Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Thread: Morph File

Tools Search
Old May 21st, 2002, 12:13 PM
ABW Ambassador
Is there a single file in morphware that would stop the commission stealing. The BHO file...what happens if a user still deletes that file...is the software still operable minus the commission stealing?
Old May 21st, 2002, 12:25 PM
Correct. That is what Morphbuster does. Thing is, it also removes the Morpheus user from the Buyersport Shopping Club.
Old May 21st, 2002, 12:29 PM
ABW Ambassador
That's what I needed to know....just wanted the software to still work, but stop stealing commissions....You probably already know what I have in mind [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old May 21st, 2002, 12:32 PM
Next time it is run, Morpheus goes and puts the bho back that was deleted by MorphBuster. It also reinstates the user's shopping club membership.

-BluesX
Old May 21st, 2002, 12:35 PM
ABW Ambassador
Shoot....so much for that...my thought was just having people using morph to delete that file.
Old May 21st, 2002, 12:56 PM
ABW Ambassador
I've had an idea from a different direction -- would it be possible for a cookie to be designed so it could not be overwritten for a few days?

The present practice that the last affiliate to set a cookie gets the commission was based on the assumption that he/she made an active contribution to the sales process. With parasiteware, that is clearly not the case. I don't mind (much!) the thought of having a cookie overwritten by another affiliate who actively promoted the merchant, because I'll benefit from that on occasion, too. But having our cookies speedily overwritten by parasites is a different matter entirely.

Is there a way that cookies could be "overwrite-proof" for a reasonable period, in and of themselves, without the need for all sorts of other software interventions? If there was, merchants and networks should consider doing that.

I'm not enough of a techie to know this stuff.
Old May 21st, 2002, 01:19 PM
I don't think it's possible to write an "over-write-proof" cookie. The purpose of a cookie is to read/write information to the user's machine.

When a visitor clicks on your link, your ID is first written, your PID or Linkshare/Befree ID first appears in the address bar, then there is like a reload (like a META refresh) when your ID is replaced with theirs.

If there was a way to just bypass that redirect/refresh from the outset, the cookie would remain intact.

It's hard to explain unless you've seen it in action.
Old May 21st, 2002, 01:33 PM
2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner 
The cookie swap problem takes place at the Theftwarez re-direct server. The dumb merchants also don't know that their one day cookie gets rewritten to 365 days and the affiliate ID# is swapped and the users gets sent on their way. No way we can protect our sites affiliate cookies and I'm sure Morpheus won't openly devulge their redirect servers IP addresses for anyone to defeat their thievery.

Only way is to somehow entice parasite infected users to rid their systems of adwarez viruses like the program Ad-Aware does. Pissed endusers have in mass installed Adblockers and cookie cutter programs but those defeat our legit cookies and network merchant Ads. So we get hit twice by both the parasites and the endusers with Adblockers/cookie cutters...making them blind to our links. Morpheus thinktank knew this so they enabled redirect servers which monitize links from SE's and browser address bar links -e-mails and bookmarks.
Old May 21st, 2002, 01:36 PM
ABW Founder
Send a message via AIM to Haiko de Poel, Jr.
Mike,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The cookie swap problem takes place at the Theftwarez re-direct server<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it is all done on the Client side, that is the crux of the problem ... they take over the end user's machines!

---------

BluesX,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Morpheus goes and puts the bho back that was deleted by MorphBuster<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once it is off it is off, they have to reinstall to get it back.

Haiko
[added post to BluesX]

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]
Old May 21st, 2002, 01:47 PM
It isn't only us affiliates who get shafted by these Duperaffiliates. Squeeky clean merchants like TigerDirect have every one of it's competitors showing up at their site from visitors using Gator -ShopNow -eBates -Morpheus who can recognize keywords and overlay their pages with competitor Ads and make them look like their part of TD's site. Are they harmless just because they don't swap affiliate ID's?? Hell no, they are devised and supported with special autoload software by CJ- BeFree -Linkshare for a alacart fee to put TigerDirect at a disavantage even if the shopper types TD's URL in their browser. These Interlopers are designed and sold as "superaffiliate" tools to screw over any merchant who isn't willing to pay their join fee ( often $10,000) or get listed on their Interloper network. Why do you think Overstock is still active on BeFree ???..they paid these Interloper fees and want to let those programs run to completeion like we do when closing accounts at Overture.

