Welcome, guest! Login
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Some show sites some dont? why the difference?

Tools Search
Old
I notice on the board, some of the vertrans the guys who have been around on the board for along time and do aff fulltime... have no problems showing their sites, they say yah this one makes me $xxxxxx amoutn of dollars and then there are others who are almost scared to show their site in fear it wil be copied?

why the difference?
Old
ABW Veteran
Good question shiner25, once you are a victim of a copier you will know the reason why some do and some don't. How would you like it if a affiliate copied your . you worked so hard to come up with a good approach that you noticed that people were starting to copy your ideas? hmm sorry but to me that is a crime. Why can't people come up with there own creativity. instead of copying others. they will not make money copying other sites because they don't know what it takes to convert and understand everything about this industry, There's so much to learn here, that I believe everyone is a newbie because new ideas come to you all the time. Think of your own ideas, don't use others.
Old
pph Expert!
Send a message via AIM to Gordon
Some of us are so proud of our terrible sites and our pathetic earnings we let everyone know what they are.

Other people are not so stupid and keep their terrible sites and pathetic earnings secrets to themselves.

Then you get others who really do make absolutely wonderful superbly laid out and fast loading sites and they make a bloody fortune of them, not chicken feed or should I say parrot food? they do over 10,000 posts so everyone can have the wonderful oportunity to go and see their good work.

Hi Mike that must be worth a drink eh?

YouTrek
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
I guess the ones who post their URLs here haven't been copied from yet...
Old
ABW Veteran
Leader, true, I"m pissed at those hijackers..

Guess those who post there URLS haven't been copied yet.
Old
Personally, I would love to have my company's homepage in my signature, but I am not sure what the rules are here. I don't wan't to make a bad impression here but if someone could let me know what the sig rules are that would be great.
Old
Affiliate Miester
I agree with gordan...

that frigen parrot is a millionaire...

He did it with an ugly and horrible to navigate website

guess the joke is on us

Joe
Old
ABW Ambassador
I have no problems telling the world about my main content site wrapped around affiliate items. It is in my signature. It does not earn much income from affiliate sources, but is a great example of a content/affiliate site.

I won't show you my pure affiliate sites or malls, they are the ones targeted by site copiers. You can find a few if you snoop around, but overall there is not a trail to most of them.

John

John

----------------------------------------------
work = Initiate Demand
passion = Global Ground Work
Old
mega crap
maybe some folks don't want the stats to be skewed.

If I had 1/3 of my visitors just gawking at my work then my click throughs would be low compared to my page views..

just a thought.

Old
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Prophet:
Personally, I would love to have my company's homepage in my signature, but I am not sure what the rules are here. I don't wan't to make a bad impression here but if someone could let me know what the sig rules are that would be great. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the rules:

"Signatures must not be greater than three lines of text and can not contain links to adult or offensive websites! You may choose to include a picture in your signature, but it must be an image no greater than 88x31 and non-animated. Affiliate Links are not allowed in signatures. Any signatures, that violate these rules will be deleted without notice and your signature right will be removed. ABESTWEB may allow merchants to have a larger signature for their full contact information."

I will add that if a sales pitch is included with the URL, it may be viewed as SPAM. But if you use common sense (ie, don't try to make your sig into a free ad) you should be okay.
Old
Honestly, if your program is unique, well thought out and is multi-dimensional it's not going to be all that easy to replicate. To be duplicated is the ultimate form of flattery. Lets put it this way, if nobody wants to copy you, maybe that’s because your model isn't that well received to begin with. Just my 2cents

BTW, you can see our program we just launched at www.WinningProfits.com. Copy away!
Old
2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner 
LOL...Gordo. Unlike some affiliate sites, who can be found just by checking the SERPs, mine is reserved for broadband savvy shoppers and AWB parrot bashers. Copying my site would choke anyone's home system let alone that gal in that movie "deepthroat". As a safety factor and negative backlink Haiko doesn't allow me to post my URL in my sigline.

guess this leaves me out...."can not contain links to adult or offensive websites"

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"
Old
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:

From the http://www.abestweb.com/rules.htm:

"Signatures must not be greater than three lines of text and can not contain links to adult or offensive websites! You may choose to include a picture in your signature, but it must be an image no greater than 88x31 and non-animated. Affiliate Links are not allowed in signatures. Any signatures, that violate these rules will be deleted without notice and your signature right will be removed. ABESTWEB may allow merchants to have a larger signature for their full contact information."

I will add that if a sales pitch is included with the URL, it may be viewed as SPAM. But if you use common sense (ie, don't try to make your sig into a free ad) you should be okay. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the heads up! I appreciate all the info.
Old
ABW Ambassador
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jon Riddle:
Honestly, if your program is unique, well thought out and is multi-dimensional it's not going to be all that easy to replicate. To be duplicated is the ultimate form of flattery. Lets put it this way, if nobody wants to copy you, maybe that’s because your model isn't that well received to begin with.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Huh??? Having your work stolen by low-life site copiers is flattering? Why would you think site-copiers only target the simple, easy to build sites?

