|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Notices

Hello and help! :-)

Tools Search
Old
Hello and help! :-)

Howdy all,

My name is Tim, I'm from Brighton Colorado, which is about 20 miles northeast of Denver. While I'm not new at web development, (I own a small, which is to say a one man shop) web development firm, I am VERY new at the idea of affiliate marketing and have some questions, but first I'll tell a little about myself so you'll know how I got here.

I was born in... just kidding, I won't go that far back :-). I've had a few different careers and fell into working on the Internet about 9 years ago. I was doing outside sales in the automotive parts industry when the company I was working for over extended themselves and had to lay off people all across the country... I was one of the lucky ones in Denver. A friend and his wife were selling collectibles on the Internet, (alot on a popular auction site that I won't name). He told me that I could make a lot of money selling collectibles online, working for myself. At the time, I was tired of working for someone else, so I thought I would give it a try.

It worked pretty well, so well in fact that after about 2 3/4 years I worked my way out of my marriage... almost 20 hours a day, 7 days a week isn't real conducive (sp?) to a healthy relationship... found that out the hard way.

Did I mention that when I started down this road (the collectibles business), I didn't own a computer, had never been on the Internet and didn't know HTML from shinola? But I bought some books and taught myself HTML and developed 10 sites for the collectibles biz. What I found out over that 2 3/4 years, was that I kind of enjoyed developing web sites. By the time her and I split, I was pretty tired of collectibles myself, so after her and I split, I decided to change venues and develop web sites for other people.

I went out and got some clients and also taught myself PHP... things were going pretty well until December '05 when I found out that all of the crazy things I did as a kid and young man are coming back to haunt me. I was a 15' pole vaulter, rode bareback and saddle bronc, plus quite a number of other not so safe things... anyway, all of the falling from great heights had taken its toll. I have a spinal cord injury, the doc told me I could be paralyzed if I get rear ended in a parking lot, and that I qualify for disability... NOT my style!

It was extremely difficult to work for the first 6 months of '06, but as a result I came up with a few ideas and my business began evolving again. I decided that I wanted to primarily develop my own projects. Projects that help small businesses grow and prosper in some way, and then I donate 50% of the profits to Craig Hospital in Denver. I don't expect many to know about Craig, but they're a leading research and rehabilitation hospital for spinal cord injuries... and no, I'm not a patient there, nor do I profit by mentioning their name. I just think they do great things, plus they're local for me. I can actually meet, and have met with the President of the hospital, so they're who I decided to work with.

So far, I've developed a couple of projects and have ideas for others. I was on the local news in November for one of the projects, and have been getting some pretty good traffic to that site. This site is to help Colorado businesses get found on the Internet. The business pays a one time listing fee, and gets a graphical link, usually their logo, to their business site. But, I'm not getting enough sales, so I decided to try affiliate programs to prime the pump, so to speak.

Which brings me to some of my questions. I joined Link Share and have been approved for some affiliate links. After being approved, I got to see their code to construct the links.

Here's where the challenge comes in, and I hope my explanation makes sense, my site is data driven, (written in PHP). The area for listings is basically a series of 100 pixel squares, each square is controlled by the DB. Obviously the links are larger than a 100 pixel square, so each llink consists of multiple squares. I'm trying to figure out how to include Link Shares second image source... their tracking image, so I get credit for any sales the merchant may receive from my site without disrupting the look, feel or operation of my site. I spoke with someone at Link Share yesterday and they recommended this site to get some help... so the first question is, has anyone dealt with this on their site? Secondly, I've been browsing the forums and am sometimes boggled by the abreviations... OPM, what's that? Is there a place on the site that will tell me what the abreviations are?

Thanks

T
Old
Comfortably Numb
Welcome Mr. T! I think you should have split your post. There is a Linkshare forum here that would be a better place for your question specific to them. You are of course in the right place for most of your post though.

The acronyms are covered here. OPM Outsourced Program Manager
Old
Affiliate Network Rep
Welcome to ABestWeb and Affiliate Marketing!

You're definitely in the right place to learn. Make good use of the search function for your questions.

