Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Free Hosting?

Tools Search
Old
ABW Founder
Send a message via AIM to Haiko de Poel, Jr.
I own 2hostit.com ... have a resale deal with interland (old hostpro), tried host rocket (LOL), but, I don't want to do a hosting thing, nor offer affiliates stuff on it, just too many headaches! What if I offered Free subdomain hosting? (ie abestweb.2hostit.com)?

It would be offered as ...
logo (120X60)+468x60 banner+120X60 ad as either header or footer

... Whatcha think?

Haiko
Old
ABW Ambassador
No offence, but that sounds like quite a lot. Tripod/Lycos only pops up 1 banner, unless you close it and it pops up on every page you open (best to minimize it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ).

Would you be offering Frontpage extensions along with the FTP option?

Would you be offering CGI access?

What kind of space would you offer? 5MB/10MB/100MB/something in between?

Would you force the header/footer (and site) into frames? (as NBCI did with their free hosting).

Sorry for all the questions, but they had to be asked (not just for myself) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old
pph Expert!
Send a message via AIM to Gordon
I am not trying to knock your idea Haiko but in my humble opinion, and who am I? shh! don't tell me, most people would opt for somebody who only requires 1 banner or logo to be shown.

I would have thought being a reseller was the way to go.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
That's an awful lot of ads...no good for an affiliate site--too many leaks!

Cut that down, and don't force the site into frames, and there may be some possibilities--but there's an awful lot of free hosts already!

Reselling's probably the best bet. Plus, those free hosts get lots of CIA clicks (at least Angelfire draws the feds like gnats)! So if you don't want the gov't looking over your shoulder, that may not be the way to go...

As for what the gnats were looking at, seems they must think Gardening is subversive...
Old
pph Expert!
Send a message via AIM to Gordon
Well, you can make explosives from some fertilisers Leader, I guess they have to try to cover all bases to be on the safe side.
Old
ABW Veteran Student
What?????????? :confused:
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
Gordon--yeah, that's true!

I got quite a bit of activity on my "drying herbs" page when I put it up, too, lol! I wonder if they were disappointed to find the Herbs I meant were ones like basil, oregano, and dill...

As for the fertilizer, I don't even mention that kind. Even though That Kind is supposed to make a French marigold able to grow to 3 FEET high (French ones usually grow about 6 inches-1 foot tall)... I always cuss double when terrorists use it to make bombs because all the garden centers quit carrying it! Just when it'd be okay for them to carry it again, BOOOOOM...

Heyder--when I had tracking on over at AF it always showed a lot of government traffic, especially when I first put the site up. I figure a lot of the illegal sites must be on Free hosted sites, so the feds check 'em all out as a matter of course... That's okay, though--I think I picked up a couple of subscribers. As a matter of comparison, my paid site didn't get any CIA hits at all (although I did get one from the Dept. of Labor...), but Angelfire had hits from every agency under the sun! Probably still does, but that site doesn't have hit tracking on it anymore so I don't know for sure.
Old
ABW Founder
Send a message via AIM to Haiko de Poel, Jr.
Leader,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>That's an awful lot of ads...no good for an affiliate site--too many leaks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 ads and a logo? it's the same as freeservers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

How about a forced top frame that is 20 pixels high and would have:

Logo -> Random text ad -> propaganda -> Join now button

Reselling is just too much of a headace for me and there is just way to much competition, I'd rather sell the name, if you think that this set up wouldn't work either.

Three foot tall marigolds WOW! I'd hate to see the bee that propagates it :eek: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Haiko

PS. If any one is interested in it (2hostit.com) email me at Haiko@2hostit.com with an offer.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search