Certain techniques such as server-side programming & includes help make sites harder to copy. Mine are dynamically generated by ASP but I guess the reason they haven't been stolen is because my "model isn't that well received to begin with."

Wayne
Old
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> To be duplicated is the ultimate form of flattery. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Baloney! That's like saying it'd be flattering to have your house broken into and your stuff taken. I'm sure that if the thief said he did it because he "liked your stuff" you would NOT be "flattered," you'd be calling the police!

I'm sure the first person who ever said there was anything flattering about copying, was a busted copying scumbag just trying to get off the hook.
Old
I guess I didn't convey my message like I wanted to. I will sum it up by just saying, make the appropriate safeguards but don't inhibit business because of being worried of parasites.
Old
Heres the other questiion then, do affiliate shopping mall mentality sites do well?

I was always told, and im prepared to hear your thoughts guys, that in affiliate marketing doing a shopping mall is a no no... its better to havea site on cars and a site on insurance, instead of piling them all together.. as it offers people to many options and they have to wade through everything in your site
Old
I have heard you make a fulltime living LEADER from your websits, are they malls?
Old
And who is Gordon everyone keeps going on about a gordon lol

Let the mystery gordon step forward
Old
ABW Ambassador
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shiner25:
.. its better to have a site on cars and a site on insurance, instead of piling them all together.. as it offers people to many options and they have to wade through everything in your site <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've heard that too but I believe the reality is that almost no one enters your mall via the front door and get faced with too many choices. Most land at your site on a page that a search engine found relevant to what they're looking for. When overloaded-mall.com gets "branded" to the point that it gets a lot of returning main-page traffic, you'll have had time to perfect the navigation.

There may be other reasons for preferring mini-sites over a mega-mall but I'm not worried about offering too many choices at the start.

Wayne
Old
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
When I had my directory sites in my sig I had a large number of not nice comments sent to me via my site feedback form, all with fake email addresses. Once I took them out of my sig the comments stopped.

I have my personal product links in my sig now and not my content or affiliate sites.
Old
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shiner25:
I have heard you make a fulltime living LEADER from your websits, are they malls? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the most part, yes! I have some topic-specific sites too, but malls are the mainstay. Sometimes Google will turn upside-down, though, so it's good to have a variety of site types up.

I will note that by "mall," I am NOT talking about one of those directories that are just a list of links. It takes more text than that for good SEO and sales, at least in categories where there's any competition to speak of!

Sizes of my malls vary. I have big ones and small ones.

As for viewers getting confused by the selection--Like Wayne (NorthernStudio) said,

"Most land at your site on a page that a search engine found relevant to what they're looking for."

It really doesn't matter how big a mall is, provided you can get its back pages listed by the SEs.
Old
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I guess I didn't convey my message like I wanted to. I will sum it up by just saying, make the appropriate safeguards but don't inhibit business because of being worried of parasites. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm a little confused on your point here. If you're referring to posting your URL on a sig line in a forum that is mainly read by webmasters and affiliate marketers, this has nothing to do with generating or inhibiting business. It's little more than bragging, and is a good way to get your site copied pronto by lurkers that always exist on forums. It's happened here at ABW before and it will likely happen again. As long as there are people who perceive site copying as a quick way to make a buck, it will continue.

Instead, work on getting your site positioned well in search engines for relevant keywords and getting good quality links in to your site. That will generate business and help your bottom line, which is what we are all striving for
Old
My point is this. Take match.com for example. They revolutionized the online dating industry. Now there are thousands of copy cat sites out there. Does it mean that Match.com has fallen to the wayside? No, in fact it’s quite the opposite. Now I do understand that by posting a great concept in it's infant stages can invite an 800lbs gorilla to come in with their capital and take your concept and out-market and outspend you to the next level but that’s where but if you are in innovator of your idea, they are always gonna be one step behind.

I have never been on a board where WM are as gun-shy as they are here about people pirating their ideas. This only brings me to one conclusion that ABW is a great place to be.
Old
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now I do understand that by posting a great concept in it's infant stages can invite an 800lbs gorilla to come in with their capital and take your concept and out-market and outspend you to the next level but that’s where but if you are in innovator of your idea, they are always gonna be one step behind.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Site copiers have no intention of out-marketing and outspending you with their capital (if they have any). It is copying your site word for word, complete with meta tags, keywords and page titles that they're after. When you find yourself competing with your own site that has been hijacked and "customized" by a site copier, and is doing just as well or better than yours in the search engines, and your revenues begin to fall, you may change your mind.

It also takes a lot of time and work to deal with problems like this - time and work that could be better spent on your sites.

Site copying is blatant theft and is a lot different than competition, which is what I think you were trying to address in your last post.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search