Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?

I have a police record?

Tools Search
Old
ABW Ambassador
Murray at Stanford emailed me to inform me:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hello...

It has come to my attention that you are under the police investigation. Is it true? Have you really commited such crimes?

Please read the following article located at: neutered://federalpolice.com:article872@xxxxxxxxxx

or at:

neutered://0xxx.0xx.0xxx.0xxx

Sincerely,
Your old friend<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>(IPs removed and http: neutered to prevent any possible damage from links)

Google is of no help as to what this is. I'm not going to click, can anyone shed some light as to what kind of scam this is?

-----------------------------
It's better to write something crappy that you can improve upon later than it is to write nothing. - Comedian Mike Myers
Old
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> neutered://federalpolice.com:article872@xxxxxxxxxx
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's some trick with that @ sign being in a URL. I think it works that the REAL URL is after the @ sign. But I'm not absolutely certain how that goes...

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply
Old
Its a crock of doodoo. SCAM

DELETE

DELETE

SandraR
<font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
ABW Ambassador
weisinator:

you always seemed kind of shady to me

seriously, leader & sandra are right

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
---------
Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more
Old
ABW Ambassador
While you've given us precious little to prove that you didn't commit these "crimes," this is an attempt to set a "trojan" on your computer.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...779874341.html

Wayne
Old
I like traffic lights
Just another scammer taking advantage of holes in Microsoft products.

See also:

http://www.tjhsst.edu/~agupta/ecard-hijack/

http://www.securitytracker.com/alert...b/1009067.html

http://www.k-otik.com/exploits/02.04.MS04-004.php

for the others to appear recently.

I'm still waiting for the US Department of Homeland Security to ban the use of Windows, as it is a huge threat to national security.

I guess there's too many Microsoft stock holders in positions of power.

George Orwell got the date wrong
Old
ABW Ambassador
A) I hardly think Windows is the "huge threat" to security as you claim.

B) I don't believe alternative operating systems are immune from attack from hackers. The greatest damage/thrill is done when hitting the largest, most visible targets. This is why Al Qaeda attacked the World Trade Center and not some little grain silo in Iowa.

Wayne
Old
ABW Ambassador
federalpolice.com???

I'll bet Sgt. Joe Friday is at the front desk, too!

Andy

Old
ABW Ambassador
I've got a Police CD, does that count?
Old
NorthernStudio is correct - other operating systems are vunerable to virus', trojans, etc, but the people who write these virus' are mostly looking for publicity (even if it is anonymous) - so why write a virus for an operating system used by 1% or 3% of people when you can write one that targets 95% of desktops - Mac OS, Unix, and Linux are all vunerable.

http://www.diyautoparts.com
Old
I like traffic lights
>NorthernStudio is correct

No he's not.

>other operating systems are vunerable to
>virus', trojans, etc,

Really? If that was the case, then surely the IE-based BHO trojans would also work with IE/Mac? And the "pretend I'm another site by hiding half my URL on the address bar" would also scam IE/Mac users as well as IE/Windows users?

>but the people who write these virus' are mostly looking for publicity (even if it is anonymous)

Once apon a time, yes. But not anymore. The chief use of a virus these days is to set a machine up so that it is remotely controllable - unbeknownst to the user - either for a future Dos attack, or as a spam proxy.

> - so why write a virus for an operating system used by 1%
>or 3% of people when you can write one that targets 95% of
>desktops - Mac OS, Unix, and Linux are all vunerable.

Mac OS and Linux are FAR LESS vunerable, due to their better security model. You CANNOT install a program in OSX or Linux that can take control of the system without typing in the administrator's password. The security model on both those platforms is based on user privileges.

If Windows comprised 5% of the computers on the Internet and Linux/OSX had 95%, there wouldn't by more virus attacks on Linux/OSX, because they're INHERENTLY MORE SECURE.

A BHO "drive by" install just needs to convince a windows user that it is safe (by faking soemthing in the "do you want to install this BHO" window that pops up) and then by default, Windows gives that browser helper object full access to the hard disk, so it can install, delete and replace files owned by other processes and make any changes it wants to the Windows Registry. THIS IS COMPLETELY INSECURE. This is why we have so many problems with parasites.

The Windows security model is based on "security by obscurity". Very few people get to see the source code, so holes must be found using luck and thus Microsoft need not spend a lot of time improving it's code. Unfortunately there are so many holes that a competent programmer need only a little bit of luck to find a hole. Now, with a big chunk of Windows code out there in the public domain, the cracks are being found VERY quickly. and thanks to Microsoft's lapse attention to security (just making up a few marketing terms like "trustworthy computing" changes NOTHING) there is going to be some really nasty days coming up both for Windows users and for the general Internet population.

Your "Windows has more viruses because it's the most popular" is an easily disproven MYTH. Get over it, and stop spreading such rubbish.

Old
ABW Ambassador
I'm sure you believe much of what you say about the Mac invincibility. I don't and apparently neither does Apple. A brief scan of their long list of Security updates shows fixes for many security problems. Here's just a few random ones:

"The QuickTime Streaming Server web-based admin agent in Mac OS X Server 10.1 to 10.1.5 contains a potential vulnerability that could allow remote users to execute arbitrary code."

"The Security Update (10.1.5 - Security Update 2003-03-03) addresses a security issue in sendmail where a remote individual could gain access and control of the system. Although sendmail is off by default in Mac OS, it is recommended that all users install this Security Update."

"System Configuration: Fixes CAN-2004-0087 and CAN-2004-0088 where the SystemConfiguration subsystem allowed remote non-admin users to change network setting and make configuration changes to configd."

I agree that Windows is riddled with security issues. The idea that a Mac is invincible is, well to use your word, rubbish. Good luck getting the goverment to outlaw windows.

Wayne
Old
I like traffic lights
I guess you missed the "Mac OS and Linux are FAR LESS vunerable" in my post, then?

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search