Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Check Your Domains - AT&T/AOL Blocking Some

Tools Search
Old
ABW Ambassador
Check Your Domains - AT&T/AOL Blocking Some

I have domains thru different registrars. One is down and goes to some AT&T error page:

Notice to AT&T Internet Customers
You have been directed to this AT&T Web page as a result of having clicked a link within an e-mail that you recently received which has been suspected of fraudulent activity. This e-mail message and its content
is unauthorized by AT&T and should be disregarded.

The e-mail likely appeared to have been sent by AT&T and requested that you either update your billing information or verify personal data associated with your current AT&T Internet account. You may have been
asked to provide personal information such as: driver's license, mother's maiden name, or your credit card account information.

AT&T has taken the necessary steps in order to block access to this suspected fraudulent Web site and has diverted you to this notification page to protect you against possible credit card fraud and/or identity theft.

To facilitate our investigation into this incident, please forward the complete e-mail message you have received (with header information attached) to scam@abuse-att.net.

To obtain important information pertinent to protecting yourself against identity theft, you may wish to visit the US Federal Trade Commission's Identity Theft Web site, which is located at http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/.

Thank you for your cooperation.

That's thru IE

Thru AOL browser getting:
Web Site Not Responding

The web site you have requested may be experiencing technical difficulties due to a busy or broken server.

Please try again by clicking the Reload icon on your navigation bar or, if that doesn't work, you may want to return to the site at a later time. 502 Connection Hangup

I read that and said WTF is that. So i called my registrar and they said this started today and they're getting a backlash. Said it was on AT&T end. I said i have AOL and he said they run thru them or something like that. I've been checking some other sites and have noticed some here and there. I think you can only see it if your ISP is thru AOL or AT&T, something like that, don't quite understand it. It's one of my smaller sites that doesn't bring in much but i am pissed that people are seeing that up there. I think they are setting themselves up for some problems by having that message displayed. Trying to find a phone # to someone at AT&T
Old
ABW Ambassador
Ok, it's back working again.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Nice quick support, this is what they just sent:

"Your website is up and running normally. Unfortunately, AT&T is not. Anybody
with an internet connection that gets routed through AT&T's backbone is getting
redirected by AT&T. We're trying to contact AT&T about this serious routing
problem right now."

And just checked and problems again.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Internet Cowboy
They do that to the wrong site and someone will take them to court and extract some cash from them. I don't have AOL or AT&T so I can't check mine.
Amazing! Always something it seems.

Old
ABW Ambassador
Yeah, i'm pretty pissed. To type in one of my domains and seeing that message. I've been checking some other people's sites and see it with a few. If it was my major site, i think i'd flip.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Any lawyers in the house. Wouldn't this be libelous?
Old
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Any lawyers in the house.
Never mind, I just saw that the site I had linked to is for a Canada-based lawyer! So what he says probably only pertains to Canadian libel law. Darnit...
Old
ABW Ambassador
It's hard finding a real person to talk too at AT&T. They basically hijacked one of my domain names. I type in one of my domains and it goes to their page with the nonsense i posted above. Maybe someone can decipher, i'm seriously tech challenged, this is what the online chat guy told me:

"We apologize for all the inconvenience that is being caused. Non AT&T customers may be experiencing redirects of their urls to a worldnet page with a description of the ongoing phishing scam. So for the ongoing phishing scam our network engineers "blackholed" these hijacked urls to protect the security of att wn customers"

So what does that mean?
Old
Outsourced Program Manager
Send a message via Skype™ to John Jupp
Anyone can send an email purporting to come from your url. What it seems the isp has done is to block the url completely and this has resulted in your sites being blocked.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Just woke up and it looks to be working again, still a little pissed about it. I guess someone was using one of my domains, doing bad stuff. Still want to find out who actually was behind redirecting my domain. If someone was using it somehow for bad, the person who decided to redirect to that AT&T page should have at least contacted the site in question. What they, and i'm not a lawyer, was just set themselves up. I lost count of how many other sites i tried last nite, well over a 100 and found this happening with 4 others and 1 got back asking if i could take a screenshot and i did.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jupp
Anyone can send an email purporting to come from your url. What it seems the isp has done is to block the url completely and this has resulted in your sites being blocked.
This has happened to me, and it sucks. I switched, and haven't had a problem since.

However, I do worry when I get a bunch of bounced emails - emails I never sent! Then I wonder how many spoofed emails came from my domain (spoofed by someone else).

Can't win, when it comes to SPAM.