Best of luck to you!
Old
Thanks bumpaw! That helps... and here I thought OPM was other peoples money... PMA = OPM, as in positive mental attitude = other peoples money... :-)

Argh... If I ask that question again in the Link Share forum, will I get in trouble for posting it twice now?
Old
Ride It Like You Stole It
Welcome to ABW!!! I'm so happy, another redneck is here (I live in VERY rural Ohio and have a taxidermy business....lol)

You'll love it here, everyone is very nice
Old
Thank yall kindly rgrsgrl
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Affiliate Manager
Send a message via MSN to BeachBDM
Welcome to ABW!

Sandee
Old
Beachy
Welcome aboard, Red. C'mon in, the water's fine. For affiliate marketing you've definitely found the right place.

Here's my tongue-in-cheek solution to your LinkShare tracking pixel question: Investigate the merchants in ShareASale. SAS doesn't use a tracking pixel.
Old
Thanks for the welcome Beach and Beachy... you guys know each other? LOL And thanks for the suggestion Beachy, I'll check out SAS. I'm experimenting with my code and DB. I tried using a field in the DB that I haven't been using and adding the code to call the info in my PHP page, but since their tracking image is 1 pixel by 1 pixel, it broke up the page... I expected that, now, if I set the image size to zero by zero pixels, it doesn't break up the page. Anyone know if their tracking image will work if the size parameters are set to zero?
Old
Welcome to the forum T!!!
Old
Outsourced Program Manager
Send a message via MSN to e-Gazer
Welcome HighTech!

ABW is definitely the place to be if you're looking for info on the affiliate biz. Looking forward to getting to know you around the boards, and to following your progress.

Best regards,
Old
OPM Queen
Send a message via AIM to Kristin Kinsey Send a message via Yahoo to Kristin Kinsey Send a message via Skype™ to Kristin Kinsey
This is my understanding, as it has been about 2 years since I have used Linkshare.

The pixel is used for tracking impressions, and it tracks that impression each time the image is loaded, so it you make it 0x0 you might as well just take it out of the link. They are used for tracking impressions not sales, so if you take it out, you won't see how many times it is viewed but you will still see clicks and receive commission for your sales.

Welcome BTW
Old
Thanks guy, Liz and Kristin!

Kristin,

So the tracking image isn't necessary other than for LinkShare to tell how many visitors I send a merchant? Very interesting! If that's the case, I can stop the dain bramage... LOL, and just not worry about it. Is there a way to confirm that? The guy I spoke with yesterday said it was required.

T
Old
OPM Queen
Send a message via AIM to Kristin Kinsey Send a message via Yahoo to Kristin Kinsey Send a message via Skype™ to Kristin Kinsey
I don't know if they required or not for Linkshare. I know it's not for CJ though. Have you talked to the AM of the program?

Hope that helps at least a little.... lol
Old
You have no idea how much help this is... thank you!

AM? That's affiliate manager right? Now if I can just figure out what an affiliate manager is... would that be the person that represents the merchant at their company or someone at LinkShare? Good thing there's no such thing as a stupid question... LOL. Cuz I gotta bunch of 'em.
Old
OPM Queen
An affiliate manager is the person that manges the merchants affiliate. They may have someone in house representing the program or outsource it to Linkshare or another OPM not directly working for Linkshare. You should be able to log into Linkshare and go to the details of that program and find out who it is, or at the very least an email to contact them.

Did you recieve a welcome email from the program? Perhaps the signature has some contact information?
Old
ABW Ambassador
Send a message via MSN to DesignerWiz Send a message via Yahoo to DesignerWiz
Hello hightechredneck, welcome to the ABW forum board!
http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190
Old
Dynamite! Thanks for the help. I'll start contacting AM's tomorrow.
Old
Hi liz...

Hi Liz...

hw r u? thz is mike... very new to thz affiliate marketing.... can u help me out to maximize the revenue.. already i'm working with few affiliate networks... as per my traffic i'm not doing gud that much i feel.... also wannna discuss with u reg the hw to maximize.... can u help me in thz? hope will get reply from u asap.

bye! Have a gud day!

style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Gazer
Welcome HighTech!

ABW is definitely the place to be if you're looking for info on the affiliate biz. Looking forward to getting to know you around the boards, and to following your progress.

Best regards,

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search