Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Nominations - How Can We Do It?

Tools Search
Old
ABW Ambassador
Well, since the last nominations topic got closed in the middle of my response, I'm starting here. Probably will get closed, too, but here goes...

Maybe I missed it here somewhere, but was it said that other posting would be the official vote? Some have suggested a vote elsewhere and that was not answered. I, for one, am very confused as to how an official vote should be submitted. Let's not criticize people for not voting when it has not been made clear.

I bet you the winners will be by a small margin. This group is so divided there is no way anyone, except maybe Buckworks, will get any high numbers. And if we are this split on just who to send, how can we ever come up the the paper or papers that needs to be submitted.

Somewhere along the way we lost the team approach here. Okay, we are playing teams, but unfortunately we are all teams playing against each other. I can't see how anything productive is going to come of this at this rate. We need someone here that members can trust to get the ball rolling, get the vote done and get the papers written. The question is, is that possible?

Ron
7 Days A Week Marketing
"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"
Old
I propose this. It's obvious that most agree on Elisabeth. Great. She's in. As for a second representative why not allow someone from another Aff Marketing Board attend in that spot to represent a larger group of affiliates. Shawn Collins comes to mind as that likely candidate.

Dr. Evil
Old
ABW Founder
Send a message via AIM to Haiko de Poel, Jr.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>represent a larger group of affiliates. Shawn Collins comes to mind as that likely candidate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Their board is considerably less in number and rediculously lower in affiliate members.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
</font></p>
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
So the members of other boards don't have a say in how our positions are presented and our commissions protected?

Dr. Evil
Old
ABW Ambassador
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>represent a larger group of affiliates. Shawn Collins comes to mind as that likely candidate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Their board is considerably less in number and rediculously lower in affiliate members.

&lt;font size="2" face="Verdana"&gt;Haiko_

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli_&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/p&gt;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but they seem to be getting along over there pretty well and not having the problems that ABW is having. He's got my vote for that (among other things).

I would like to see a listing, based on previous posts of just names. Someone just list names of all the people that have been nominated and we start casting our votes. Give everyone 24 hours and then we all do the counting. I also suggest someone like Heyder moderate it to keep out anything but the voting.

Now, before someone jumps the gun and starts doing just that, can we here some serious comments about this proposal? Yes or no and did I miss anything that should be included in how we should do this.

Ron
7 Days A Week Marketing
Old
Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek
I am, at least, familiar with most of the people here, and how experienced they seem to be. Unfortunately, I don't know squat about the other boards, and I don't want this opportunity squandered!

We need someone right away to represent us, but if this gets opened up to every board out there that has affiliates on it, there's no way it can be discussed in depth, with a delegate chosen in time.

I think that we need to go with two of the current candidates, put it to a vote here. Maybe not the best solution in the world, but the only one that comes up with a solution in the needed time frame.

If there are secondary meetings, or what have you, maybe we will have the time to iron out any kinks in representation.

Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of War are laughing.
Old
Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek
I have one last question. How do we prevent parasites from skewing the vote?

Do we have any restrictions on who can vote? I mean, I don't want 20 guys with 1 or 2 posts just showing up and all voting for 1 person and fixing the vote.

Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of War are laughing.
Old
ABW Ambassador
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have one last question. How do we prevent parasites from skewing the vote?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a very good point!

Andy

Maybe we can get one of the election officials down in Florida to supervise the votes...LOL!

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.
Old
Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
Send a message via AIM to Kellie aka Ms. B Send a message via MSN to Kellie aka Ms. B Send a message via Yahoo to Kellie aka Ms. B
An all these different aliases from voting. We could wind up with more votes than actual members.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies
Old
ABW Founder
Send a message via AIM to Haiko de Poel, Jr.
It will be a moderated (by Heyder) public vote.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
</font></p>
Old
Affiliate Summit Guy
Send a message via AIM to Shawn Collins Send a message via Yahoo to Shawn Collins Send a message via Skype™ to Shawn Collins
For the benefit of anybody that is not familiar with me, and might have the impression that my experience in affiliate marketing starts and ends with being a moderator at iAfma.org, here is a brief summary:

Started my first affiliate site as an affiliate of Amazon; began working at Medsite.com, and launched their affiliate program

Joined a number of the affiliate programs that existed at the time, and began creating niche sites and driving targeted traffic

Left Medsite.com to join Refer-it.com. the first affiliate program directory; founded BabyLounge, Inc. and began to focus on parenting related affiliate programs; started writing columns for ClickZ on affiliate marketing

