OrangeLinks

Tools Search
Old
Affiliate Network Rep
A suggestion for working with OrangeLinks

style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexanne
I've been getting them all along but they are incomprehensive at best. I have no idea what they are or how to incorporate them into my site. The fields in the excel files are garbled and don't tell me which merchant or what product or anything I would need to make a decision either way. Am I missing something?
The attachment to your OrangeLinks email (or FTP file) is a text tab-delimited file. If you open it in Excel you will be able to filter on merchant name, size, offer type, etc.

OrangeLinks will only include new offers, so if your merchants don't add any new offers on a given day you won't receive a file. The feature is intended to get you the offers as quickly as possible; you should absolutely continue to use the interface to browse existing offers.

Hope that helps,
Larry Adams
Affiliate Product Manager
Performics
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Life is Supposed to be Fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_adams
The attachment to your OrangeLinks email (or FTP file) is a text tab-delimited file. If you open it in Excel you will be able to filter on merchant name, size, offer type, etc.

OrangeLinks will only include new offers, so if your merchants don't add any new offers on a given day you won't receive a file. The feature is intended to get you the offers as quickly as possible; you should absolutely continue to use the interface to browse existing offers.

Hope that helps,
Larry Adams
Affiliate Product Manager
Performics
Thanks Larry. I knew there was a secret to viewing those orange links correctly. :-)

I don't normally run coupons or special offers so I might not be the best candidate for them anyway.

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Old
Web Ho - Design B!tch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexanne
I've been getting them all along but they are incomprehensive at best. I have no idea what they are or how to incorporate them into my site. The fields in the excel files are garbled and don't tell me which merchant or what product or anything I would need to make a decision either way. Am I missing something?

My excel file looks like this ('|' represents column)

| Advertiser | Link ID | Link Name | Merchandising Text | Alt Text | Start Date | End Date | Clickserver Link | Image URL | Image Height | Image Width | Link URL | Promo Type |

First thing I do if there is more than one advertiser listed is Data Sort the file by "Advertiser". (that is just me being anal though...LOL)

Then I go through and for example, today in Office Max the link name was "Executive Leather EZ Chairs - Save $40 Instantly, Starting at $99.98!"

I copy that text and paste into my HTML file to use as text for the link. Then I go the the Clickserver Link column and grab the link and put it in my database. I next add the end date and I am good to go.

Much faster than digging through emails from the merchants or loading page after page on performics website to find the links.

Old
Life is Supposed to be Fun!
I just got new orange links and decided to play with them. All the ones I tested lead to a page that says "that link is no longer valid"

And even when I open the file in Excel, it's all jumbled. Doh - Good thing I don't jump on new promotions or I'd be frustrated.

I'll stick with getting links form the web site.

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Old
ABW Ambassador
other than Excel, do you know what other freeware/software can open and manage such file with data columns ?
Old
Affiliate Network Rep
Try Open Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrindavan
other than Excel, do you know what other freeware/software can open and manage such file with data columns ?

http://www.openoffice.org/

It has a spreadsheet program that reads and writes excel, a word processor that reads and writes ms-word, presentation software that reads/writes powerpoint, etc.

And its free.

-larry
Old
ABW Ambassador
I have tried openoffice.
It does not work.
The program force the file to only open in OO Writer (Word Processing software). OO Calc (Spreadsheet) cannot open it.

One more question,

regarding the file sent from email
it has a xls extension, but is not an standard excel file

what is the correct file type of that file ?
text tab-delimited file ?
Old
What's the word?
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_adams
At the risk of sounding like a country bumpkin -- what do webmasters do after they open the OrangeLinks in Excel?

Is the Excel program used to organize the links, or are the links "fed" somewhere?

I know how to do an Excel layout but I am not sure how that would help me when I would like to create a Dreamweaver html page.
I use Excel more for accounting applications, how does Excel help me to create html web pages?
Old
Mama in Charge
I am sort of non programming savvy... so I do this.
I open the excel file
Delete all columns EXCEPT the merchant name, name of the coupon or deal, exp date, and primary link.

Then I delete the things I don't want to post, line by line..

then I paste what is left into my database.

It really only takes a few minutes, and I never miss out on the new promotions and never have to go to Performics to pull links
Old
What's the word?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne
I am sort of non programming savvy... so I do this.
I open the excel file
Delete all columns EXCEPT the merchant name, name of the coupon or deal, exp date, and primary link.

