?

I use my registrar, 1&1, as a host and so far so good.
I like keeping things together and I am happy with the
hosting package deal my registrar offers.

Do some research to make sure you are aware of problems that
can arise with such a combo deal.
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:54 PM
What's the word?
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwasher View Post
I have the ultimate hosting. It says unlimited domains. Which to me would mean ...
Always ask the company for clarifications of terms.
Old January 29th, 2013, 02:59 PM
just shot them an email......

I have a domain being transferred to hostgator, so I will see very shortly the differences.....I hope.

I have a SMF install on a site through godaddy, and a WP on another and they are not slow but also dont get more than a couple visitors a day.

There backend stuff is what keeps me on there. Im familiar with it and they kinda make it idiot proof.

But im kinda also thinking that hostgator is set up kinda similiar??
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:05 PM
ABW Ambassador
Unlimited domains is just one feature. There are other things one needs to consider. Like access to php.ini, cron jobs. I am not sure what GoDaddy offers now a days. But when I was with them, I could tell I needed better hosting as soon as I started.
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:13 PM
godaddy uses its own custom control panel.

hostgator's uses cpanel. any new-to-you control panel will take some time to learn. fwiw, cpanel is the most common control panel used by webhosting companies.

I use godaddy hosting for a bunch of static sites with no problems.

if you are paying for godaddy hosting, look into getting one of their reseller plans. ask if they are still including a hosting plan with a reseller account.
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:35 PM
There is a reason many domainers stopped using GoDaddy and transferred renewing domains elsewhere: SOPA - Stop Online Piracy Act. For some, it's a good enough reason to not use any of their services.

GoDaddy originally supported SOPA, a position that did not sit well with domainers and others who make money online. They changed their position on SOPA after their customers, some of whom owned hundreds, maybe thousands of domains, began transferring domains to other registrars. But, the damage was done, GoDaddy's true thinking revealed.

If a company's political leanings influence your purchasing decisions, and if you oppose SOPA and that type of legislation, not going with GoDaddy for hosting or domains makes sense.

I've never used GoDaddy for hosting, but I have registered a lot of domains with them. You can buy domains very cheaply at times using the right promo code. I've registered them for as little as one cent plus the, what?, 17 cents ICAAN fee. Where they get you is on the whois privacy. When it comes time to renew, I transfer them to another registrar like Name.com - smaller company, good customer service.

I still spend money with GoDaddy, but I limit the amount. Am I the only one who thinks there's just something a little sleazy about GoDaddy? It's not the GoDaddy girls or the Super Bowl Commercials, believe me, I'm no prude. GoDaddy just strikes me as not terribly professional - a place for the uninitiated. It's good place to grab a cheap domain, but I'm not comfortable there long-term.
Thanks From:
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:23 AM
One more thought re:

Quote:
I have the ultimate hosting. It says unlimited domains. Which to me would mean as many as I would like to have hosted??
Many hosts offer "Unlimited Domains" in their hosting packages. HostGator offers this in it's most basic package. It may not be what you think.

Unlimited domains in a hosting plan often means you have one main domain and all of the others are technically sub-domains. They're not sub-domains in the sense most of us think about sub-domains - subdomain.maindomain.ext - and all of your domains will point to their individual addresses, yet they are still sub-domains.

That said, someone with a deeper technical understanding of this may very well tear my explanation apart. That's fine, it might be helpful. But, here's what it looks like (or kind of) in the hierarchy of your control panel...

Main Domain
-Domain2
-Domain3
-Domain4
-and so on

All of your domains are under one control panel, not separate panels for each. This can be a problem if anyone other than you has to access your control panel...access one, access all. Maybe that's why Gibson suggested a reseller account, you can set-up a different control panel for each domain. With reseller your account looks more like this:

Domain1 Domain2 Domain3 Domain4 Domain5

and the files for each underneath.

Also, and this may be important for some people, with unlimited hosting and all the domains related to the main domain, it's possible for others to figure out exactly which domains you have on your account.

I once found a tool, can't remember the name, that if you entered a domain name, it showed you info not only for that domain, but for all the other domains listed in the unlimited hosting package. In other words, it showed that domain1 was related to domain 2 and to domain3 and so on. I found this discomforting. Too much info to give away. It's especially bad if you have say your professional site or a personal site related to your acai berry site or your leather corset site . It's not hard for people to figure out that their accountant is scamming people into losing weight so they can fit into their BDSM gear. Get it?

That said, many, many of the affiliate marketers I have talked to in forums about this use an unlimited plan. It's a money saver and if you're just trying to flip the domains it probably doesn't matter. Just think it through.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:45 AM
so I was coming back here to post what I figured out about godaddy.
Its exactly what I just read in the last post.
One main domain and all are sub domains after that.

This makes it a giant PIA to do anything on the sites except for the main site.

I have 5 sites actively in my hosting account and im pulling my hair out trying to configure the other 4.

Im going to play around a little more and report back.
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:57 PM
GoDaddy has some of the cheapest prices for domain name registrations. It is fine to use them as a registrar, if you can tolerate (and ignore) all their upselling.

However, a general rule of thumb is to never, ever host your site with the same company you've registered your domains with. You always want to keep the two independent of each other.
Thanks From:
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:37 PM
What is the reasoning behind not hosting and registering with the same company??

Thanks
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Quote:
What is the reasoning behind not hosting and registering with the same company??

Thanks
"Don't put all your eggs in one basket."
Thanks From:
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via MSN to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Skype™ to Chuck Hamrick
If the domain goes down you have that to deal with but can move to a different registrar. If the hosting goes down you can take that backup you preciously saved and point the domain to another host. If both are shutdown by the same company you lost everything.
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:23 PM
GoDaddy would be the very last Registrar or host I would use. They are very quick to pull the trigger and freeze your domain name or shut your site down if they feel like it affects their TOS.
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:59 PM
ok....
I have most of my domains switched over to hostgator and i could not be any happier. Cpanel blows godaddys control panel out of the water.
Support is amazing. Tickets get a response quickly and live chat is invaluable.
Now i just need to devote some more time to migrate everything.

I really dont know wtf I was thinking using godaddy to host at all. I will still register there, unless of course anyone has any better suggestions for registrations???
Old February 17th, 2013, 12:21 AM
What's the word?
Quote:
I will still register there, unless of course anyone has any better suggestions for registrations???
I have not used GoDaddy at all for anything.
I have used & continue to use 1&1 as a registrar
I've used 1&1 since 2005 & it suits my needs.
Closed Thread

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search