Left Refer-it.com to launch the ClubMom affiliate program, where I worked to redefine the way an affiliate program was run based on my frustrations as an affiliate; continued performing as an affiliate for a dozen or so programs; wrote for ClickZ; started up the NYAMC (New York Affiliate Manager Coalition) to help other affiliate managers learn best practices; was approached by Que Publishing to write a book based on my successes as an affiliate manager

Successful Affiliate Marketing for Merchants published and became best selling book on affiliate marketing to date; co-founded Affiliate Metrix, Inc. and published a statistical report on affiliate marketing; wrote columns for SAM Magazine and ClickZ; changed the NYAMC to the USAMC (United States Affiliate Manager Coalition) due to interest from affiliate managers all over

Still churning along as the affiliate manager at ClubMom; evolved the USAMC to become the U.S. chapter of iAfma.org, the International Affiliate Marketing Association, where we are working on a number of efforts to combat predatory advertising, including the creation of a manifesto (coming very soon) to establish a certification for affiliate programs that follow best practices, which will, of course, include stances against predatory advertising

Click here for a list of affiliate marketing events where I've been invited to speak over the past three years.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Shawn Collins
Director of Affiliate Marketing
ClubMom, Inc.
http://clubmomaffiliates.com/
http://iAfma.org/
http://affiliatemanager.net/
Old
ABW Ambassador
Wow, I'm impressed. You guys have stayed on track and on topic.

Keep it coming!

Ron
7 Days A Week Marketing
Old
ABW Ambassador
Econ Mike Said;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Well I'm certainly not changing my suggestions for 3 affilate representatives. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also still agree that 3 reps should be voted for and sent and to me that should be the first vote.
Old
ABW Ambassador
I take back all my suggestions over the last few hours. Obviously you all have lost it and have no idea how to make this work. I was especailly wrong about making Heyder the moderator for the nominations vote. His comments in another post show his true nature.

Good luck to you all. You'll need it.

Ron
7 Days A Week Marketing
Old
ABW Veteran Student
Edited by heyder (aka scissor boy)

Ron I appologize for what I said.
Old
I'm a great believer in democracy, and an even greater believer in minority rights. But I do say this without hesitation: Who said this should turn into a lengthy election process (with all the BS that comes from that), and end with a formal vote in the first place? It seems to me that:

1. If the networks had wanted the affiliate representatives to be chosen in an election, they would have set up a place of discussion and a voting booth of their own.

Instead the networks has invited ABW to send two representatives.

Since the networks have said two persons from ABW can attend, it appears to me that the ABW administrator is, by position, expected to be one of the persons attending. That person is Haiko.

Haiko is the one who started this board, and has lead the fight from day one. ABW is formally run by Haiko today. The board itself has old members, new members, some who post a lot, and some who never post - and of course they disagree on issues. That's way this is a place of discussions.

The networks would likely be laughing if the administrator - the father of ABW - is not attending the first meeting.

And another thought: Who would represent ABW at the following meetings? Yes, it should be the same persons who represent ABW at the first meeting. But ABW is not a formal organization with protocols and statutes. Are only those who happens to surf by the board these days eligible to select representatives, - for the entire process? And are those currently on the ballot committed to continue the fight in the years to come, no matter the time and out of pocket cost involved?

It clearly seems to me that Haiko should attend - if he wants to. It might not be very "democratic", but this is not a question of having someone seated for public office. If we are not satisfied with the outcome, we simply join together somewhere else. That's the beauty of the net.

Which brings me to my second point:

2. Those who attend representing ABW must speak with one voice.

Or do we want them fighting between themselves at the meeting? Clearly not.

Some of the members obviously has a problem with Haiko attending. To them I say this: Unite, go to the networks, present your member base and ask to be allowed to send a representative of your own.

Which brings me to my third point:

3. Noone has spoken about vice-representatives. What if someone becomes ill and cannot attend? Who should replace who? How many vice-representatives should we have?

