Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Fraud Alert - ".tk" domains

Tools Search
Old
Affiliate Marketing Consultant
Send a message via ICQ to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via AIM to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via MSN to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Andy Rodriguez
Hello all,

TigerDirect has been hit with over 20 affiliate applications from domains ending in the ".tk" over the weekend. These domains are all copies of regular domains ending in ".com" I am on manual approve, therefore I was able to identify them. They are still coming in this morning.

They seemed suspicious all coming from a ".tk" TLD. Upon investigation, they are all copies of regular high traffic websites. It would seem they are trying to hijack the traffic and steal the SE placements of the real websites.

They all have NY payment addresses, all have yahoo accounts(another flag), all Chinese names(no offense). I have notified BeFree and two of the sites involved.

For those of you with high profile sites, keep a close eye out. They end in ".tk". If your site has been copied, it would end in "www.yoursite.tk". I have several from the UK and a few from US.

Just doing my part to look after my flock....

Have a great day !!
Old
ABW Adviser Panel
Wow.. this is a strange setup.. have a look at the DotTK website. Basically TK names are sort-of-free, have a look at the site though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The domains come from Tokelau which is a small group of islands in the middle of the Pacific which will probably vanish due to global warming when sea levels rise.

I guess TK registrants are people who don't have access to ANY type of net-negotiable money.
Old
It should be easy enough to get the hijackers booted:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

7. DISPUTES REGARDING DOMAIN NAMES PROVIDED THROUGH FREEDOMAIN.TK

7.1 Infringement on Intellectual Property or Other Rights of Third Parties. All domain names registered through FREEDOMAIN.TK are registered in our name. As the record owner of these domain names, we may be named in a lawsuit if a selected domain name infringes on the trademark or service mark of a third party, or otherwise causes harm to a third party. If a third party alleges trademark or service mark infringement or other harm in connection with the domain name which we have provided to you, we may, in our sole discretion, elect to (i) transfer the domain name to you and/or cease providing the Dot TK Service to you in connection with the domain name, (ii) transfer the domain name to the third party, (iii) disable the use of the domain name by removing it from our DNS servers, (iv) delete or cancel the registration of the domain name, (v) proceed to arbitration in accordance with the rules established by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), which rules you hereby consent to, (vi) proceed to litigation in federal, state or foreign court, or (vii) elect to pursue any other course of action reasonably designed to protect our interests.

7.2 No Obligation to Defend; Cooperation in Event of Transfer. By accepting this Agreement, you hereby acknowledge and agree that we are under no obligation to defend your rights to use or own the domain name provided to you in connection with FREEDOMAIN.TK in any actual or threatened lawsuit or arbitration brought by a third party against us. Furthermore, you agree to cooperate with us in whichever course of action we elect, in our discretion, to take. In the event that we elect to transfer the domain name to the third party, disable the use of the domain name or otherwise agree that such name will not be used for any purpose during the registration period, you agree to relinquish all right, title and/or interest in and to the domain name with or without prior notice from us. In this event, we agree to provide you with a new domain name so long as you have complied with each of the terms of this Agreement prior to such transfer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Well I just registered one and it was pretty easy, all they do is redirect to a webpage of your choice, so you should be able to find out where they are really heading.
Old
That's what I figured, so if your domain and pages are copied to .tk, it should be easy to get either the host to pull the site or this guy to pull the domain reg.

Andy, thanks for alerting us

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]
Old
Affiliate Marketing Consultant
Send a message via ICQ to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via AIM to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via MSN to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Andy Rodriguez
Yes but on the ones that are applying, they are loading up the original domain's files, sans images on some of them.

One sample: www.bendover.tk

the real one is www.bendover.com

This is just one of them...many others..
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
ABW Ambassador
<<Note that FREEDOMAIN.TK domain names are never legally licensed to the registrant. >>

Hmm ... register the .tk version of your domain for free, but not actually own it. Sounds like it might be a useful protective measure, but wouldn't that be a setup for holding it for ransom later on?

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search