Why do you think those "super affiliates" making thousands a month hide from site on these forums? They lurk here and at sites like Cashpile or ReveNews but only to make sure their names aren't in the spotlight. We need a ABW list of all domains and programs thta are remotely hooked to spyware -theftware- parasiteware -scumware and spamming frontends. We owe thta to our visitors to make sure we aren't supporting them with a link. Let them come out of hiding and defend their programs or actions. If not then you can see them all in person or disguise at the next Affiliateforce 2003 Cruise. Hopefully many, other than Andy, will be too busy in court to attend the next one.

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]
Old May 21st, 2002, 01:57 PM
Affiliate Marketing Consultant
Send a message via ICQ to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via AIM to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via MSN to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Andy Rodriguez
Mike, et all,

If you have screen shots of the above, ie. parasite wares poping in front of our site, i would appreciate you or anyone sendinf me a copy. I am assembling a file/case and we would need as much evidence as possible.

We have a few techies types in house as well [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

We don't like our traffic being hijacked either by the parasites any more than you do.

That was one reason I pulled our ebates deal, we are now only listed on their site but we don't "reward" any of their shoppers.

Send me anything you have, we will work on it from our end as well. We have resources as well we can put into action.
Old May 21st, 2002, 04:16 PM
Andy that's why I asked the ABW forum to post a list of the Interloper programs that clean merchants like yourself can check to make sure your not feeding them business. Any affiliate program that has a BHO can signup a competitor to TigerDirect and show their offers on your site at the point of sale. PM Haiko and ask him to start up a ABW forum topic for this vital merchant service.

A sneak view of some with description are shown at: http://and.doxdesk.com/parasite/
:mad:
Old May 21st, 2002, 04:30 PM
ABW Ambassador
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>BluesX,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morpheus goes and puts the bho back that was deleted by MorphBuster
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once it is off it is off, they have to reinstall to get it back.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So there is hope, afterall [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Andy,
I don't have a screenshot of the Tiger Page, but you will be p*ssed when you see it. I recall the text on my front page that referred to 'web host' and other keywords were links to another host.
Old May 21st, 2002, 04:33 PM
ABW Founder
Tom,

I'm working on a Framed quick scan via activeX and when done ... it will return the user to your site when it's done! ... This is the best alternative! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Haiko
Old May 21st, 2002, 04:37 PM
ABW Ambassador
Good deal...and Haiko, did you ever get my second PM. Couple of questions regarding a previous conversation [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Tom Pyles
Old May 21st, 2002, 04:40 PM
>Once it is off it is off, they have to reinstall to get it back.

A simple integrity check via Morph exec, which is still there, will notice that bho is gone and will download-auto-install it.

If you remove the morph exec, the user will go back and re-install it, because you can not terminate the will for free music.

I guess, if it is gone, it will be back.

-BluesX
Old May 21st, 2002, 04:54 PM
ABW Founder
BluesX,

I have the program and ran Morphbuster to remove the mbho.dll and the .de files, when I opened Morpheus or buyersport there was no reinstall along with no indication of those files on my 'puter after I went either.

HTH,

Haiko
PS. Parasiteware.com will be the framed redirect page I spoke of earlier ... content tbd.

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Haiko ]
Old May 21st, 2002, 04:57 PM
ABW Founder
Re content ... maybe we will have your link in included in a slide show of TigerDirect offers while it scans ParasiteWare would get a 2% override to help pay for the programming and upkeep of the DB.

Haiko

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search