Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

update - progress?

Tools Search
Old
ABW Ambassador
According to conversations today, and emails with different parties:

Ebates is working with TopMoxie to update their reminder service so it will not overwrite links.

Accordingly:

ALL downloads will be updated. So thats good.
Second, any links w/ Linksynergy will not be overwritten, redirected etc.
It should be updated within 10 days.

And they were fully aware from the beginning that affiliate links were being overwritten.

They feel there is nothing wrong with this, if the person downloaded their software they want to use their links and not ours.

If they don't have the reminder or automatic link redirect, customers might by mistake not use their links and not get their reward. Then their customer service center gets too many calls from people who do not get their reward be it rebate, points etc. and can't understand why and blame it on them.

We need to keep on this.
Plus there are still the other places using this TopMoxie software that need to be dealt with:

MyPoints
SchoolCash
Technology4Kids.com
UPromise
iGive.com

Please pass on this info to any merchants you may come in contact with. I will be starting an email campaign tonight with the info in it to my merchants.

I am stressing to them how it affects their pocketbook thru them paying these companies commission on search engine links, consumers that come directly to the store, people that click on links in the newsletters the stores send out, etc.

I am stressing to merchants that it is not just an affilate issue.

Connie - www.flamingoworld.com

All around the mulberry bush the flamingo chased the weasel
Old
Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
Send a message via AIM to Kellie aka Ms. B Send a message via MSN to Kellie aka Ms. B Send a message via Yahoo to Kellie aka Ms. B
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Then their customer service center gets too many calls from people who do not get their reward be it rebate, points etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMAO! That statement has got to earn some type of award (not reward).

Thanks for all your hard work and updates Connie!

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies
Old
So, they say they're going to address Linkshare. What about the other networks and the independent affiliate programs?

And they may not intercept a "linksynergy" link, but then what happens when that link redirects to the merchant, and the customer navigates the merchant's site? I suspect that it'll still hijacking link and that point.

Michael Coley
Amazing-Bargains.com
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Send a message via AIM to Kellie aka Ms. B Send a message via MSN to Kellie aka Ms. B Send a message via Yahoo to Kellie aka Ms. B
The LS Addendum is the only thing put forth by the networks at this time which is contracturally binding, that is why you are seeing changes with LS links.

As far as what may happen, we will have to wait and see when the update comes out what may or may not happen.

Old
ABW Ambassador
Trust me,
I shall not give up the fight until all AUTOMATIC REDIRECTING of affilite links stops.

I don't buy the "Well the technology is there" Or "We can't stop technology" excuses.

Just because it the technology exists, doesn't make it right.

This is not an issue about holding back technology or stopping people from using technology, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

This is an issue about ethics and fair competition.

Seems like very unfair competition, our links don't stand a chance. Sounds like an anti-trust, monopoly issue to me in many ways.

Connie Berg
www.flamingoworld.com

Old
ABW Ambassador
I feel your pain.

"Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open." Thomas Dewar
Old
Thanks Connie - you've been a powerhouse during all of this. ALL affiliates should be bowing at your feet.

Was running UPromise on my site -- what an idiot I am. Going to pull them now!

: )

Liz @ Styleforfree
Old
Hi Connie...any luck at CJU with Paul?

Patty
AKA Gourmet

Patty Altaffer
Affiliate Manager
AKA Gourmet(www.akagourmet.com)
patty@akagourmet.com
Old
Merchant
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Connie Berg:
According to conversations today, and emails with different parties:

Ebates is working with TopMoxie to update their reminder service so it will not overwrite links.

Accordingly:

ALL downloads will be updated. So thats good.
Second, any links w/ Linksynergy will not be overwritten, redirected etc.
It should be updated within 10 days.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Per Connie's post above on 10/11 (and by others in other threads), TopMoxie should have been updated within 10 days. It has been 13 days now and TopMoxie has NOT been updated.

Until this morning I have sat here and taken everyone's word on this board concerning affiliate links being overwritten. This morning, I went to eBates and downloaded their Mo Money software for the first time. I closed eBates website window and went to my own site where I proceeded to click thru on quite a few of my affiliate links.

