Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Thread: Country Music

Tools Search
Old October 16th, 2005, 04:46 PM
ABW Ambassador
Country Music

If you like country music here is our local award winning station.They are also drawing for trips and giving $$$ away. No pop-ups or spam here. Just select join on the top right corner.
http://www.country105.com/
Old October 16th, 2005, 08:28 PM
notary sojac
interesting, but I've just heard umpteen ads in a row. do they play music?
Old October 16th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
Amazingly, they do! And they even play some good oldies along with the modern stuff, instead of being totally new-crazy like so many stations are.
Old October 16th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Internet Cowboy
Please tell me more about this "Country Music" you speak of. Is it Rock-n-Roll from other countries? Is it Rock-n-Roll played in a rural setting?

Old October 16th, 2005, 10:16 PM
notary sojac
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleScooter
Please tell me more about this "Country Music" you speak of. Is it Rock-n-Roll from other countries? Is it Rock-n-Roll played in a rural setting?
American Country Music is about tough times and tough people. it is about sending roses, buying rings, riding around in big Cadillacs and chasing big blondes. it is about preaching, crying, laughing, and somebody running off with your woman. it is usually sad and could mention tears in your beer, "send me the pillow that you cry on," or even tears in your ears (from lying on one's side crying over another). lots of crying. some artists cry all the way to the bank.

Definitely not rock n roll, but there IS Country Rock which is all of the above done to a rock beat.

Last edited by Herb ԿԬ; October 16th, 2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old October 16th, 2005, 10:21 PM
notary sojac
oh, and everyone wears blue jeans and expensive boots, which they scrape at intervals.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old October 16th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Is it Rock-n-Roll from other countries? Is it Rock-n-Roll played in a rural setting?
(*&& it, REAL Country is NOT some kind of rock-n-roll, period!!! *Shudders*

But, musically speaking, I guess most of the new stuff could be called medium-rock with a twang. IMO that's not country at all, but that's what they put on most stations now. Which is why I like Classic Country from before the 80s...before the record companies decided to "rockify" (read: wreck) everything.

Go to Amazon and listen to some snippets of Waylon Jennings and others from that era (not his last CDs though), now that's REAL country For a non-classic-country radio station, Mailman's recommendation is pretty good. But--that new stuff is still not real country in my book. It's the fact that they threw in some oldies that got it my thumbs-up.

As for the lyrics (1/2 of what makes country, Country, is the lyrics!), some of the older Country is much more inventive--and humorous. There's too many "regular" love songs now. Old Country often had some kind of "twist..." you never knew just what they'd come out with. (There were "regular" ones before, too, but some would really throw a curve!)

And of course, the drinking songs were better. (Can't have country without some drinkin' songs!) NOT all dance music to play at bars, but boozy ballads with unexpected lyrics like:

Quote:
These old bones they move slow
but so sure of their footsteps
As I trip on the floor
And I lightly touch down...

It's been 10 bottles
Since I tried to forget her
But the mem'ry still lingers
Lying here on the ground
~If the Drinkin' Don't Kill Me (Country Ballad)
So unexpected, to hear something like that the first time! But the new stuff hardly ever (if ever) seems to have a twister anymore.

Or surprising-twist "love" songs...like this:

Quote:
(A whole verse of mournful-sounding stuff leading up to the girl leaving. Really sad and boozy so you expect a tearfest. Then, suddenly and exuberantly: )
Thank God and Greyhound she's gone
Thank God and Greyhound she's gone!
That big diesel motor is singin' my song,
Thank God and Greyhound she's gone!!!
(The rest goes on to say how bad she treated him and shares his joy at her exit!)
The new stuff hardly ever has anything good like that. Simply put, it's gotten dull. And they lost the Country Sound for the most part! That it sounds anything like Rock now is a travesty.

(Occasionally, old-country stations would play some of the more countrified Elvis, like "Suspicious Minds"--but that kind of "rock" sounds soooo different from any modern rock that it really ought to have its own designation anyway. Obviously-rock selections like "Blue Suede Shoes" wouldn't have gotten any country air...)
Old October 16th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Oh and it's NOT all about crying!
Even though the two that I posted some lyrics from include some.

One of my favorites is "Clyde." And "Up in Arkansas." Those Waylon tunes are basically about chillin'... (Gee I wonder why I like Waylon? He knew what the easy life was... sittin' on the porch, enjoying nature and life, with someone else paying the bills!)

I just checked my music player and a lot of my favorites aren't about love at all, let alone crying about it.

There's songs about:
Being a "country boy"
Traveling
Enjoying life
Getting older
Being a country musician
the rodeo
Drinkin' (BTW I don't drink at all except on holidays, and never get drunk. But I sure love hearing them sing about drinking--those are some of the most creative tunes!)

And any song which deals with love that's made it onto my playlist, has something unexpected in the lyrics.

Last edited by Leader; October 16th, 2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old October 16th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Internet Cowboy
Thanks Leader and Herb. I was mostly just kidding. I am a rock and roller from way back but I do know a lot of country music. And, yes Leader, I agree, the older country music is my favorite too. Asleep at the Wheel, Waylon, Willie the early George Strait stuff and more are my favorites.
I can't stand Hank Jr. but I can listen to his daddy all day long.
But I don't listen to country music when I have the radio on. My girlfriend does. If I am to go out dancing, it is to a country bar. If I ever play drums in a band again it will most likely be in a country band, but I have just never gotten in the habit of listening to or buying country music. My radio is either on talk or rock n roll.
Amazingly, when we are in the car and she puts on a country station, I know a lot of the words to the songs, I'd venture to say most of the songs pre mid 1980's I know. Maybe that is a product of growing up in a family of country music fans. Maybe it is the last part of my teenage rebellious years I am clinging on to.

