Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Thread: The Truth About Affiliate Marketing

Tools Search
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Antisocial Media Expert
The Truth About Affiliate Marketing

- While you may get hints, no one is going to give you the full "how to".

- Most people will not understand what you do so don't even bother trying to explain unless you have a lot of free time.

-You must spend something. It's either going to be time or money. Make your choice.

-If you keep trying, you'll eventually "get it". One day it will just click and you'll be so happy you stuck it out.

- No book is going to tell you how to make a million dollars in twenty days.

-Sometimes you have a good idea and sometimes your idea sucks. You have to play it by ear and keep plugging along.

-The Magic Bullet Thread is helpful but it won't give you all the answers you seek.

Anyone else care to add any truths?
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Amen

ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW - None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe) - Politicians should be limited to 2 terms - One in office and one in prison. Give me a minute before I post again.
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:43 PM
ABW Founder
Send a message via AIM to Haiko de Poel, Jr.
Get a dedicated server with a real host.

Haiko
The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Affiliate Manager
Don't think its easy cause it's not.
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:47 PM
ABW Founder
Send a message via AIM to Haiko de Poel, Jr.
The only GURU you need to listen to is YOU!

You'll know when your being shined and also when you need to shine ... work smart, ask, learn and participate and after some time you'll make it. Then tweak, lather rinse and repeat.

Haiko
The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Life is Supposed to be Fun!
The Truth About Affiliate Marketing:

It's a fun and very cool business and the people who work in affiliate marketing are awesome.

Enjoy it and don't give up.

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Old November 27th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Classic Rocker
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
You must spend something. It's either going to be time or money. Make your choice.
Sometimes, a little of both.
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Affiliate Manager
But I will say that sometimes you do find little golden nuggets. We have a few niches that convert at better than 25%.
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Be willing to walk away from a site (or sites) that's not performing - even if you've given it a year of your life.

Focus on providing value to your readers, not on manipulating a sale.

Don't tell your wife about every small sale that comes in during the first months. Wait until the total amount coming in is in the hundreds, and then give it to her to make up for the time you've spent away from her. Later, when it gets in the thousands, you'll be able to spend some on yourself guilt-free and with her blessing (especially when you're able to take her to Hawaii for a week )

If there's a product that meets a need that your article discusses, be sure to promote at least one other similar product in a "just the facts" manner. It can even be a free one sometimes (as long as the commissioned product providers greater value, it'll still sell).

Less is best when it comes to ads. In fact, if friends go to your site and email you with "I didn't see any ads - how are you making any money" then you know you've done it right. (Hint: text links embedded in articles)

Make a regular Todo list, and check off things as you achieve them. As the list gets long, prioritize and focus on the most important things each day. Don't get sidetracked by other things unless you're willing to write them down and move them to the top of your list in place of other things. It's just regular project management, but you're managing yourself. You'll look back later and say to yourself "Holy crap, look at all I accomplished!"
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Oh, and when your family members ask you to show them how to do it, just politely say no thanks. It's going to be way too much work for them, and they probably just think they'll be able to make easy money (and there's just NO such thing is there?)
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:54 PM
What's the word?
It's a lot of trial and error mixed in with a learning curve

I don't think I'm going to pay for a dedicated server yet, but I'll keep that in mind as I progress.
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts
It helps to be independent-minded, skeptical, analytical, stubborn, creative, self-motivated, observant and disciplined. Being all of these things is not rare, but cetainly uncommon. Unsecret tip for you - right now, if you're wondering whether you possess these qualities in sufficient abundance, then you probably don't. If you read these things and said to your inner self, "Shit, that's me!" - congrats, you've found at least one possible, terrific path to your self-actualization.

If you're curious about what self-actualization (S-A) means, check this wiki entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

PS - if you feel motivated after reading Maslow's S-A details, and have that gut feeling that you need to get busy building a website, you've passed another test here now and I look forward to competing with you as you grow. If this post's meaning and importance escapes you, you've taken a wrong turn somewhere and honestly, the truth I see, is that your strongest qualities don't align well with those needed for you to find fulfillment as an affiliate.

The truth about affiliate marketing is that it's not for everyone, but for the slice of the population that it is right for, it's like nothing else.

