Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Notices

Howdy All!!!

Tools Search
Old
Howdy All!!!

I am a motivated, but not yet indoctrinated, perspective Affilliate Marketer (at least I think that is the route I would like to pursue).

I have been reading a number of forums, informational websites, blogs, etc.....for about 3 months now. The one message that has come across very clearly is that this business is not a get rich quick solution, hard work and digestion of tons of information is a requirement, and it is going to take time to build a business that can support the needs of my daughters cat. Anything beyond that level of income is going to take an additional measure of hard-work and maybe a little luck.

I get all that and fortunately I am gain-fully employed (although somewhat hesitant to desire the rest of life be spent in my current occupation) so I can afford to take my time and learn all the in-outs-problems-gotcha's-don't do's that seem to be well documented here.

I have been spending about 4 hours a day reading as many 'interesting' threads as possible to try and pick up tidbits of information I can use as I approach building my first website and then trying to monetize it. I am probably going to ask some really dumb questions as I get more active in this forum....so I would like to apologize up front. I intend to move forward with a similar amount of work with the expectation that every 3 days of my work is equal to 1 of yours.

I have never failed at anything in my life and I have always been taught to finish what I start. That is part of my hesitation in getting started with a website....I want to know exactly the battle I am facing and make sure my interest does not wane in the face of it. It hasn't happened yet because I see huge potential 2-3 years down the road in both what I can accomplish and the global impact the internet is making on our lives.

Sorry for being so long winded but I realize that newbies can come with lofty expectations (from reading posts here and elsewhere) and I want to remove myself from the standard categorization. Feel free to pee on my Cheerios if you feel the need to keep me grounded and my expectations low...just recognize I come into this with high expectations that are not clouded with the promise of quick riches.
Old
As long as you just read you'll never get it done.

Get a domain name - a host (I use HostGator) - and start building pages and a website.

You'll learn more from that than anything else. You'll find out what works and what doesn't work.
Old
I agree completely, hence the reason for starting to post here. I've got a lot to learn and there are is a group of folks here that seemed to have a good deal of information. I have a hard time learning by just reading as you implied so I can see value in getting started.

I only lurked for so long to get past a particularly busy part of the summer (I have 4 kids and 1 more on the way) and to 'learn' as much as possible through others experience. It also gave me the opportunity to get my base strategies formulated so I could start testing what works and ask intelligent questions on this board.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Outsourced Program Manager
Send a message via Yahoo to Ronald Marva - SEOP
Welcome to the forum!

It does take time to learn while reading...I suggest you start to write blogs and widen your online social network. These things should help you achieve more traction once you decided to go for it. Active forum participation is also a great way to learn the trade.

Ronald Marva
Contact info:
949-528-6542 | Yahoo:ronaldmarva | Skype: ronald.marva | Twitter
Join our affiliate programs: HOMELIVINGSTYLE l HSSSURF l ROBERTWAYNE l eBOOKS l FINETUXEDOS l ACEJEWELRY | BLOOMEXUSA
“He who ceases to be better, ceases to be good.”
Old
Send a message via Skype™ to PDXreader
Hi and welcome!
Old
Hi 003 and welcome.

I suspect that once you start your website your thinking will develop more focus.
I.e. you won't have to worry about what might be the 'general rules for websites' - you will concentrate on what works for YOUR site on YOUR topic with YOUR approach.

I have asked a few questions on this forum about things that have worried me: of course the answers are of the form "I have found that, as a general rule...".

I certainly appreciate the answers freely supplied by the experienced members BUT I always ask myself "How does this apply to MY site, MY topic, MY specific situation?"

Success? Whether you achieve success with a site depends on what YOU wanted to happen with your site.

I have one wierd site that I mainly use for experiments (like 'I wonder how easy it is to install this script') - it's a crazy mixed-up place but it still gets about 20 visitors a day and a little bit of adsense income. Is it a success? I don't know. It's certainly a source of surprises.

Well, those are just a few random thoughts stimulated by your introduction.

Again, welcome, and good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old
Comments appreciated

Hairy_Hermit

Thanks for the advice and motivational words. This endeavor, like most any in life, is really more about just sitting down and doing it. That is a message shared in this thread and one I have seen play out many times. You can have great ideas and desires but until you put some effort into them you have no chance of success no matter the potential the idea had.

My guess is that since the site is not necessarily intended to be a profit maker...most people would consider that little bit of income a successful test for you. For me, just starting, a dollar or two would be considered a nice pickup.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Send a message via AIM to Stephanie Lichtenstein
Welcome to ABW! I think through this forum you will find more motivation!
Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein
Old
Affiliate Manager
Hi and welcome! You sound like you have it together more than most.
Old
Thanks Slow Cooker and Steph-ARC!!

Good to meet you guys and hope we can learn something from each other.
Old
ABW Ambassador
to ABW!
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam0003
I only lurked for so long to get past a particularly busy part of the summer (I have 4 kids and 1 more on the way).
Wow, you have a ready-made topic for a blog: raising a large family.
Quote:
My guess is that since the site is not necessarily intended to be a profit maker...most people would consider that little bit of income a successful test for you. For me, just starting, a dollar or two would be considered a nice pickup.
Aim higher than your reach—INTEND for your site to be a profit maker! If you don't feel it in your gut, it ain't gonna happen. It's perfectly fine—even necessary—to have a big goal (words of advice I need to follow).
Old
every village needs an idiot..
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam0003
I can afford to take my time and learn all the in-outs-problems-gotcha's-don't do's that seem to be well documented here
superCool's advice
1) don't take your time. dive in a go for it. if you take your time it will take forever. mistakes are good as long as you learn from them.

2) focus on getting traffic and promoting your site. without traffic your site will never do anything

3) the first dollar can be very hard to earn so don't give up

good luck
Old
Business is to practice

You want to success, you have to try something yourself. Do just read. I know how you feel, I was there.

In business world, practice is the rule. Articles and books can help, but not always necessary. Most of the successful business people dont have a PhD or master degree. But they all practice a lot, and learn from real experiences.
I think you should do the same.

To your success

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search