Welcome, guest! Login Join
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?

Intoductory Post in Wordpress Datafeed Site?

Tools Search
Old
Intoductory Post in Wordpress Datafeed Site?

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting started and had a question for the board.

I've recently set up my first datafeed driven Wordpress site and was wondering if I should put a relevant content laden introductory post at the top of the homepage instead of having only the product posts shown.

I've created several other pages with lots of quality content to help with Google, but on the homepage do you think I should risk pushing the first product post down the page in order to add in some keyword friendly content?

Thanks for any advice

- Steve
Old
ABW Ambassador
Sure... include an introductory post...

Here is an idea for ya...

Find some products that are popular that you offer on your site..
Then in that first introductory post include links to those products on your site..

Kill two birds with one stone.. and it helps with the SEO as well.....

But don't just stuff it with keywords...
Old
Thanks again adhandler, I'll try that.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador
Send a message via MSN to lostdeviant
Hi , I am curious what software you used to integrate a data feed with Wordpress.
Old
I'm curious too as to what software you use for wordpress.
Old
I'm also curious, I was looking into it recently. Like to share which software you have used, if its not your secret?
Old
Re: Question from Lostdeviant

lostdeviant,

I noticed that you sent me a private message recently, but I still do not have privileges to accept them.

I'm assuming you're looking for an answer to your question. Sorry I didn't answer it back when you asked it, I'm a very infrequent visitor to this forum. Too busy making websites that don't make any sales , guess I need to stop by here more often.

Here's the link to that Wordpress Datafeed Import program:
http://www.wordpressdatafeedimport.com/

- Steve
Old
yes, sorry, after I realized that I posted here.

I found this program earlier in a search but I wasn't sure if it was good.
I emailed the author and found out that this only works up to Wordpress 2.2.x so updated blogs (2.3) won't work with this yet.

Do you feel that this script is worth the cost? Have you made sales through the posts it makes?

thank you
Old
Well, not really. I only used it once; as I learned more on this forum I concluded that data feed sites were not a good idea for me.

I feel like I would have to be one of those guys cranking out 10,000 product sites every day to compete without having any original content to offer. Plus, even on that one site, I still had to go in and manually edit each product description so that Google would not flag it as duplicate content and bury it.

I've decided to make fewer sites and focus those site on a small number of products. That strategy hasn't worked too well as of yet though.
Old
Thanks for letting us know about your experience
Old
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
I've seen sites that look like they were made with that. Not in the engines...but as affiliates of GoodBulbs. They look okay from a design standpoint, but there's something uniquely flat about knowing my products will be Posts #10000-10025 in an uncategorized splog.

That said, one did manage to make a sale, but it could have been to the guy's friend.

I would NOT spend $137 on this. If someone comes up with a FREE (or at least much, much cheaper than $137) WP import plug-in, though, I'm sure I'd give the concept a shot.

Why would I give it a shot when I see lots of these things making 0 sales? Because I also see them apparently NOT promoting their sites, or giving up on promotion before it has a chance to work. I see lots of site types make 0 sales, and often, it's because of lack of promotion.

But $137? Back when nobody else was running feed sites, sure! But not now. There're already quite a few feed-blogs out there, and it's not like Goofle isn't aware of the concept.

style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
I've decided to make fewer sites and focus those site on a small number of products. That strategy hasn't worked too well as of yet though.
I'm finding that ALL strategies need lots of persistent promotion and links in, or they won't rank. And whether they'll *work* (convert well) is actually a whole other matter than whether they'll rank.
Old
Believe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader
I would NOT spend $137 on this. If someone comes up with a FREE (or at least much, much cheaper than $137) WP import plug-in, though, I'm sure I'd give the concept a shot..
I looked at this a few months back. It appears it primarily imports the datafeed into the wp table. Maybe I'm missing something, because I not very experienced with wp, but could a simple import script be written to do the same thing?
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight01
I looked at this a few months back. It appears it primarily imports the datafeed into the wp table. Maybe I'm missing something, because I not very experienced with wp, but could a simple import script be written to do the same thing?
Yes that is basically the idea but Wordpress 2.3 and later changed the way categories work so you'd need a different version for the pre-2.3 than the 2.3+

Plus you'd need a way to set a date for each post to appear otherwise every entry will have the same date.
Wordpress lets a blogger set a publish date so I could for example write 7 articles on monday and set each one to appear on a different day. The expensive plugin must use that feature.

I'd really love a script that would take a shareasale datafeed and send out posts say one or two per day according to a keyword or datafeed catagory... or even by product. I would pay for it too, but only if it will work with the updated version of wordpress which is 2.3. I'd happily beta test if anyone is willing to make it.
The best thing would be is if the script has an admin page in wordpress and let you match up categories for each datafeed as it is added. That way you wouldn't have to reformat the feed.
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight01
What Lost said as to the specs. I'm not into coding, or I would have written one quite a while ago.

I'm usually willing to pay (still not $137 for the reasons I already mentioned), but there's so many people who write free WP plugins that I have my hopes up
Old
Thanks for the feedback.

Leader,

For "links in" do you recommend buying links? If so, where is a good place to purchase links? I'd like to have a bunch of sites that people want to link to organically, but that's just not the case. The sites are useful, but it'd be ridiculous to claim there aren't 50 similar sites to each of them on the web somewhere.

"Sure, I'd love to place a link on my site to your male enhancement product comparison site!" Not gonna happen.
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm21st
For "links in" do you recommend buying links?
Capitalism is King!
Quote:
If so, where is a good place to purchase links? I'd like to have a bunch of sites that people want to link to organically, but that's just not the case. The sites are useful, but it'd be ridiculous to claim there aren't 50 similar sites to each of them on the web somewhere.

"Sure, I'd love to place a link on my site to your male enhancement product comparison site!" Not gonna happen.
I'm not so sure about getting links to a "male enhancement product comparison site" even with pay. That'd probably be classed as adult links, making the pool of the willing small, the terms you can get not so good, and the prices large.

There are a few caveats to buying links (to regular sites, not R or X rated), too, mainly that it takes a LOT of persistence, and more money to get results than most affiliates seem to want to spend.
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader
Capitalism is King!

I'm not so sure about getting links to a "male enhancement product comparison site" even with pay. That'd probably be classed as adult links, making the pool of the willing small, the terms you can get not so good, and the prices large.

There are a few caveats to buying links (to regular sites, not R or X rated), too, mainly that it takes a LOT of persistence, and more money to get results than most affiliates seem to want to spend.
Leader,

The site I mentioned is one of many; regardless there's nothing R-rated about it. I basically compare price, shipping costs, return policy, customer feedback, ingredients list, etc. side by side - pretty standard stuff. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search