Then I delete the things I don't want to post, line by line..

then I paste what is left into my database.

It really only takes a few minutes, and I never miss out on the new promotions and never have to go to Performics to pull links
Thank you for your explanation.

Do you use a MySQL database? At this point I do not use a database *yet* but I can see how one would come in handy.

1&1 has a built-in database, but it is configured in a way that is not helpful to me ... I'll have to learn MySQL & PHP ... even if it means being able to figure out what is happening in an isolated script.
Old
Mama in Charge
I do. I am sure there is a way to pull this stuff in automatically to a database, but for now, I am in cut and paste mode, lol!
Old
What's the word?
Quote:
I do. I am sure there is a way to pull this stuff in automatically to a database, but for now, I am in cut and paste mode, lol!
I guess Performics' introductory e-mail gives a tip-off that the Orange links are really for use in a datafeed arrangement with this sentence:

Quote:
Performics conducted a beta test of OrangeLinks with the project name ”linkfeeds.”
I have not set up a datafeed for any of my sites yet, so the way I cut & paste is to go to the merchant's area in a given network and copy & paste

I do have software from the ACTINIC CATALOG 7 LE (came in a magazine) but no one has commented on whether or not that would be an effective way to distribute feed -- I guess the only way I'll learn is to try it ... at this time, I don't see how the Orange links could do anything for me.
Old
Mama in Charge
I was actually a beta tester for the links, and did them cut and paste them during the beta testing as well. I hate going into panels and trying to figure out where things are, so I am finding it helpful. I would love to learn how to do programming though. Too bad I got my Master's in Clinical Psychology, the only way I could conduct an analysis of the feeds would be worthless on my website, hee hee!
Old
What's the word?
Quote:
I was actually a beta tester for the links, and did them cut and paste them during the beta testing as well. I hate going into panels and trying to figure out where things are, so I am finding it helpful. I would love to learn how to do programming though. Too bad I got my Master's in Clinical Psychology, the only way I could conduct an analysis of the feeds would be worthless on my website, hee hee!
Correct me if I misunderstood your previous posts but it seems as if you cut & paste the links into some type of pre-made database you designed and/or from a database design you found on the web (or elsewhere).

It seems as if you use a database as opposed to getting links and copying them into a html template.

I can look at a script and [sometimes] figure out what the lines of the script do -- but I am not at the level where I could create something original with MySQL & PHP off the top of my head.

Psychology is always good for understanding consumer behavior and I guess the clinical part would come in when it's time to collect the commission
Old
What's the word?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustNo1
You have to read about it to understand what it's about.
Nice flippant answer TrustNo1

I read this:
Quote:
Effective today, Saturday, June 10, Performics is pleased to introduce OrangeLinksSM – a powerful new way to access, receive and activate advertiser links. With OrangeLinks Performics can deliver pre-generated, live links directly to you via email or FTP. We anticipate that this feature will save you time, improve your productivity and make your life just a little bit easier.

Over the last few months, Performics conducted a beta test of OrangeLinks with the project name ”linkfeeds.” A small group of publishers participated in the beta test and the group realized a significant gain in sales compared to the same period the previous year. We attribute that sales gain to the improved publisher productivity due to having pre-generated, live links delivered directly to publishers.

Now OrangeLinks are available in the ConnectCommerceSM interface. Publishers who sign up to receive OrangeLinksfor any or all of their approved advertisers will receive updated links every 24 hours. OrangeLinks can be delivered via email as an Excel attachment or via FTP.
But aside from the puffery it does not explain how it really benefits the webmaster.

Perhaps the keyword is ”linkfeeds.” Perhaps this is only for webmasters who create pages on the fly from MySQL and PHP.

I am still not sure how a webmaster that generates pages from an html editor such as Dreamweaver is supposed to use the Orange links. How are those links via e-mail different from the Performics links that are already sent to me?
Old
ABW Ambassador
I say that because a lot of times you'll ask questions for example about Goldencan or Adsense when in the past I've linked to the page answering them but you still ask because you don't take the time to read. Just a couple of days ago there is a thread about Homeclick and you ask what they sell.

http://www.homeclick.com

Just look.
Old
Mama in Charge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhia7
Correct me if I misunderstood your previous posts but it seems as if you cut & paste the links into some type of pre-made database you designed and/or from a database design you found on the web (or elsewhere).