Just something for you to think about [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-- Less is more --

[This message was edited by Cellophane on October 14, 2002 at 09:33 PM.]
Old
Millionaire on training wheels
Send a message via MSN to Justdoit
I have stayed out of things and watched intently over the last week.
The only thing that comes to mind is affiliates are getting ripped off by the parasites and instead of focusing on that issue people seem to be calling each other names and dragging everyone down. This saddens me, as I thought we were in this fight together as affiliates trying to get to the bottom of all the issues.
Haiko, I admire you for starting this board and giving us a place to gather and voice our opinions, while learning from each other.
However, it bothers me that you choose to bring private things out in the open for all others to see. Can't these things be kept in private, all it does is bring everyone down.
I realize a board this size may have issues but having the dirty laundry and name calling aired out in public really bothers me as it seems we are all losing track of the real goal.
How can we who are divided now come together and TRUST in each other to work together at the network meeting.
I know who I would like to vote for, however with dissension amongst a lot of people I don't even know what to think anymore.
It seems damned if you do and damned if you don't.
It never used to be that way here, and I miss the way it used to be.

Of all the things I've ever lost ... I miss my mind the most!
Old
ABW Ambassador
Folks,

Allow me to interject a few things since this community seems to be coming to an impasse with delegate selection.

1) The reps do not have to be from AbestWeb. I asked this community (I asked- not the networks) to choose a couple of representatives to summarize and represent the broad themes presented in the opinion papers.

2) Whoever you choose needs to have several qualities. They should be good speakers, professional and organized. They need to have credentials to back them up. You need to send people who are good, solid affiliate marketers.

3) When choosing your reps do not post obscure nicknames. People need to know who these people are and where they come from and what their background is composed of.

Who I would not send:

1) Anyone who does not have a solid history as a productive affiliate or manager. The representative needs to be someone who is active in making and generating revenue through performance channels or mangaging programs that generate significant revenue. They need to be intimately familiar with all the details.

2) Anyone who has not exhibited professional behavior at all times in the public forums. If their credability is questionable, then their presentation will be seen in that light.

3) Anyone who cannot remain absolutely level-headed at all times. (Because if anyone's conduct gets umprofessional I *will* ask them to leave.)

This is my .02. Ultimately the community needs to make a decision, and they need to do it quickly.

regards,
Wayne

Wayne Porter
V.P. Product Development
AffTrack LLC.
http://www.afftrack.com
http://www.revtrends.com
Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.
Old
Millionaire on training wheels
Send a message via MSN to Justdoit
Well said Wayne.

Of all the things I've ever lost ... I miss my mind the most!
Old
ABW Veteran Student
Wayne once again you are silencing the real affiliate community.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2) Whoever you choose needs to have several qualities. They should be good speakers, professional and organized. They need to have credentials to back them up. You need to send people who are good, solid affiliate marketers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

90% of affiliates make less than 100 dollars a month Their money is still being stolen!

Most of us work from our homes and do not represent coporate america. We are affiliate marketers not wall street gurus. Hell man go do a farmers convention and tell them they have to do it your way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Who I would not send:

1) Anyone who does not have a solid history as a productive affiliate or managerAnd what does that mean exactly, Income or what?. The representative needs to be someone who is active in making and generating revenue through performance channels or mangaging programs that generate significant revenue. They need to be intimately familiar with all the details.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So no credability if their own income isn't significant That is BS Wayne we are not all significant marketers some of us make very little.

It makes no difference how much money the rep that we send makes. That person is our rep just like we vote for national leaders.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Okay, I'm lost Heyder. Why are you shaking your head at that post? It is one of the most succinct I have seen during this entire debate.

What criteria would you propose?

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi
Old
Crazy Cat Lady
Send a message via AIM to Heidi Send a message via MSN to Heidi Send a message via Yahoo to Heidi
Wayne you said it perfectly right here:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2) Anyone who has not exhibited professional behavior at all times in the public forums. If their credability is questionable, then their presentation will be seen in that light.

3) Anyone who cannot remain absolutely level-headed at all times. (Because if anyone's conduct gets umprofessional I *will* ask them to leave.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This should reduce the list considerably as to who should be sent.

Heidi
Fit2a-t: The Center of the T-shirt Universe!
Old
pph Expert!
Send a message via AIM to Gordon
Wayne

Am I correct in thinking representitves from Wurld will be there? If so could you take a look at what you wrote and tell me how this is possible in view of the intimidation tacticts that some people (no names to cover myself) have been up to? I would be most interested in your reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 2) Anyone who has not exhibited professional behavior at all times in the public forums. If their credability is questionable, then their presentation will be seen in that light <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Travel safe
Gordon
YouTrek
Old
ABW Ambassador
Gordon,

You are incorrect.

regards,
Wayne
Old
pph Expert!
Send a message via AIM to Gordon
Oh Sorry about that, my mistake thank you for the prompt reply.

Travel safe
Gordon
YouTrek

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search