Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Throwing shit on the wall theory of affiliate marketing

Tools Search
Old
The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
During the convention, I learned some tricks of affiliate marketing. ONe of the tricks I learned (that I hadn't been using before) I call the throwing shit on the wall (and seeing what sticks) theory of affiliate marketing. It seems what you do is make thousands of pages with slightly different content and if you make enough pages, some of them are bound to hit and so you make money. How many people actually use this technique?

Iwould also like to know if people think this is the way to do it or are there better techniques?

Mike
Bovine Bazaar
Old
ABW Ambassador
What if in the process you get buried in it?
Old
Animal Lover
Never tried it myself...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What if in the process you get buried in it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trust you're just too funny

Oscar
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Did someone pay money for a convention that would tell you that trick?
Old
Troll Killer and best Snooper!
I decide when the pigs fly!
If most people used the 'flinging poo' method, those who handcraft pages would have a stronger foothold in the marketplace. The problem with the poo approach is you end up with a bunch of copycat sites.

I'm partial to the idea of using both approaches (handcrafted and poo), and as soon as I figure out how to work with datafeeds, that's what I'm gonna do.
Old
Super Sh!t Stirrer
My poo makes prettier designs on the wall than your poo. So, Nahaaaa!
Old
ABW Founder
Send a message via AIM to Haiko de Poel, Jr.

[not posting in response to a particular poster, just adding some "more" jocularity]

Haiko
The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli
Old
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
Targeted poo might stick better... (What a messy room I am picturing)
Old
ABW Ambassador
This is getting shittier. It's the affiliate marketeer's weekend-syndrome, I guess.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Roses grow from the shit I sling

It's an interesting theory, might delve into later after i go get my boots on.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Oh Shit, this is that, that is it!

Shit everywhere TM
"Success has grown from thousands shit"

Patent Pending. Shit!

If you like shit, become a shit affiliate, most are shit, but who knows...
Old
ABW Ambassador
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I would also like to know if people think this is the way to do it or are there better techniques? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For long term survivability of a particular site, I think this is a terrible route. But for quick short term gain on disposable domain names, it can definitely bring in some bucks.
Old
More Cheesier Than Ever
Gosh, I thought I invented that method - seems to be the only one I know - an aweful lot ends up on the floor however!
Old
ABW Ambassador
Try this "grabbing at straws" method and maybe your landlord will too; he'll keep knocking on your door hoping that "one of these times" the "shit will stick".

When you're willing to "DO WORK" and "FIGURE OUT WHAT WORKS", your chances of success increase.
Old
Super Sh!t Stirrer
Silly boy, we have figured out what works. Shit throwing works. If you are so enthralled by the concept of "WORK", Wal-Mart is hiring.
Old
ABW Ambassador
I guess if you are full of it, it has to go somewhere.
Old
Super Sh!t Stirrer
As long as they keep throwing into my checks, I am as happy as shit.
Old
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
The biggest flowers grow when the garden has shit all over it!

Real gardeners do it with WebMerge

Old
My wife keeps telling me I'm full of it, so I guess I'll keep slapping it on the wall till it sticks or she tells me I ran out. LOL (which I doubt she ever will!!)
Old
ABW Ambassador
While I do believe that you can make some money by just throwing shit and waiting to see what sticks, I make more from pages that I create with some thought behind them.

I would much rather have a small site that was doing well because of my creativity, than a large site full of crappy pages.

You still have to be creative with your shit if you want it to stand out from the pile
Old
Hey I just noticed I'm not a NEWBIE any more.
Old
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You still have to be creative with your shit if you want it to stand out from the pile~Julian <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
True indeed!
Old
The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
Replies and thoughts:
1) TrustNo1 - Some people are full of shit and they don't seem to mind

2) Adam - NO it was a free convention, everything was free there except the donuts which was union donums

3) Rhea if you have handcrafted poos, you should probably wash your hands after leaving you computer.

4) SSan - One man's art is another man's poo

5) loxly - Are you a poo marksmen?

6) Well there was alot of drinking going on, but I think I was told this b4 they opened the free bar.

7) Trust - Do the weeds grow too?

8) Shit shit everywhere and not a restroom in site.

9) jim - How do you know, have you tried it, plus if it doesn't work what's to stop you from trying a new technique in the former space. Once the shit is gone, it might take the smell with it too.

10) Cheese - Maybe it was you, I forgot the name of the guy who told me this. Plus, both cheese and shit are stinky, especially if left out in the sun a while. What that isn't true, seems poo loses it stink after time and cheese gets stinkier.

11) Chief, Who says this won't work, the fact is unless you get visitors you won't make sales and the more pages you have the more likely someone will stumble on your site.

12) Depends on the shit, dog shit must b cleaned up by law where I live, but if you let the cat out and she goes somewhere you don't see people looking for those cat turds.

13) SSanf - How happy is your shit anyway?

14) Spider - I'm not gonna argue with your wife, if she says you are full of shit, that is good enough for me.

15) No one says that its unthoughtful shit. Those who have lots of fiber has better shit than those who don't. This fiber planning increases the quality of the shit.

Mike
Old
ABW Ambassador
If you know what USUALLY DOES work, you can get the job done without having to use a shotgun approach that will MAYBE work SOMETIMES.

Better to WORK for 4 or 5 hours hand-hewing a handful of pages that will produce day-in, day-out than to do an entire day of WORK cleaning up and prepping a feed for an auto-generated site that will depend on some LUCK to catch a few hits sideways.
Old
Super Sh!t Stirrer
You really need to accept that in affiliate marketing, shit happens.

If you are spending more than two hours on most feeds, the merchant needs to be taught how to do a feed.

If the results of your generated pages only get a few hits sideways, YOU need to be taught how to do a feed.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search