Welcome, guest! Login Join
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?

Advertise "in" the video game?

Tools Search
Old
Advertise "in" the video game?

I have found many online video games allow you to host games on your server. You can also modify various things in game from map modifications (virtual posters and such) and even adding script to display at various times across the screen. See example here I have been doing this as a hobby, think there is a future in it?

www.navycs.com
www.navycs-superstore.com
Old
ABW Ambassador
SO you can add advertisements to your maps on that server..??

Cool - I play online FPS - A LOT more than I should..
It does give me something to do besides build webpages..
I kick serious arse in FarCry..

BUT ANYWAY
as far as sales goes how do you make sales throough the ads in the maps?
Or am I way off here..?

" I remember the days of The CounterStrike BETA Tests - it was really a great game until they went commercial and ruined it - the original beta test was RAW and it was a great game! "
Old
ABW Ambassador
Most companies don't mind some the server owner plugging their services, this does break the tos for most games. Most allow all non-commercial modifications.

Also, I can't believe the cost of running a server is displaced by the ingame ads, can users click them? Or is it just texture changes? Companies like massive offer in game ads, but they only do that straight with the developers or publishers.

Chet
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Actually I have been in communication with Valve software and displaying various adds in game is not a violation of terms of service. It is the only company I talked with. They make money because people provide a place for people to play. The server software itself is freeware, downloadable from their site.

No, a person cannot click thru an add in the game. I advertise my website from within the game and allow "clans" to submit their banner to me which I turn into an ingame advertisement for them. No real expectation of massive sales from my one server. I do however see where server companies can sell space to advertisers, much like they do for their own hosting, plus the occasional banner in maps.

One of the toughest markets to hit is the 14-30 yr old male, mainly because they are playing online games
Old
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Also, I can't believe the cost of running a server is displaced by the ingame ads, can users click them?
Whether they technically can or not, NO f'n WAY is someone going to interrupt a hot game to click an ad!!

So to be of any value, the advertiser would have to be able to do branding with super skill, rather than expecting any immediate response. Lotsa luck in an FPS-type game, where being distracted from the immediate events means instant death!

It might go over in an RPG, though...another thing to read is fine (except during a battle scene), heck it could even be cool to have ad fliers and stuff laying around that the character could pick up, if done right. The key there would be making the ads mesh with the game atmosphere instead of looking "wrong" like so many advertising attempts like this end up.

As for the expense, I'm not sure how it'd compare to other forms of branding-type advertising. People wouldn't stop playing to "click there," though, unless the game really sucked!!
Old
I like traffic lights
I'd be very careful.

IIRC, konami has a patent on dynamic adverts within video games.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Like I said most companies don't mind if you are just doing it on the servers you pay for, a trade-off for running them. Packaging it up and releasing it is a whole other story.

But to clarify:
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
The server software itself is freeware, downloadable from their site.
The software is not freeware, while there is no cost associated with the downloading and running of the server version, the program is still copyright protected as is any and all textures, characters etc inside. What you describe doing with the clan stuff etc is not only fine, but encouraged, pretty nice to do for the people on your server.

Here is a company that currently offers in game advertising.
http://www.massiveincorporated.com/

Chet

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search