It seems as if you use a database as opposed to getting links and copying them into a html template.

Actually I take them and format them on dreamweaver which is a html editor. Then paste the code into my database. So in a round about way, they are html first, then pasted into my database.
Old
What's the word?
Quote:
Actually I take them and format them on dreamweaver which is a html editor. Then paste the code into my database. So in a round about way, they are html first, then pasted into my database.
Well I wish that Performics had specified that the Orange links are good for the webmasters using databases.

As I said earlier, presently I don't use databases (this could change in the future).

Performics sent out this little "press release e-mail" that makes the Orange links sound fantastic for everyone, but in reality the Orange links are for database users. If there is an advantage in Orange links for a webmaster who works strictly in CSS and html (no datafeeds or MySQL yet) I'd like someone to tell me.
Old
ABW Ambassador
"but in reality the Orange links are for database users. "

I don't do databases, don't even know how. So it's for the challenged such as myself too. I just grab the link and add text. Like the example I have on page 2 of this thread:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=46

very easy
Old
What's the word?
Quote:
"but in reality the Orange links are for database users. "

I don't do databases, don't even know how. So it's for the challenged such as myself too. I just grab the link and add text. Like the example I have on page 2 of this thread:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=46

very easy
Is quantity a plus for you in this case? Do they send you the same type of links you could get in the merchant's area of Performics or do they send additional examples (examples that could not be retrieved by going to the merchant's links area?)?
Old
ABW Ambassador
I get any new links my merchants put up in the interface. And then I can pick and choose which ones I put on my site. I have a shopping/deal type site with hundreds of merchants. Can't go thru each one's links everyday looking for them. This way the new links come to me. Sign up, give it a whirl.
Old
What's the word?
Quote:
I get any new links my merchants put up in the interface. And then I can pick and choose which ones I put on my site. I have a shopping/deal type site with hundreds of merchants. Can't go thru each one's links everyday looking for them. This way the new links come to me. Sign up, give it a whirl.

Can someone tell me how FTP delivery works and the benefit of FTP delivery?

If the links come via e-mail, is it a large file (going to take a long time to download?)

Is excel used with FTP delivery or is it also used with e-mail delivery? I would think if I were gettingthe links via e-mail, I'd go straight to Dreamweaver -- unless Excel provides a good organizing benefit.
Old
Mama in Charge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhia7
If there is an advantage in Orange links for a webmaster who works strictly in CSS and html (no datafeeds or MySQL yet) I'd like someone to tell me.
They can be used with html, I am not sure why you would have to have a database.

The advantage I see is if you want to post the latest coupons, deals, sales and products, you have the generated performics link to use and the text link and expiration date.

You can trash the other stuff and use the primary info to keep current information on your site. I know several people using the links with html that do not have databases.

So the advantage is being able to see what is new and have the link and expiration date at your fingertips without going to Performics to try to find it.
Then you have the option to use it or not use it. If you want, Im me and I will show you what I cut from it. If you are adding sale, department, coupon, or deal links, it really is easy to grab what you need and format it into html for your site. I am happy to help you figure this out off this thread if you are interested.
Old
What's the word?
Quote:
They can be used with html, I am not sure why you would have to have a database.

The advantage I see is if you want to post the latest coupons, deals, sales and products, you have the generated performics link to use and the text link and expiration date.

You can trash the other stuff and use the primary info to keep current information on your site. I know several people using the links with html that do not have databases.

So the advantage is being able to see what is new and have the link and expiration date at your fingertips without going to Performics to try to find it.
Then you have the option to use it or not use it. If you want, Im me and I will show you what I cut from it. If you are adding sale, department, coupon, or deal links, it really is easy to grab what you need and format it into html for your site. I am happy to help you figure this out off this thread if you are interested.
Thanks, Anne. You are very helpful.

When you say "Im me" do you mean from an instant messenger such as ICQ or do you mean PM (private message within ABW)?

Anne, I think you are very sweet with your explanations.
I wish the people employed by Performics could have been more clear.
Old
Mama in Charge
you can go to my site and email me so I have your address, and we can correspond via email and I am happy to show you how I use the links. My sales are up at Performics since I started using the orange links.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search