Welcome, guest! Login
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Easy backlinks? Create good content for people, not search engines.

Tools Search
Old
Beachy
Easy backlinks? Create good content for people, not search engines.

It's no secret that Joey and I are working in collaboration on a travel-oriented site for Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (to join the gazillion other sites competing for that area). But, just imagine, BEACHCOM and BEACHY collaborating on a BEACH site - how can we go wrong?

Today, Beachcom noticed in our stats that we had some inbound clicks from a new source. It turns out the "Official" South Carolina Tourism Site has our brand new site mentioned in an article that was published just last Friday. Cool, indeed!

So how did that work? We put together a little site about the new Myrtle Beach Boardwalk and made it easy for us to both be involved. We are using Thesis over WordPress as a method of delivery and are collaborating on content. I have a long-existing and successful beach site and have a pretty good "feel" for what beach travelers are looking. Joey lives in Myrtle Beach and has local knowledge. We seem to have made a good team. Evidently an editor at the "State" site thinks so.

Funny thing is - we haven't yet started working on backlinks because neither of us feel the site is comprehensive enough at this point to warrant them. It is still very small.

SEO? Yes, but only to the extent of using proper page design technique, which is taken care of (almost completely) automatically with the Thesis theme. Individual posts are focused on a topic, rather than "shotgunning" a raft of keywords onto a page. People like the focused approach; and also like good pictures so they can "see" what an author is writing about. I spent two days hanging out with Beachcom last week - on his turf. We both shot pix - my tally, alone, was 253 photographs - just of the boardwalk area.

So, will we be selling hotel reservations and "beach theme" checks on this site? Silly question...
Old
Affiliate Manager
Congrats for the raising stats Bill

Cheers!
Old
Prince of Content
Very nice Bill - let me know when you need a link, I may have some myrtle beach pages online.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Send a message via ICQ to Greg Rice Send a message via AIM to Greg Rice Send a message via MSN to Greg Rice Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Rice
That's awesome, and in record time too!

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza
Old
Tax Paying Member
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
collaboration
I like that word....................

I haven't been to MB in many years. May need to take a trip.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
I haven't been to MB in many years. May need to take a trip
Think Road Trip!!

Bill is a fantastic guy to work with, which many of you may already know. This is my first collaborative site effort and he makes it very easy. His knowledge of beach travelers is top-notch, I just live here and report back what I see. We were even able to glean a page of good original content from some things he noticed on his drive down here and back to home.
Old
Beachy
Thank you for the kind words, Joey. It is fun and rewarding when working with someone as enthusiastic as you. Funny thing is that 20 years ago I hated going to the beach. But things change and, yes, I am now a beach traveler (but still don't care to sit on the sand and bake in the sun).

@ Witzer. Yes, collaboration can be a good thing. I don't believe it can work with everybody but when things "click" it can be beneficial. It takes a certain amount of trust - and willingness to compromise - but can work.

In fact, after Summit, Jill and I would like to try a collaborative effort among five ABWers to work on similar and simultaneous projects to sell "military theme" checks. I realize there is/was a similar project started here last fall - but that is hidden from view. We would like to try working out in the open - so other people can see what we do right and wrong. I have already purchased the domains, which I will give to participants. I will also provide hosting for the early efforts. No special techniques or software (no Wordpress). Plain vanilla HTML, no datafeed and very limited use of banners. There is still a lot to work out, but that is the basic concept - collaboration.

@ Vinny. Thanks for the offer. Do those MB pages contain a lot or your photography? I have another site where I can give you a bit of link-juice also.
Old
Prince of Content
Sorry Bill my MB pages are content I had written for me back in the day.
Old
Congratulations Bill and Joey! That's a pretty nice link to get for a new site.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Congratulations Bill and Joey! That's a pretty nice link to get for a new site.
My thoughts exactly! Sounds like a win-win!

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search