My affiliate code was overwritten and replaced by eBates on links thru CJ, Linkshare, BeFree and Performics.

On one link that I have posted that goes thru Performics, the link was not only changed to eBates affiliate link but it was also changed to a CJ affiliate link. So, not only did I lose the click-thru but looks like Performics did, too. (what a hoot!)

I did not click on the pop-ups from eBates that popped up on my screen that said I was automatically earning my percentage in order to redirect my links. It was automatically done for me.

Now I am headed for the bathroom where I will proceed to throw up, after which I will come back to my computer, get rid of eBates' redirecting software, and start letting all my merchants and visitors know (especially the ones that think they are trying to help us by buying thru our sites) that our commissions are still being stolen.
Old
ABW Ambassador
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Linda:
Now I am headed for the bathroom where I will proceed to throw up...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Need someone to hold your hair? It does not surprise us all that eBates is the biggest of parasites.

Nor does it surprise me that they did not hit their deadline. They are probably too busy shinning their new trophy the just got from CJU.

IamJaloppy
Old
Seems that none of these companies meet their deadlines for the fix. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Let's see if how far into the Christmas season it drags out. CJ has already said to expect it to be a couple of weeks after the Nov 7th meeting before we hear anything about any policy changes. I would then expect there to be a timeframe for those policy changes to be implemented.

Old
Merchant
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLFH:
Seems that none of these companies meet their deadlines for the fix. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Let's see if how far into the Christmas season it drags out. CJ has already said to expect it to be a couple of weeks after the Nov 7th meeting before we hear anything about any policy changes. I would then expect there to be a timeframe for those policy changes to be implemented.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, I caught that, too from Todd's response. In other words, after Christmas.
Old
ABW Ambassador
I think this is causing irreparable damage to CJ. Affiliates have had enough already and link swapping has begun. But will it do any good if eBates can also steal commissions from Perfomrics merchants as Linda mentioned. Is there no morality in e-business these days. CJ, Todd and the tossers at eBates should be so ashamed of themselves. Would love to see them in the next life! Sure they will re-incarnate as beetles under my boots. No, i would not tread on them - I would pull there bl@@dy legs off and through then onto a hot dustbin lid.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm
Old
ABW Ambassador
[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]I am sooooo angry about this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Surely that reporter at New York times who ran the article on Morpheus would love to hear about this. Anyone know how to contact him/her? Anyone know him/her through correspondence already and could get a quick response from him/her?

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm
Old
Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek
Absolutely they are going to drag this out past the Xmas season! We could all see that 2 months ago. Post christmas they will modify the TOS so as to allow these companies to remain in the loop.

EVERYONE WHO IS READING THIS NEEDS TO REPEAT THE ABOVE PROCESS AND TAKE SCREENSHOTS.

It might prove to be......useful. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I Will FOCUS On My Goal
Old
2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner 
Linda and Connie should contact the FBI and Cybercrime unit of the FTC and lodge a complaint against all TopMoxie commission thieves. It just ranks me when I see that Paul Nichols photo grinning out at us here or at CJ. Haiko ..pull those banners and refund that person his money as he is an affront to all good affiliates.

WebMaster Mike
Old
ABW Ambassador
I can confirm Top Moxie is still over-writing affiliate links thru LinkShare. If you have a direct product link, it redirects it to the merchant's homepage with ebates' id.

I just tried it with a J&R.com link.

It is also doing it with virtually EVERY Befree, Performics, and CJ link.

In fact the only links it did not hijack for me were Amazon.com.

If you have not downloaded the program to gather info, and if you have not started speaking to your affiliate managers (no matter how large an afiliate you are by the way), NOW is the time to start.
Old
It doesn't look to us like eBates plug-in is having a big effect, at least not for independent programs.

We ended our relationship with eBates about 2 months ago. Since then, we have seen $14 in sales from them. We are no longer on their website, so that $14 must be from a the plug-in, an unexpired cookie (we give 30 days), or a previous sale of a product with a long lead time. We haven't seen any new orders.