No matter which road is for you, this one or another, listen intently to yourself and you will find your way. I hope you find your perfect fit and the joy that it brings.
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:00 AM
ABW Ambassador
Here's a lesson learned (and I'm still very much a newb to the whole thing):

It's very easy to set up a site that will generate a couple of bucks - a couple of bucks aren't going to pay the bills. True success requires time and effort. Don't think that after you get your first few sales/commissions that you're done.
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Troll Killer and best Snooper!
I decide when the pigs fly!
Quote:
Oh, and when your family members ask you to show them how to do it, just politely say no thanks.
I solved that problem. I've had a few family members and friends ask me to teach them how to do AM. I don't go into a big song and dance about it, I just smile and say that I think that's really cool -- and then I tell them that first they need to learn HTML -- and they're on their own with that. And that ends the conversation for all time because they don't want to learn anything or actually do any work or invest their own blood, sweat and tears -- they just want me to do all the work for them. lol!
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:54 AM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPlmr
Oh, and when your family members ask you to show them how to do it, just politely say no thanks. It's going to be way too much work for them, and they probably just think they'll be able to make easy money (and there's just NO such thing is there?)
Disagree 100%. Friends and family are great. They are someone you trust (hopefully) who you can show the ropes to and both benefit. Partner with them and grow from there.
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:55 AM
ABW Ambassador
Send a message via ICQ to Greg Rice Send a message via AIM to Greg Rice Send a message via MSN to Greg Rice Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Rice
You gotta love it. If you heard there's money in it, and want to get into it, but don't love what you do, it will be much harder for you. This goes along with "you gotta want it". If you don't love it or want it (bad enough) the first few weeks or months will likely finish you off. One $ with affiliate marketing is so much more rewarding than one $ at a j*b.

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza
Old November 28th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Affiliate Manager
Patience + consistent effort + research + education + trial and error + worthy forum interaction + persistence + mutual respect + networking + well thought out business plan + creativity + life balance + family + all of the above = a healthy path to the desired destination.
Old November 28th, 2007, 12:37 PM
What's the word?
Alan, you said it all
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Don't give up! I almost did 1 1/2 years ago. I was going through a rough patch in my day job and was really stressed out. Sales were non-existant.

Thanks to the support of my wife who begged me to continue with my love of affiliate marketing, I stayed the course.

I'm still trying to find my way in this business but I'm thankful that I never gave up and that I've met wonderful people here.
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetf
Disagree 100%. Friends and family are great. They are someone you trust (hopefully) who you can show the ropes to and both benefit. Partner with them and grow from there.
I'm glad your situation is different. Mine just wanted me to do all the work, or didn't realize that there was actually work and patience involved. After I sat down with my brother and walked him through all of the things I do on a daily basis, his eyes quickly glazed over and he lost interest.

Had an extended family contact me out of the blue after several years of no contact, offering to "partner, and bounce ideas off each other", which abruptly ended when I wasn't willing to handle his site layout and dreamweaver-to-drupal integration.
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Grandma broke her coccyx!
- There will be more bad days than good ones.
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Affiliate Manager
Oh Seymour, people are gonna start thinking they won't get rich a week after starting now!

Why would you wanna burst their bubbles?
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Grandma broke her coccyx!
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitourmall
Oh Seymour, people are gonna start thinking they won't get rich a week after starting now!

Why would you wanna burst their bubbles?
Do they actually think that? Lord help them if they do.
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:49 AM
ABW Ambassador
Send a message via ICQ to Greg Rice Send a message via AIM to Greg Rice Send a message via MSN to Greg Rice Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Rice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeymourButts
Do they actually think that? Lord help them if they do.
LOL, yes some do. I get it all the time "How can I make good money at this without working a lot or putting a lot of time in it?"

I tell them to buy lottery tickets then. This biz can be rewarding but it's also takes a good deal of time and effort.

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Not that fat.
Here's a few truths/tips from me... One day I'll write a book.
    style="list-style-type: decimal">
  1. "Set it and forget it" might work for Ron Popiel, but not for Affiliate Marketing.
  2. "Don't take candy from strangers." (tips from anonymous people might not be in your best interest)
  3. It takes money to make money... but throwing money at something without thought doesn't work.
  4. People are your most valuble asset.
  5. Uniqueness makes money. Copying someone elses profitable site doesn't make you rich, it just makes you a copycat.
  6. Know when to give up.. it doesn't mean you need to abandon the industry entirely, but changing direction doesn't make you a failure.
  7. If you found something that worked once, it may not be duplicatable, but trying is key, and if it works, you're golden.
  8. Lawyers are expensive.
  9. If you're not having fun, you won't be successful.
  10. Affiliate marketing isn't the only way to make money.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search