Welcome, guest! Login
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Thread: Wordpress or another CMS for a news website?

Tools Search
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
ABW Ambassador
Wordpress or another CMS for a news website?

I've never used any of the other CMS's besides wordpress (though I know some people don't call wordpress a CMS), so would another one be better for a news type website?

The website would have some static webpages, but also a few that are updated at least a few times a week via posting on them like a blog. And if I'm not mistaken, those pages could be done with different Wordpress categories. Wordpress can also make static pages.

So I think wordpress covers it all, static pages + blogging, or might another CMS be better?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Best New ABW Member 2007
I won't direct you to one solution, but instead to this site:

http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php

Try to keep your head from spinning and let us know which one you end up with!

-sfcom

Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM
ABW Ambassador
Too late, my head is already spinning, LOL.

But thanks, I'll look through that.

Last edited by Hardaka; April 22nd, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador
Send a message via MSN to lostdeviant
if you are looking to make a blog then Wordpress is the best. If you are looking to add other features then see what CMS or combination of apps and or plugins will meet your needs.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
ABW Ambassador
I'm definitely looking to make more than a blog with this. On the link provided, I found Drupal has the ability to blog now, maybe? Need to read more. The top 10 list certainly helped too.

And thanks for the additional comment lostdeviant, more to think about.

My head is really spinning well now, LOL.

Edit: And Joomla can blog now too?! Where is the smiley for head exploding? lol
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
ABW Ambassador
I've used WP enough at this point that I feel more comfortable fiddling with it to do whatever sort of CMS I want. Which probably isn't much, since most of the "CMS" sites I set up are blogs-wannabe-CMS, without even trying for all the bells and whistles you get with Joomla, Drupal, etc.

If you're comfortable with WP, I wonder whether you've considered any of the really terrific, "magazine style" WP themes that are becoming available? They used to be sold as "premium" themes, but there's one designer who's put together some really great WP magazine style themes that look pretty easy to set up for a news website -- and they're free. Let me see if I can find a link to his site. Ah, yeah, here it is:

Justin Tadlock

Anyway, just a thought.

Also, if you try those CMS test themes referred above, look for "Website Baker." I used it for awhile as a true CMS on a couple of sites -- because it's the only CMS really basic and simple enough that I could understand it. LOL!
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
Drupal and Joomla might have more than you need. Look for the features you need/want and go from there.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador
Send a message via MSN to lostdeviant
have you actually tried laying out on paper how you want the site to be and what specific features you need/want?

"more than a blog" could mean about anything.

style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardaka
I'm definitely looking to make more than a blog with this. On the link provided, I found Drupal has the ability to blog now, maybe? Need to read more. The top 10 list certainly helped too.

And thanks for the additional comment lostdeviant, more to think about.

My head is really spinning well now, LOL.

Edit: And Joomla can blog now too?! Where is the smiley for head exploding? lol
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
ABW Ambassador
Thanks writerguy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxly
Drupal and Joomla might have more than you need. Look for the features you need/want and go from there.
Good advice. Same with lostdeviant.

I did leave out a lot of features in the first post.. really thankful for all the feedback, it has got me thinking now.

I did want a message board/forum, along with comments, and maybe more of a community type membership system I'm seeing possible with Drupal and Joomla compared to Wordpress. Also perhaps a way for members to share things on their own.

That might be a bit vague, but definitely want to look for one that could do what I hope the website will become. Better to have it restricted by my own ability and not by the CMS I choose, right? lol

And again, thanks for all the replies.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:37 AM
SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced
Forums are great when they are busy. Getting to that is difficult. A slow forum looks terrible.

Wordpress with a magazine theme I think would do you well.

There is WPMU if you want other people to have their own blogs. But setup and hsoting is difficult.

And there is an open source social thing done by WP called Buddypress. It was done by a guy but they bought it.

Obviously I am pro WP but you might want something else.

YOu could always start on WP and if it doesnt have what you need, add a plugin, or if all else fails migrate to another CMS with a transfer procedure that is supposed to be easy, but I havent done it.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:01 AM
ABW Ambassador
The Revolution magazine (or news) theme by Brian Gardner has multiple variations for different types of magazines and it's specifically for that purpose. Not free, though.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
http and a telephoto
He actually released a free theme today
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Forums are great when they are busy. Getting to that is difficult. A slow forum looks terrible.
LOL, yeah.

Thanks y'all for the further replies. After having thought it over, I think it was wrong calling it a news website. That'd only be one part of it. So Drupal or Joomla might be better for what I want, but gotta do a lot more educating myself about them.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:42 AM
http and a telephoto
Joomla is easier to implement I have heard. I know some folks successfully using Drupal, but it had a learning curve.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
ABW Ambassador
Yeah, the learning curve sounds fun. At least my host has both already set up, if I want to use them. And I know the forums here has more information I can search for on them too.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:47 AM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
The Revolution magazine (or news) theme by Brian Gardner has multiple variations for different types of magazines and it's specifically for that purpose. Not free, though.
If you want something similar that's free, (I actually prefer it) you could use Branford Magazine
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele
If you want something similar that's free, (I actually prefer it) you could use Branford Magazine
Thanks for the tip on that one, Steele. I just took a look at it and downloaded it. Love the color scheme, and especially the navigation setup for sub pages and "sub sub" pages.

