Welcome, guest! Login Join
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
View Poll Results: Poll: Do we need heavier moderation?
Yes, we should improve moderation 9 37.50%
Yes, it's the only way to stop the recent bashing 2 8.33%
No, we don't need to change anything 9 37.50%
No, the recent bashing wasn't uncalled for, or at least not on my part 4 16.67%
I don't have an opinion 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do we need heavier moderation?

Tools Search
Old
Lately there has been some name-calling and bashing on this board. There has been some threats, acts of revenge, and severe accusations, - instances such as:

example, like: "You're going to pay for what you've done to me"
example, like: "I have spammed the search engines with your urls"

Another example: A member changed her avatar to an image with the text "Haiko rigs votes", and then changed it once more to an edited picture of the administrator with the mustache of a famous dictator.

What do you think? Do we need heavier moderation? Or do you believe everything will get back to normal without the presence of moderators?

[This message was edited by Cellophane on October 19, 2002 at 06:33 PM.]
Old
We dont need heavier moderating! What is the problem here? Everyone is so edit and delete and ban happy here.

I've been to a lot of forum boards and I've got to say, this one really takes the cake. I've never seen anything like it.

Really speaks for the quality of people that come here (or lack of)

I believe if the "moderators" weren't so busy trying to censor everyone, we wouldn't be having all the anger and resentment here.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I do not believe that I am. Nearly every "bad" post is because of something admins have done.

If you do not want to respect the views of your members, perhaps you shouldn't have a board IMHO

You could just start your own "My Own Opinion Board" if you just want to read stuff that YOU like and agree with [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old
ABW Veteran Student
MM I take it you've never been over to geek talk or SEF.

Compared with them ABW lets you get away with almost anything.

You've done nothing but run abw down since you joined and I'll be the first to invite you and anyone feeling disgruntled to leave if you don't like it here. You are welcome to contribute, listen and learn but no one said you had to stay. Go start your own affiliate marketing platform and see where it takes you.

George Carlin "f the f'n f'rs"
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
ABW Veteran Student
There is one thing I think Haiko has done wrong. If this were my place my finger would heavily sit on the ban button. I would not have let any of this recent crap happen at all.

My motto don't let the door hit you in the @ss on the way out.

I guess that's why I don't have my own forum, no one would like me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Also for the less informed majority. Moderators are not blood brothers of Haiko. We don't have super powers and aren't overly guided in how we work. We don't get paid nor receive any other compensation and we don't have regular meetings to discuss taking over the world. I'm no different than any of you at all except that I believe in abestweb and want to do my best to keep improving it.

Old
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
MM I take it you've never been over to geek talk or SEF.

Compared with them ABW lets you get away with almost anything.

You've done nothing but run abw down since you joined and I'll be the first to invite you and anyone feeling disgruntled to leave if you don't like it here. You are welcome to contribute, listen and learn but no one said you had to stay. Go start your own affiliate marketing platform and see where it takes you.

George Carlin "f the f'n f'rs"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect example of the way admins treat people here. You don't know how I am involved in affiliate marketing, do you? I've been to GeekTalk and sure they are ban-freaks too, but at least they don't have fun insulting their members and making a public spectacle out of those they dont like. In other words, they are a bit more "grown-up" over there. They also are able to claim having mostly "upper-end" affiliates. As far as me leaving... why? This place is so much fun [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old
ABW Veteran Student
MM

I am not administration

I am a volunteer moderator

Also In no way what-so-ever is my post above speaking against you.

I'm tempted to un volunteer so I can really tell you people off since you can't handle it from a moderator.
Old
Super Sh!t Stirrer
Heavier moderation. What are you kidding? It is the moderation that is bringing out most of the bad behavior as it is. What we need is for certain people in authority to act as if they have a modicum of self-respect and stop stooping to the levels we have seen.

If the posters weren't baited and goaded for offering a differing point of view but were answered with even one iota of a courteous and well thought out reply, things wouldn't get out of hand.

Then, at least the moderators would be respected. And, no doubt when they ARE in the right, I believe, the membership would tell the poster who is out of line to knock it off or universally decide to ignore them.

More moderation? Do you want to alienate everyone?

I didn't vote because the correct choice, "Moderators should get a grip" wasn't offered as a choice.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Of all the forums I visit, I would say ABW is the most lenient when it comes to moderation. I read things here all the time that aren't removed or edited, and I know for a fact that they would not be tolerated on other boards I frequent.

People at ABW need to be more respectful, and understand that others are entitled to not agree with them, and that doesn't necessarily mean anyone is wrong, just that they have different viewpoints.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.
Old
Super Sh!t Stirrer
That post you just made is exactly what I am talking about.
If that isn't inciting someone to make bad posts, what is?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.
Old
ABW Ambassador
I think some changes need to be made, but that is as far as I'm going to stick my neck out (and I did not participate in the vote). I've seen what this board can be and know it can be that again. Most people aready know what has occured and what needs to be done.
Old
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
MM

I am not administration

I am a volunteer moderator

Also In no way what-so-ever is my post above speaking against you.

I'm tempted to un volunteer so I can really tell you people off since you can't handle it from a moderator.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm, your post above states...
"""You've done nothing but run abw down since you joined and I'll be the first to invite you and anyone feeling disgruntled to leave if you don't like it here. You are welcome to contribute, listen and learn but no one said you had to stay. Go start your own affiliate marketing platform and see where it takes you"""

Please, just for laughs, tell us how this in no way speaks out against me!

