Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?

Barnes & Noble - 0 Return Days!

Tools Search
Old
ABW Ambassador
Barnes & Noble - 0 Return Days!

Heads up to B&N affiliates who don't already know this.
Old
What's the word?
Thanks for the alert.
Old
Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts
0 return days... not so noble, but definitely barnie like.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Mama in Charge
My favorite cookies belong to Oriental Trading and Terry's Village. I think they are about 20 minutes , hehe!
Old
ABW Ambassador
Better than girl scout cookies at my house. They last 10 seconds.
Old
The Seal of Aproval
Snowman made a post about a week ago about a merchant with a 1 day cookie. I loved his response:

style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
SNOWMAN: Thank you for the invitation; however, we no longer establish new relationships with merchants who offer unfair program terms. A 1 day cookie duration indicates that a merchant is simply looking for free advertising.
Merchants with terms like these must think that we don't have alternatives.

-rematt
Old
The slot machine that IS paid!
Send a message via AIM to Billy Kay Send a message via Yahoo to Billy Kay
It's the same cookie they had a BeFree - didn't change
Old
Classic Rocker
With all of the problems I read about the initial roll-out, I was waiting a few more days before signing on with them. Thanks for saving me the trouble.
Old
Affiliate Network Rep
Hello,

As Billy mentioned, the cookie duration is the same as it was at BeFree.

NEW additions:
- Barnes & Noble.com is now paying 2% commission on PC & Video Games and Consoles
- Commissions will now be paid monthly through Performics.

Here is the commission structure:
- Books and Textbooks: 5% (eligible for quarterly bonuses)
- Music: 5%
- DVD/Videos: 5%
- Calendars: 5%
- Toys & Games: 5%
- BookQuest Dealer Direct Program: 2.5%
- PC & Video Games: 2% (NEW!)

The quarterly bonus structure will remain the same, but you will receive an automatic 2% bonus commission for all new book sales through Performics links from March 19, 2007 until March 31, 2007.

The BeFree program closes on 3/31/07. If you need assistance transferring your program, please contact BarnesandNobleATpublisher.performics.com.

Thank you,

Jamie Ross
Manager, Affiliate Customer Support
Old
Classic Rocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfjamie
Hello,

As Billy mentioned, the cookie duration is the same as it was at BeFree.
Thanks for putting this first, it saved me from having to read the rest.
Old
I hope that Performics will suggest to Barnes & Noble that they increase their return days. Most merchants offer 30-90 days. Sure, their main competitor only offers 1 day as well, but this is an area where Barnes & Noble could differentiate themselves.
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Old
ABW Ambassador
i am not greedy, but 3-7 days make a lot difference i think
Old
ABW Ambassador
EPC and Payout Rank

Performics shows EPC and payout rank. It will be interesting to see how BN fares on those metrics. More importantly, it will be interesting to see if they feel compelled to compete on the global metrics.

My BeFree Metrics were: 187,238 impressions, 2,017 clicks and $11.29 in commissions. 2000 hits is not sufficient information to judge a site, but is was enough to make me lose interest in really promoting BN.

I wish the cookie duration was longer. I think increasing the cookie duration would be the best way to increase EPC. Short cookie durations only work with straight shopping comparison type sites when a person is at the screen with credit card in hand ready to buy. It does not fare well with content sites where you peak the customer's interest, but they don't actually buy into they are in a buying mood.
Old
Anyone know how to subid the special barnes and noble links?

Do we still add &mid=billy to the end of the link?
Old
Affiliate Network Rep
Hello,

Yes, that is correct. &mid= to the end of the link.

Thank you,

Jamie Ross
Old
ABW Ambassador
I checked performics today, and it looks like Barnes and Noble's first EPC numbers are in. They have have whopping 7 day EPC of $0.22.

If I did my math correct, it looks like you could make enough for one year of minimum wage salary with this program ... if you sent them the entire population of the state of Washington. That is assuming that there is absolutely no cost involved in sending them the entire population of the state of Washington. (It would take 6818182 clicks to make $15,000). Of course, I am not calculating in all of the back end taxes. If you actually hired some one to run a B&N affiliate program, you would probably also have to add in the state of Oregon to pay the taxes.
Old
Affiliate Manager
Send a message via AIM to MINDsprinter

I've heard those in Washington like their books, and fast! So maybe someone out there has a shot with BN...
Old
I sorted by epc, and one comes in below barnes...

Office Max is TWO CENTS
Old
My EPC with Barnes & Noble over the past 7 years has averaged $18, almost 100 times the EPC shown in Performics. Just goes to show that network-wide EPC numbers can be misleading. I'm sure there are many affiliates who have a much higher EPC than me.
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
My EPC with Barnes & Noble over the past 7 years has averaged $18
My EPC at Barnes and Noble at Befree was $.52. It is high because of "test purchases."

I think the lesson is that the 0 return days makes BN a bad choice for the vast majority of sites. If you recommend books, you ain't going to make squat as shoppers toss your recommendation in the cart, then buy after the cookie expiration.

Anyway, if you really have an $18.00 EPC pulling up the average, I guess your run of the mill site would have to give BN the entire population of California each year to make minimum wage.
Old
Affiliate Network Rep
Hello,

EPC calculations are only reported on confirmed orders. Please see the explanation of the Barnes & Noble.com order confirmation process mentioned in their newsletter sent on 4/10/07:

"Payments are based on "confirmed" orders through Performics (vs. shipped sales through BeFree). An order is classified as confirmed 30 days after all items have shipped from our warehouse; in the meantime, it is classified as "pending." We have built this 30-day period into our process to cover our returns window; on the BeFree system, any returned orders led to a negative earned commission, but now a return made after an order is confirmed will no longer affect your earned revenue."

If you have questions about the Affiliate Network, please email us at BarnesandNobleATpublisher.performics.com.

Thank you,

Jamie Ross

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search