Edited to add this:

OOPS! I spoke too soon about the download. I clicked the download link for "Branford Magazine" and got to a page supposedly for the download, with a seemingly legit request for paypal donations and explanation that the theme really was offered for free -- and nowhere or no way on that page can I get the download, unless, I suppose, I click through the PayPal "donate" badge?

Seems a bit misleading to me. I'm gonna pass on this one. Darn.

Or am I just missing a link somewhere. (I know I have friends who think I resemble the "missing link," but in this case maybe I'm just missing a link?? )

Last edited by writerguy; April 23rd, 2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: To add last paragraph
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerguy
Or am I just missing a link somewhere. (I know I have friends who think I resemble the "missing link," but in this case maybe I'm just missing a link?? )
You're just missing the link.

After you click on download, above the "Donate" there is a gray box, that says "BranfordMagazine latest Version" in it. Click on that and it downloads.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
The Seal of Aproval
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardaka
LOL, yeah.

Thanks y'all for the further replies. After having thought it over, I think it was wrong calling it a news website. That'd only be one part of it. So Drupal or Joomla might be better for what I want, but gotta do a lot more educating myself about them.
Hardaka, I've been using Joomla for a couple of years now and have to say I love it. I'll also point out that there were (are?) times when I absolutely hate it. Joomla can have a pretty steep learning curve and sometimes makes things more difficult than you think they should be. On the other hand it makes some things so incredibly easy you wonder why everyone isn't using it.

I would strongly recommend that you visit http://www.joomla.org/ and read as much as possible before committing. There is an on-line demo for both of the current major versions of Joomla that allow you to log in to the back end to get a feel for it's administration.

There are several free and fee based templates that sound like they would fit the format that you are looking for. Perform a Google search for Joomla templates and you'll have a large variety to choose from. One of the things that I love most about Joomla is it's flexibility.

There are also thousands of Joomla extensions that allow you to add additional functionality or modify an existing feature to better fit your needs. Take a look at the Joomla Extensions Directory to get a feel for what's available.

If you do decide to go ahead with Joomla, my advise would be to take it slow and stick with the basics until you get a good feel for the way it works, the terminology used and which additional features you need.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
ABW Ambassador
I love Joomla, and have tons of sites based on it.

The only problem with host installations, they don't always have the latest updates and usually do not let you make changes at the file system level.

Installing your own copy of Joomla is easy, I mean easy...

If you have any Joomla questions, let me know.

John

----------------------------------------------
work = Initiate Demand
passion = Global Ground Work
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Xoops i find exelent but the seo of it isnt great but im sure someoe could fix that side no learning curve and loads of modules.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Sorry double post.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Best New ABW Member 2007
I would encourage everyone here to get involved with an open source CMS community in some way. Even if you don't code, you can still contribute. You can simply beta test if you want. We make money from using these open source tools so why not help build them to be better?

So, did you like the website, Hardaka? The best thing about it is being able to test any CMS on there from one central location without install. Can't beat it. If you want to know what I think is a diamond in the rough---SilverStripe. You have to have some patience with it. A little programming background helps. But, if you get a chance take a look and see what you have been missing out on.

-sfcom

Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
http and a telephoto
sfcom I used to be very active in a couple of cms and shopping cart communities. It helped a bit at the time, but I don't use any of those applications now. I like Wordpress because you don't *need* to be active in the community, because most things just work I actually think there is more value to discussing them here where we are discussing how to actually use them for a specific purpose.

Not to say people don't need to be over in the Wordpress forums, just don't think it is a necessity.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
ABW Ambassador
I was thinking maybe I should start a new thread about Drupal vs Joomla, just to keep the thread more about news websites, but eh.. people can use the search function, right? LOL

Thanks you all for the further and in depth replies.

sfcom: Yeah, I found that website real helpful. Been playing with some demos. Getting involved in a community might be good, but I can get a bit obsessive when working on a project and it gets most of my focus.. so not sure about that. Though getting involved in a community might help learn the CMS too.

loxly: Oh gosh.. wordpress forums give me nightmares. Unless they've been improved since I last visited, lol.

KPR: I'll check that one out too.

rematt and John Kruger:

Thanks for the feedback. Have been to their forums and have been checking out the site showcase area too.

I think my biggest concern, which I don't know if it will be possible with Drupal, Joomla, or another is what I'm thinking of for membership / interactivity options.

So far, this is what I've come up with:
*Profiles (everyone can see or maybe limited view for non-members)
*Submit Images (voting, along with different categories to submit too)
*Polls (only some closed to non-members)
*Petitions (everyone)
*Forums (member posting, everyone can see)
*Member Galleries (share their images)
*Member Blogs (not now, maybe future)
*Member of the Month (maybe not)
*Featured Member (be random, but maybe not)

Members could also comment on the blog section of the website, that I'll be creating, figure be good if they could comment on each other's blogs if I add that. Comments on the images in the galleries would be nice. And for things they submit, like images, an admin approval would be needed for them to show up (or admins could move images submitted to the wrong category), but not on the galleries I think. Might have other content members could submit too.

So could Joomla or another actually do that? Or am I dreaming way too big? Well, I most likely am, but can one of the CMS's make the dream possible? lol

Argh, sorry.. and thanks y'all again.

Edit: Geez.. and maybe even a PM function? Not trying to turn this in to a myspace type thing, lol.. although forums have PM functions, so that is covered, I think.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search