For the record, a poll was started here by someone other than me. I guess if you dont want people's HONEST and/or REAL opinions, you can always LOCK this thread as well. I didnt start this.I merely added my opinion, so why don't you BACK OFF and stop harrassing me.
Old
ABW Veteran Student
MM tell me exactly how you feel my post was cutting you down. I'm sick of getting harrassed by you. I'm only stating my opinion and I am allowed to do that and so are you.
Old
Super Sh!t Stirrer
I didn't bring the subject up, either but since you asked.....

What do you expect?

Old
ABW Ambassador
Send a message via AIM to affiliatemakeover
You know why they won't let a woman into The Masters' Golf course? Because they don't have to, because the club is private.

It may be wrong, but it is their right.

I guess I just don't see why people think that this board is run by some non-profit organization that must conform to the world's feelings. It's not, it's run by the owner and mods, and regulated as they see fit, as is their ownership or given right.

I give Haiko a TON of credit for not banning as many people as he should have, and I give every other mod on this board a TON of credit for letting conversation happen, and knowing when to cut the cord.

Why do people feel that they should have a say in how this board works? You don't own it. So either stay and play by the rules, or don't. Or does it just make you feel better to "fight the power"? Give it a rest and move on to someplace else.

/end vent
Old
Super Sh!t Stirrer
Heyder,

Are you kidding???!!!

If you don't feel "don't let the door hit you in the @ss on the way out" wasn't a slap in the face, what do you think is?

Old
ABW Veteran Student
Facts:

1. I have not moderated this thread at all

2. I am allowed just like the rest of you to speak my mind.

3. If I say something that is not allowed I will be moderated by another moderator and it has happened.

Old
Super Sh!t Stirrer
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So either stay and play by the rules, or don't. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to see the moderators "play by the rules".

If it is too tough for them, why should anyone else? They should set the best example. They set the whole tone of the board.

Old
ABW Veteran Student
Ssanf,

That post was not directed at Miniemouse.

Old
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AffiliateMakeover.com:

&lt;!!start brown-nosing!&gt;
You know why they won't let a woman into The Masters' Golf course? Because they don't have to, because the club is private.

It may be wrong, but it is their right.

I guess I just don't see why people think that this board is run by some non-profit organization that must conform to the world's feelings. It's not, it's run by the owner and mods, and regulated as they see fit, as is their ownership or given right.

I give Haiko a TON of credit for not banning as many people as he should have, and I give every other mod on this board a TON of credit for letting conversation happen, and knowing when to cut the cord.

Why do people feel that they should have a say in how this board works? You don't own it. So either stay and play by the rules, or don't. Or does it just make you feel better to "fight the power"? Give it a rest and move on to someplace else.

/end brown-nosing!&gt;
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is ABWs right to make this entire place private. So then, why don't they? Maybe so they can say they have 6K members? I do not know. I am not a mind reader.

As far as the rules go, I think people here have a real problem with the "rules" being selectively enforced. It's ok for SOME people to speak their minds and to act childish, but not for others.

How bout we go thru the ENTIRE board and apply this mysterious set of rules to everyone, ban those who have EVER violated them and see who is left standing?

Sounds good to me.
Old
Super Sh!t Stirrer
Well, in the context of this thread, it certainly appears that way. What else could you have been thinking?

In any event, it is unbecoming to you.

As a moderator, you need to rise above that kind of post.

When the people in authority act and talk low, it gives implied consent for everyone else to follow suit. When they lose their temper, it validates others doing the same.

The board will be a direct reflection of those running it. If what is in the mirror is unattractive, it is pretty obvious where the first make-over needs to start.

Old
ABW Veteran Student
I disagree Ssanf

The subject of this thread is "Do we need heavier moderation?". My statement regarding that question was
-----------------------
"There is one thing I think Haiko has done wrong. If this were my place my finger would heavily sit on the ban button. I would not have let any of this recent crap happen at all.

My motto don't let the door hit you in the @ss on the way out.

I guess that's why I don't have my own forum, no one would like me.

Also for the less informed majority. Moderators are not blood brothers of Haiko. We don't have super powers and aren't overly guided in how we work. We don't get paid nor receive any other compensation and we don't have regular meetings to discuss taking over the world. I'm no different than any of you at all except that I believe in abestweb and want to do my best to keep improving it."

---------------

Old
I didnt even think my original post in this thread was even insulting or anything.

Some people just like to overreact.
Old
Super Sh!t Stirrer
Well, I only want to say that there have been some great examples here of professional conduct. People who stand their ground while never ceasing to act as dignified and level headed adults. People who understand that a well thought out reply and a soft word turns away wrath. These people have everyone's respect.

Look at Todd. He takes enormous heat. Yet, has he once lost his cool? Has he once insulted or belittled someone? Has he ever sworn?

If the moderators would act that way, we would have a different board.

Old
Super Sh!t Stirrer
LOL at an e-mail I just got. I didn't know! Very funny. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old
ABW Veteran Student
Minnie Mouse

No, your post was not insulting at all. I was just responding to what you said with my opinion which is that we need more moderation. I didn't mean to insult you with my responce but apparantly I did.

Ssanf, Good post. I agree that all of us need to keep foul language out of the picture and that improvements are needed. This doesn't mean I totally agree with you on the entire issue at hand but you are definately right about that.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search