Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Thread: "Required" email Addresses

Tools Search
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Super Dawg Member
"Required" email Addresses

Sorry if this has peviously been discussed. I did a search and could find no prior reference to it.

This comes up on the Performics Login Page:

"Warning, the email address you are using is not recommended. Performics email service provider does not deliver to a list of commonly suppressed prefixes, including this prefix. Please consider using another email address to ensure that you receive email communications from Performics and our advertisers."

They want to tell you what to use as an email address? If you don't follow their rules on what you can use for an email address they won't honor you with the privilege of receiving their emails?
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM
notary sojac
so did they provide a list of no-no addy prefixes?

if not, then I guess you have to avoid webmaster@, admin@, etc.

I think that's how it goes. (may be some addys are potential spam filter fuel.)
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Super Dawg Member
No "no-no" list was provided
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:46 AM
notary sojac
I'm going to assume they want you to get your email from them, but don't want it caught in a spam filter anywhere. Looks like a good "rule" to me.
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:53 AM
ABW Ambassador
If you want to receive they emails, you definitely want to use an email that will not get caught in their spam filters. Maybe "yourname @ yourwebsite.com"
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Super Dawg Member
Well, why does Performics see this as a problem when I have used the same email address for years with CJ, LS, SAS, Adwords, AdSense, MSNAdCenter, Yahoo, GoldenCan, dozens of merchants, dozens of newsletters, etc., with no problem?
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Refusing to send emails to certain email prefixes? I've never heard of this before, either -- but it's a really good idea.

I can think of a number of "red flag" email prefixes, which should normally be reserved for more important communications than just affiliate newsletters.

I'd support blocking the use of any of these prefixes as a "regular" affiliate registration email address:
  • abuse@domainname.com
  • spoof@
  • dns@
  • dnsadmin@
  • 911@
  • fraud@
  • no-spam@
  • nospam@
  • spam@
  • expletive@ (pick your favorite curse word)
  • company-sucks@ (pick your least favorite company)
  • bounce@
  • do-not-reply@
  • noreply@
I suppose I could understand why there might be some hesitation about using some other prefixes, such as:
  • postmaster@
  • webmaster@
  • support@
  • customerservice@
  • orderstatus@
  • complaints@
  • info@
Note here that the claim is not that Performics has some issue with these email addresses, but that its "email service provider" has this restriction. They aren't even prohibiting you from using this address, but they are pointing out that emails sent through their "email service provider" (presumably, affiliate newsletters and wide announcements) won't be sent to you.

Although I hadn't really thought about this before, I assume that this kind of "recipient filtering" was added by most "email delivery service" companies in order to prevent malicious people from submitting email addresses that, when used, would trigger spam filters and IP-blocking at major ISPs. (There are folks who do this to try to trigger blacklisting of companies they don't like; sometimes they create a "troll" spam from an email address and send it to anti-spam activists -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe-job)

Keep in mind, folks, that when I tried to figure out why CJ was getting bounce messages for so many affiliate email addresses, I determined that CJ is sending its email from a well-known "spam-friendly" ISP (Savvis), which just adds one more reason why I won't do business with CJ any longer. It seems perfectly reasonable that any "email service provider" might reasonably want to avoid being labelled a "spammer."

Finally, note that it often makes sense to use different email addresses for your different contacts (assuming that you have unlimited aliasing for your chosen email domain). If I were going to sign up as a Performics affiliate today, I'd probably register with an email address like "Performics_Affiliate@MarkWelch.com" -- and then I'd set up an email filter so emails to that address get put in the right folder. If I started getting unwanted spam emails to that address, I would have a better chance of identifying who sold my email address, and if the onslaught of spam became intolerable, I could change my registration email at Performics and then block all future emails sent to the old address.

AffiliateHound - could you share what the "prefix" was that you were unable to use at Performics?

Last edited by markwelch; February 4th, 2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
ABW Ambassador
I just use myname at mysite.com. No problems. There is a thread around here somewhere with that list of what won't work.
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:30 AM
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwelch
  • postmaster@
  • webmaster@
  • support@
  • customerservice@
  • orderstatus@
  • complaints@
  • info@
I agree with Mark's list. I've found that the use of most of these prefixes is pretty much a guarantee of receiving gobs of spam. I would add "sales@" to the list.
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
I always make up an offbeat prefix for my email addys, to avoid getting the gobs of spam Tech Evangalist mentioned. Although I don't use a different one for every company I deal with (I don't need 100 email addys to check, thank you...), I do have different ones for different general categories of expected email.

But I think it's odd to not SEND to some addresses, especially the ones in Mark's second list (the list of common default emails). What does Performics' mail service provider care, if their emails to "webmaster@" are buried under 10 trillion spams?? It's for *sure* not going to get seen if they don't even send it!
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:15 AM
ABW Ambassador
For what it's worth, I extracted the list of non-recommended email addresses from their JavaScript. I removed one that was obviously just for internal use, and reformatted the rest in a more presentable format. Here's the resulting list:

style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
admin*@*
alerts@*
blacklist@*
blackhole*@*
bulkmail@*
contact@*
devnull@*
domain@*
domreg@*
domtech@*
email@*
ftp@*
help@*
hostmaster@*
hr@*
info@*
information@*
it@*
jobs@*
mailer-daemon@*
maps@*
marketing@*
news@*
noc@*
postmaster@*
privacy@*
rbl@*
remarks@*
root@*
route@*
sales@*
*security*@*
*spam*@*
support@*
techsupport@*
test@*
usenet@*
uucp@*
webmaster@*
webteam@*
www@*
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
I'm not very active on ABestWeb anymore because I disapprove of certain changes. If you post a reply intended for me, I might miss it.
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Affiliate Network Rep
Sorry I'm a bit late to the thread, but by now I think everything I would have said has been said, so thanks.