Fred
Old
Damn right it sucks!!!

I've had bounced emails from at least three of my sites. The spammers particularly like bouncing from my music site (Pasadena High School has a similar url) and my travel site (picked it up after previous owner lapsed it), where I get no end of German spam.

It helps reduce it using four servers on three continents so my ip addresses alter frequently. Still a real pain though.

The problem however is that most companies don't bother to actually check the material but just assume it's from you. If they bothered to view source they'd see it was a shylock outfit masquerading as you every time.

What I have noticed is that this is not done as a prank. Your competition may do this to undermine your commerce. It also generates a poor reputation for you which can have profound implications.

Either way, my webhosts are maintaining a database of these miscreants and amassing evidence for a lawsuit internationally. It's surprisingly easy to find out their telephone numbers and home addresses regardless where in the world they live. Spammers always make mistakes.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Saw this on the home page of AOL, so something to do with phishing:

AOL Launches Major Campaign Against Phishing
Round-the-Clock Blocking of Suspected Phishing Sites

DULLES, VA – APRIL 20, 2005 – America Online has announced a major new initiative to combat "phishing" -- the practice of using fraudulent e-mail and fake Web sites to solicit sensitive personal information from users. As part of that campaign, America Online has partnered with Cyota, Inc., the leading anti-fraud and online security solution provider for financial institutions, to identify and block access to suspected phishing sites through a 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week monitoring process.

"Phishing and identity theft are the fastest-growing security threats online, and we will work around the clock to protect our members from scam artists and criminals," said Tatiana Platt, AOL Senior Vice President and Chief Trust Officer. "By limiting our members' access to suspected phishing sites, we're cutting the lines before a phisher can reel them in to steal sensitive financial and personal information. Criminals beware: If you go phishing on AOL, you just might hook something that bites back."

America Online is working with Cyota to evaluate potential phishing sites based on member feedback through its "Report Spam" button and through other sources. When a possible phishing site is identified, AOL limits access to the site and informs any members who attempt to visit it that it is suspected of being a dangerous site. In addition to sites that are fraudulently attempting to spoof pages of the AOL service, America Online is also working to prevent access to fraudulent Web sites imitating other legitimate companies like banks, credit card issuers, online auctions, or online payment facilitators.

In addition to the effort announced today, AOL has a range of other tools and strategies to help protect members from phishing scams. Among those:

AOL® Official Mail: AOL created a different color, icon, look, and feel to identify legitimate official e-mail correspondence from the company. "AOL Official Mail" has a unique icon in the members' mailbox, a different color when opened, and special branding at the top to differentiate it from scams and phishing attempts. Find out more.

Spam/Phishing Blocking: As part of spam-fighting efforts, AOL uses a variety of methods to block unusual quantities or types of e-mail that pass through AOL's servers. As phishing is generally done via mass e-mail attacks, spam controls also block many phishing attempts. Find out more.

AOL® PassCode: The AOL PassCode device is offered as a premium service that allows members to add an additional level of security to their accounts in addition to their password. Find out more.

AOL® Money Alerts: AOL Money Alerts notify members of unusual account activity on their registered bank accounts or credit cards. Money Alerts can offer an early warning system of possible identity theft or phishers attempting to use an account. Find out more.

Phishing and Security Alerts: AOL has also created a special area of the service through AOL Keyword: Phishing to help inform members about useful tips and alert them to scams. Also, AOL recently launched new Security Alerts that regularly update members about new phishing attempts and other scams. Find out more.
Old
America Online is working with Cyota to evaluate potential phishing sites based on member feedback through its "Report Spam" button and through other sources.

Exactly what I mean. None of these isp's allow you to forward the email as an attachment so they never view the source. Which means you get blocked when you're innocent. A bit like being convicted without a trial (reminds me of George Galloway vs Senate) My isp is the same which is why I've arranged for my commercial webhoster to implement an ip block on certain companies renowned for distributing spam.
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustNo1
It's hard finding a real person to talk too at AT&T. They basically hijacked one of my domain names. I type in one of my domains and it goes to their page with the nonsense i posted above. Maybe someone can decipher, i'm seriously tech challenged, this is what the online chat guy told me:

"We apologize for all the inconvenience that is being caused. Non AT&T customers may be experiencing redirects of their urls to a worldnet page with a description of the ongoing phishing scam. So for the ongoing phishing scam our network engineers "blackholed" these hijacked urls to protect the security of att wn customers"

So what does that mean?

Damn, experienced the same fate man! Sometimes, the service ain't really that good...

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search