Old October 16th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Quote:
I was mostly just kidding.
Good! I wondered if you really didn't know what country is, but... *shudder* there probably ARE some people out there young enough to actually think it's that "stuff" they're trying to pawn off as country nowadays!

Quote:
Amazingly, when we are in the car and she puts on a country station, I know a lot of the words to the songs, I'd venture to say most of the songs pre mid 1980's I know.
You're in an area where you can get REAL country in the CAR???
*Jealous!*

Nothing but crap's on the stations around here, now. Online, I can sometimes find an all-classic country station, but in the car that's no help...I end up listening to tapes.
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:45 AM
AM Navigator
Send a message via Skype™ to Geno Prussakov
Country music is great stuff! I country!

Geno
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:10 AM
[B]When I was a city boy, in Jersey City we didn't much country,but overseas in the 50's the AFN radio opened up every morning with HillyGasthaus, I loved the music.They had great music, and to my surprise, my wife from ireland loved it too.Hank Williams,Hank Snow,Chet Atkins,and Patsy Cline, and so many more, i can't remember them.My mom thought I was brainwashed, until she heard it.
Now, not so good, more like belly dancing,with sequence on them
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:43 AM
AM Navigator
There's this joke about country music... You know what will happen if you play a country song backwords?! You'll get your TV back, you'll get your dog back, you'll get your house back, and you'll get your wife back...
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:57 AM
One of my favorite jokes about country music is that country artists are limited to singing only about "the five 'ins": Drinkin', Truckin', Fightin', Cheatin', and Gamblin'.
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
One of my favorite jokes about country music is that country artists are limited to singing only about "the five 'ins": Drinkin', Truckin', Fightin', Cheatin', and Gamblin'.
Well, thar ain't anythin' else worth singin' about
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:24 AM
AM Navigator
Quote:
That's is definitely a Southern thing. South is a place where you're always fixin' to do something...

Geno
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:00 AM
ABW Ambassador
I take it by the posts that LEADER is a HUGE COUNTRY MUSIC FAN...!
Would I be correct in assuming that you like both kinds of Music? Country and Western..?
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddHandler
I take it by the posts that LEADER is a HUGE COUNTRY MUSIC FAN...!
Would I be correct in assuming that you like both kinds of Music? Country and Western..?
Yep!

There's some other kinds of music that I can enjoy *for a while,* but Country's always enjoyable...

Funny thing is, I'm not from the South and neither are my relatives.

But when I heard Country one night as a kid, I knew I'd finally found some music I could really enjoy...not just "appreciate" but *enjoy.*
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:21 AM
notary sojac
>>>Country and Western..?<<<

I haven't heard Western since the early or mid-fifties. You mean stuff like "Git-a-long little dogies?" Stuff from Roy and Dale Rogers, Gene Artery?

===============

Had a little culture shock a few years back. Traveled North (toward the "mountains") out of my own territory with a friend for dinner at a place where we'd never been. Food was OK and as we entered I noticed a band was advertised for later. The waitress told another couple about the band and that eating there earned the cover charge.

Since the time was getting near the hour for the band to start, we gravitated (ambled, not sashayed) to the dance hall portion of the building and sat and waited. This was an extension to the back of the building that we hadn't been aware of when we first arrived. No air conditioning but lots of screened windows. Slightly raised stage to one end of the room.

And what a band. They were from further North, from a village on the South edge of the Adirondacks and this area is known for real Country music. I don't think any of them were under 60 with the exception of the girl singer. The hawaiian guitar player was probably 75 with a hairpiece that was about 15 and the color of brown Shinola.

They didn't play anything written after Korea. I thought I was hearing Kitty Wells singing, the girl was THAT good!

Probably never happen to me again . . .
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:52 AM
Quote:

Don't forget Lovin' as in Conway Twitty's "Slow Hand".

ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW - None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe) - Politicians should be limited to 2 terms - One in office and one in prison. Give me a minute before I post again.
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:07 AM
AM Navigator
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
Don't forget Lovin' as in Conway Twitty's "Slow Hand".
Conway Twitty RULES!!!

Geno
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:14 AM
Quote:
I haven't heard Western since the early or mid-fifties. You mean stuff like "Git-a-long little dogies?" Stuff from Roy and Dale Rogers, Gene Autry(!)?
(Are you kidding me, too? Just in case you aren't...)

Naw--that's TOO old. Go for the mid 60s up to the late 70s, for the good stuff. The "golden years" of the 50s and early 60s...weren't too golden. IMO.

Last edited by Leader; October 23rd, 2005 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Groan...misspelled Autry...
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader
(Are you kidding me, too? Just in case you aren't...)

Naw--that's TOO old. Go for the mid 60s up to the late 70s, for the good stuff. The "golden years" of the 50s and early 60s...weren't too golden. IMO.
You don't like Lester Flats and Earl Scrubbs??????????

ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW - None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe) - Politicians should be limited to 2 terms - One in office and one in prison. Give me a minute before I post again.
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:20 AM
Prince of Content
shhhh don't tell anyone but I am a closet Muzik Mafia fan ~ I even have my neighbors making drinks that I named "Big and Rich" they bbq and have big and rich parties lol.
I often have one at my side while working on puter.
Captain Morgan
pepsi
lime
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:53 AM
notary sojac
Hey, I was a big Homer 'n Jethro fan.

But then, I'm crazy, anyway.

I do run into people who are into the old Cowboy songs. I walk away fast.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search