A couple things to note:

We can still send system generated messages to the "not recommended" list. So password notifications, etc. will still come through.

The messages we send out via our email service provider are also posted in our announcements section (midway down on the right when you log in).

Finally, I realize I should give you an option to specify an alternative delivery address for new marketer announcements, monthly newsletters, etc. We'll be adding that in the next couple months, but I'm also interested to know how you'd like this information presented other than email?

Do you want a message center in the application, a blog, bboards? I've read elsewhere that those get ignored a lot. I'd like help in figuring out what medium is best as well as how much access you want to give to advertisers who want to get in touch with you.

Thanks,
Larry Adams
Affiliate Product Manager
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:55 AM
As I noted above, I can understand why many of these email addresses (looking at are list extracted by MichaelColey) might be routinely blocked by an "email service provider," but I think a few do fall into the category of "problematic."

marketing@ -- Absolutely ridiculous to block this one; what could be a more logical email address for materials pertaining to marketing?

webmaster@ -- troublesome because so many webmasters use this as their standard or default email address for email pertaining to a web site, including affiliate programs.

I think that six others (admin@ contact@ email@ info@ root@ sales@) share the same status (commonly used as the "only" or "primary" contact address for some affiliates), but seem more reasonable for blocking.

Larry's reply repeats the same point that I mentioned earlier (and which AffiliateHound acknowledged in his initial post): webmasters are not prohibited from using one of these email prefixes, but are being warned that any "bulk" emails being sent through the email service provider will not be sent to them. I would hope that Performics would make sure that any "really important" announcements (such as, "the XYZ affiliate program will be ending on February 6th") would definitely be emailed to these webmasters directly.

I definitely like the idea of offering TWO contact email addresses, one for "routine" affiliate newsletters, announcements, and promotions, and another for more serious issues. That would allow me to filter the important emails separately.

Suggestion: It might even make sense to offer more than two addresses -- for example, a separate email address for "coupon changes," another for "updated datafeed notifications," "changes to payment terms," "PPC bidding rule changes," etc. That would probably make administration easier for affiliate partners.

I am not an affiliate of Performics, and don't plan to become one.
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Leader wrote: > "I always make up an offbeat prefix for my email addys, to avoid getting the gobs of spam Tech Evangalist mentioned. Although I don't use a different one for every company I deal with (I don't need 100 email addys to check, thank you...), I do have different ones for different general categories of expected email. // But I think it's odd to not SEND to some addresses, especially the ones in Mark's second list (the list of common default emails). What does Performics' mail service provider care, if their emails to "webmaster@" are buried under 10 trillion spams?? It's for *sure* not going to get seen if they don't even send it!" <

Checking Multiple Addresses: Wow, is there anyone here not using aliasing for incoming emails? That's where you configure your email account so that ANY email to ANY address at your domain, except those otherwise defined as accounts, are redirected to your main account (sometimes root@ or postmaster@ but often whatever you designate). Thus, when I say I create a new email address for every relationship, I don't create a new email account but simply use a new alias. Later, if a particular destination address becomes too spam-infested, I can block email to that address. For those who can't do "aliasing," it's usually relatively easy to create two or more accounts and then configure your email tool (Outlook or Eudora, for example) to automatically check each mailbox for you automatically.

Why Not Mail anyway? Performics' email Service Provider (ESP) isn't concerned about the email not being read -- they are concerned that the email may trigger a blacklisting, either automatically or by provoking someone. If I get lots of emails from the same source, I will block the sending domain or IP address (or both). The ESP's concerns are:

(1) email sent to "general mailbox" addresses (like webmaster@ or root@, but also sales@ and info@) is quite likely to be monitored by automated tools that may flag the ESP's mailings as spam and then add the IP address or domain to the recipient's blacklist.

(2) email sent to an address like abuse@ or fraud@ or even postmaster@ is usually going to someone who is "excessively defensive" and likely to take action if the email is perceived as spam.

(3) People who want to damage a company (competitor or perceived 'victim' of your company) may deliberatel submit email addresses that they know will trigger spam filters and blacklisting. In 1998 and 1999, I was a vocal opponent of spam, and I'd often find my email address added to hundreds of mailing lists on a single day, by someone who was simply typing my address into forms (this was before all legitimate discussion lists adopted a "confirmed opt-in" system). In some cases, I was able to trace the harassment to the source IP, which I then identified as the IP address of a spammer whom I'd complained about. Soon after, I found spammers using my email address as the "From" address, in order to flood me with thousands of "bounce" messages and to cause me to be identified falsely as a spammer.

As I said, it's a really good idea for an ESP to refuse to email "non-urgent" bulk mailings to certain email prefix addresses.

I assume that most affiliates -- certainly more than half of all affiliates and probably 99% of serious affiliates -- have the ability to define email aliases or to create multiple email accounts for their domain at no cost. Thus, while this may be an administrative "task" that requires effort, it's not a heavy burden.

Again, I'm not a Performics affiliate and don't plan to become one, but this issue certainly is not a reason I'd use as the basis for deciding whether to work with them.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search