Given this, either the plug-in just doesn't work with our site, or the overall impact is very small. (I should mention that they were a fairly substantial affiliate when they were active, so the $14 is a very trivial amount in comparison.

Jenny Richmond
Affiliate Manager
Sheet Music Plus

Jenny Richmond
www.sheetmusicplus.com
Old
ABW Ambassador
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It doesn't look to us like eBates plug-in is having a big effect, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the ebates plugin IS having a big effect.

If they have not been in your program for two months, then you would not expect to see much activity from them, especially from the plugin.
Old
Wouldn't the plug-in still be working after they left our program? There's no way for them to update all the users that downloaded the program 6 months ago. Or am I missing something?

Once again, we're an independent merchant. Maybe the plug-in was unable to re-write our cookies and never had an impact on our affiliate's sales.

Jenny Richmond
www.sheetmusicplus.com
Old
Crazy Cat Lady
Send a message via AIM to Heidi Send a message via MSN to Heidi Send a message via Yahoo to Heidi
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jenny Richmond:
We ended our relationship with eBates about 2 months ago. Since then, we have seen $14 in sales from them. We are no longer on their website, so that $14 must be from a the plug-in, an unexpired cookie (we give 30 days), or a previous sale of a product with a long lead time. We haven't seen any new orders.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting.... 2 months ago is when my sales with you started shooting through the roof. Ya sure eBates had no impact on my earnings while they were part of your program? My traffic hasn't changed in that time... Hmmmmm

Heidi
Fit2a-t - Make Money Selling T-Shirts From Your Site!!
Old
Hi Heidi,

According to my records, your traffic has shot through the roof during the last two months, so I don't think it's eBates. And if it was, they were just stealing your traffic - nobody else's.

If all of our affiliates had increases like you, we'd be dancing in the streets.

Jenny Richmond
www.sheetmusicplus.com
Old
Crazy Cat Lady
Send a message via AIM to Heidi Send a message via MSN to Heidi Send a message via Yahoo to Heidi
Well it was just a thought :-) Since we really couldn't determine why my sales surged when we spoke.

I really hadn't changed much on the sites I have your stuff on - LOL. I also hadn't seen a surge in traffic to my sites that would account for it. Perhaps people are just clicking more now <shrug>

Heidi
Old
Jenny,

Yes, they are able to update current users software at any time. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I have ebates plug-in installed on my computer for testing purposes. I just went to your site and the plug in does not activate on your site. I went to another site that still partners with ebates, and it does. I'm not sure technically exactly how this type of software works specifically, but since it is tied to the browser, all of these types of programs seem able to recognize their currently affiliated merchants and respond only to those URL's. Maybe someone who understand how BHO's actually work can explain it in layman's terms. I do know that the ebate's program attempts to access the Internet through my firewall whenever I start my computer. I have blocked the programs access, but the ebates pop ups and redirects still occur. But since it is a plug in for IE for me, it must be functioning through my firewall anyway via IE, which of course has access.

Heidi, don't you have a music related site? I would think that she would have been more effected than other affiliates who don't have such targeted traffic.

To understand just how much traffic was being diverted from other affiliates and that coming directly from ebates, you would need to look at your overall stats for your program. You said that ebates was a significant affiliate for you. Did you see a corresponding drop in your overall stats after ebates was deactivated? Let's say that ebates accounted for an average of 10% of your total affilate sales. Did you see a corresponding 10% drop in your affiliate channel during the 2 months after they were dropped? Although using conversation ratios would probably be more accurate to account for normal monthly flucuations, unless your traffic and sales conversions are very stable throughout all months of the year.

Old
Crazy Cat Lady
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLFH:
Heidi, don't you have a music related site? I would think that she would have been more effected than other affiliates who don't have such targeted traffic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I have about 6 music related sites...

The traffic/sales increase she is referring to for me was HUGE over the last 2 months. I've been with SMP since December 1998 and had never had sales like this with them before. I was pretty consistent over the last 1-2 years.

Heidi

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search