Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

92 Spams per Hour

Tools Search
Old
ABW Ambassador
92 Spams per Hour

I recently set up several of my email accounts (none of my affiliate managed accounts) at gmail and I'm amazed at how many spam emails it catches an hours. I counted about 92 an hour today. I was telling a long time affiliate about it and he simply laughed and called me a "rookie"!

Got me wondering how many spam emails other get per hour. Thought it might make an interesting thread here.

How many do you get an hour?
Old
ABW Ambassador
I logged into an AOL account from a long time ago, no spam.

My hotmail accounts:
1 just for merchant consumer newsletters - 0 spam
My personal one for friends and family - 0 spam
My main business one, I had 4 today, 1 second to delete.

I've never really had much of a spam problem.
Old
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
Trust you are the exception rather than the rule Recently I changed some server settings to start failing emails that are sent addressed to fake addresses and unused any longer addresses instead of blackholing them and my spam on those domains has dropped considerably. But it's picking up on any addresses I use for network mail or conference mail, so I guess it's time to start firing up some gmail accounts to catch unwanted mail from those sources.
Old
Ballpark figure...I get about 100 a day. And, it seems like 50% of them are for male enhancement products. I guess spam must work for these products.

Jim
Old
ABW Ambassador
I can remember when I got 100 a day. Now at nearly 100 an hour, I'm amazed. What concerns me is what will it be like a year from now.

And this is all at just four email accounts I have going through gmail.
Old
ABW Ambassador
I have never gotten a single spam at my Gmail address. I've only given out that address to Linkshare and BeFree.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
MasterMike
Just 92? Thats a light hour for me
Old
Life is Supposed to be Fun!
A few years ago when I counted, I was getting more than 6000 a day. It's completely out of control.

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Old
Analytics Dude
Gmail does a great job filtering that stuff out. On the flip side, when I do scan my Spam folder, I've only once out of maybe 10000 emails had to pull one out that wasn't spam.

I run most of my domain emails through the Gmail filter as well, and manage them from there.

Kayak Fishing
Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing
Old
2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner 
Spam up the ying-yang here so I've resorted to Gmail as the hosting and ISP companies are too cheap to buy some spam filters that work. Sure wish I knew a way to get Gmail to talk back to my hosted domain POP3 e-mail servers and remove the deleted Gmail spam I empty at Google every few days..

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"
Old
MasterMike
why don't you just have google be your email provider for your hosted domain. I do it
http://mail.hardwaregeeks.com
Old
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noth
On the flip side, when I do scan my Spam folder, I've only once out of maybe 10000 emails had to pull one out that wasn't spam.
I usually get one or two legitimate emails in my spam folder each day. They can be quite hard to find, though, when there are thousands of others. Rather than scrolling through page after page, I've found using the search feature (just append "in:spam" to your search) to be the fastest way to find them. I usually search for various keywords that are usually in legitimate emails but not spam (my full name, "affiliate", "affiliates", "coupon", "coupons", the names of various networks, etc). Alternatively, if I am going to go through the spam page by page, I have found that I can get rid of 80% of it by searching for words that are commonly in spam but would never be in a legitimate email to me (body parts, drug names, "replica", "pharmacy", etc.).
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Old
Life is Supposed to be Fun!
Michael you have the patience of a saint. I delete my spam folder without looking for legitimates anymore. There are just way too many of them and I still get plenty to deal with in my inbox so I've decided the time it takes to search through 99.99% total crap isn't worth the potential one that's legit in thousands.

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Old
ABW Ambassador
We run a dedicated antispam server that currently services 98 email addresses (some of which are inactive). A realtime status monitor displays all the email communications line by line. Most spam is stopped in it's tracks at the SMTP level and the rest progresses through filtering before they're released to the mail server. Outgoing mail also passes through the spam server to prevent users from sending prohibited email. During the day the status window scrolls up constantly with email communications.
The server creates a daily raw log as well as Excel files that separate spam email from valid email. Yesterday's stats produced the following results...

Spam: 4,956 emails (206.5 per hour on average over a 24 hour period)
Valid email: 1,246
75% of all mail through the server is

X
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexanne
Michael you have the patience of a saint. I delete my spam folder without looking for legitimates anymore. There are just way too many of them and I still get plenty to deal with in my inbox so I've decided the time it takes to search through 99.99% total crap isn't worth the potential one that's legit in thousands.
Yeah, I just do a quick scan of mine to see if there is anythig legit. This is why I don't have any of my affiliate management emails routing through any spam filter. I certainly don't want to miss an important email there, so I'm still manually deleting all the spam.
Old
OPM and Moderator
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via MSN to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Skype™ to Chuck Hamrick
I changed to Gmail in the last month and am getting a ton of spam starting yesterday.
Old
More Cheesier Than Ever
Spam Math

If Bprolong@ newadvent.ru can send out 92 Spams per Hour and
ehdjuxcijtqx@ borderfcu.cn can send out 82 Spams per Hour,

How long will it take for both Bprolong@ newadvent.ru and ehdjuxcijtqx@ orderfcu.cn to send out 500 Spams, if they work together?
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead
If Bprolong@ newadvent.ru can send out 92 Spams per Hour and
ehdjuxcijtqx@ borderfcu.cn can send out 82 Spams per Hour,

How long will it take for both Bprolong@ newadvent.ru and ehdjuxcijtqx@ orderfcu.cn to send out 500 Spams, if they work together?
2.8735632183908045977011494252874 hours

X
Old
More Cheesier Than Ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomers
2.8735632183908045977011494252874 hours
Your answer is correct, but what is impressive are the number decimal places you got on the fraction 500/174 - how did you manage that? I guess you could have simply divided it out the old fashioned way.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Plain old Windows Calculator

X
Old
I get very few email Spam messages through my account managed by Godaddy (maybe two/week)- however - I get a bunch of screen scraper bots (server Spam!!!) on my affiliate domains - 40,000 to 60,000 per day with HostGator trying to ban them - I block them at the top of my programs but they still use some bandwidth trying to get through.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheck
I get a bunch of screen scraper bots (server Spam!!!) on my affiliate domains
What are screen scraper bots?

X
Old
Is there any way to prevent spammers from "spoofing" an email address or domain name?

I have received as many as 3,000 bounced/returned spam email messages in one day that were sent by a spammer using my email address and/or domain name.
Ken
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken
Is there any way to prevent spammers from "spoofing" an email address or domain name?

I have received as many as 3,000 bounced/returned spam email messages in one day that were sent by a spammer using my email address and/or domain name.
Ken
Nope. There is no way to keep someone from doing that short of punching their lights out. My experience is that the first part of spoofed addresses is some fictional name added to @ourdomainname.com. Because our anti-spam server blocks all invalid email addresses (ones that do not belong to our mail server) at the SMTP level I never see those NDRs.

X
Old
I get about 400 spam emails a day. I don't sweat it though, it comes with the terrain

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search