Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Thread: Impact of MN Nexus Tax Effective 7/1/13

Tools Search
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:24 PM
Impact of MN Nexus Tax Effective 7/1/13

I am a MN affiliate. Our legislature enacted an affiliate nexus tax that takes effect on 7/1/13. I have not yet heard of any merchants that are dropping MN affiliates, but it has only been a day or two since it was signed into law.

I am wondering if anyone has firm word on which merchants are planning to terminate relationships with MN affiliates?
Thanks From:
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Affiliate Network Rep
Send a message via AIM to JCrooks - AffiliateWindow Send a message via Yahoo to JCrooks - AffiliateWindow Send a message via Skype™ to JCrooks - AffiliateWindow
In other states, merchants sent emails to their affiliates if they were being dropped. So much is happening right now, especially with all the activity at the Federal level, it may take them a few days to decide whether they will drop you or not.

Personally, I think merchants are not racing as quickly to eliminate affiliates as they were a few years ago when the first legislation passed. There are more choices for merchants to manage to this law, which may now be a factor.

Bottom line, no promises, but hopefully you won't be pummeled the way New York affiliates were when the original legislation passed. Best of luck through it all!
Thanks From:
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Affiliate Manager
Send a message via AIM to AffiliateWarrior Send a message via MSN to AffiliateWarrior Send a message via Yahoo to AffiliateWarrior Send a message via Skype™ to AffiliateWarrior
It just passed and there is time for people to consider the path, and hope for passage of the MFA. I think you will see a flurry of activity in the week before this goes active if the MFA isn't passed and signed into law.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:18 PM
ABW Ambassador
Snuck right by me. Thought it was in the Stadium Bill and then pulled out so thought it was dead.
I thought the PMA was on top of this stuff, and would at least give us a heads up. What did I pay my big dues for? Worthless.

Just got an email from Overstock that they are dumping us. I don't make anything with them anymore anyways so no loss.

I don't really care, when this all started a few years ago I decided my main focus was going to be on major retailers who already have nexus in our state. We have Mall of America so most majors are covered.
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Motorcycle Superstore, Woodwind & Brasswind and Musicians Friend just dropped me.
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Printing For Less and Audible.com.
Old June 21st, 2013, 05:26 PM
Add ShopCasio.com and 6pm.com to the list of merchants who've dropped MN affiliates.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:30 PM
Zappos can be added to the dreaded Minnesota drop list.
Old June 24th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I've got some more to add to the list of merchants who've dropped MN affiliates.
Here you go:
Waterpik-Store.com
ShopThermos.com
Krups Online Store
Hershey Store
Cuisinart Webstore
CrayolaStore.com
Coca-Cola Store
Conair
BudShop.com
Snowshack
Old June 24th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I got a whole slug of drop notifications over the weekend - Fabric.com, CrayolaStore.com and the others you've listed.

Does anyone know if there is a way with Viglink or Skimlinks to ONLY use their links on specific blog posts (I have a WP blog) and/or ONLY for certain merchants?
Old June 24th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Four more to add the growing list:
MrCoffeeStore.com
ShopDelonghi.com
HunterShop.com
ShopT3Micro.com

Last edited by bibby; June 24th, 2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added to the list
Old June 24th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Greetings, everyone. I am new here.

About the Minnesota affiliate nexus law...

Amazon drops blogger affiliates in Minnesota to avoid sales tax | StarTribune.com

style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
The Department of Revenue expected Amazon and other online retailers to stop their affiliate programs in Minnesota, and had already priced the move into revenue projections...
What bothers me most of all is that the legislature and governor knew that online merchants would not undertake the burden and expense of acting as tax collection agents because of this new law but would end up dropping affiliates, which is what happened--as they predicted. As happened in other states that did the same thing.

So, the state does not get the money for the sales tax collections (that are supposed to be remitted by buyers) as they knew they would not and they partially or completely killed the incomes of thousands of hard working people in the process.

They didn't even care. Such arrogance. My original thought was that the state was holding affiliates hostage but that's not it. It's like some crybabies couldn't get what they wanted so they decided to hurt those around them just for spite.

I have not been dropped by any of my three affiliate programs yet, but I expect to be. I wanted to use Commission Junction for a new site I have been working on the past few months but that is no longer an option as they dropped Minnesota affiliates as well. So in challenging economic times things just got much tougher for nothing.

I don't make enough from affiliate income to relocate. It's a supplement for me. But if someone is a heavy hitter and all of a sudden their income is gone, I guess they would have no choice but to leave Minnesota. But they don't care.
Old June 24th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via MSN to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Skype™ to Chuck Hamrick
cheesedude your post got moderated as it has a link which is not allowed by newbies but I approved this one.
Old June 24th, 2013, 04:33 PM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrierocha View Post
I got a whole slug of drop notifications over the weekend - Fabric.com, CrayolaStore.com and the others you've listed.

Does anyone know if there is a way with Viglink or Skimlinks to ONLY use their links on specific blog posts (I have a WP blog) and/or ONLY for certain merchants?
I do know that with Skimlinks you can pull links for specific merchants and use them in blog posts. You can even deep link with a lot of them.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:52 PM
I haven't received and email from Amazon Associates informing me that I've been dropped.
Old June 25th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibby View Post
I haven't received and email from Amazon Associates informing me that I've been dropped.
My bad. I just checked and I did receive the message.
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:04 PM
ToBeFast.com is the latest merchant to dump MN affiliates.
Old June 28th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Scanning through all the comments here, and you're right, these laws make no sense. But that is no longer the point, I'm afraid. we're being used as political pawns to pressure Congress in passing the Marketplace Fairness Act. The Performance Marketing Association supports the MFA because it will make affiliate nexus tax laws moot, and advertisers will be able to reinstate all their affiliates in states where these laws passed (11 so far).

Big box retailers, Best Buy and Target specifically in MN, know that the more affiliates that get wiped out, the more pressure this puts on Congress to act. We saw a lot of progress when the Senate passed the MFA, but the House has yet to pick it up. And as we've seen on other issues the past few days, the House is not following many leads from the Senate. Last year, when the PMA was lobbying in DC, we had a lot of support from Republicans and Dems in the House, probably enough to pass. But partisan politics got in the way, it's been a common strategy to not work together. I'm just not sure about this year, we may see the same thing.

The PMA hasn't launched a grassroots effort yet this year, but if there's an opportunity to make an impact in DC, we'll definitely want everyone's help with writing letters. It's not quite the right time just yet.
Thanks From:
Old June 28th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via MSN to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Skype™ to Chuck Hamrick
Thanks Rebecca, we appreciate your input. Hopefully this helps some merchants in making decisions on keeping their programs viable for affiliates.

Tags
minnesota , minnesota tax nexus , nexus tax

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search