|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Notices

Thread: Making Affiliate Income on Facebook

Tools Search
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Making Affiliate Income on Facebook

Dear Folks;

Would anyone care to share any of their experiences using facebook as a means to help generate affiliate income.

Do you get plenty of traffic from facebook groups, do you redirect this traffic to your own websites ?

What are the pro's and cons of using facebook with respect to affiliate marketing ?

Many thanks in advance for your help !
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:23 AM
ABW Ambassador
Send a message via AIM to PatrickAllmond Send a message via MSN to PatrickAllmond Send a message via Yahoo to PatrickAllmond
Snib should pipe in shortly... I pinged him about this.
Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Developer
Yeah I'd love to hear about people's experiences

- Scott
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
Moved to the Web 2.0 forum.
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts
adrain123, you've asked quite a lot there - I think if you ask something more specific, you might get a better response. Asking the way you did, I see it as the same question as.... can anyone tell me how to make money on facebook?.

I know that's not what you asked, but it feels a little like it, to me.

If you're using facebook to make money, perhaps a better discussion starter might be a list of facebook add-ons you're considering and ask folks which they have used with and without success. As it was posed, it seems you're not giving any info - try to give a little, then people usually are willing to share more in return.

Here's an actual question I have about making money on facebook...

I read about some facebook application that Mark Cuban made, sounded to me like a social arena winner from the brief I read. Here's some more information about it:
http://mashable.com/2007/11/29/radic...uban-facebook/

Has anyone here used it yet? Were you trying to sell something or trying to collect money for placing ads? I know it's very new, but have you had any success with it yet?
Old December 12th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks Donuts

That was an interesting article

I did a search on "facebook" on ABW first before I posted the question

That came up with nothing.

So I thought the question had not been addressed.

I have heard of people using their post to facebook forums and groups as a means of directing traffic to their sites, which in turn creates affiliate sales.

But I'm sure that there is more than just that technique.

Just wanted others to share their own experiences
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old December 12th, 2007, 12:47 PM
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
Donuts, thanks for posting that. I saw Mark Cuban speak at Blog World and I am kindof surprized that this is the kind of application he developed. I like the app, and am going to give it a spin, but he was one of the "don't monetize your blogs or you lose credibity" folks.

I posted a comment, but since I didn't have an account, I am not sure if it made it through, will check later.
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts
I wonder if doing anything as an indivudal at Facebook can make significant money, seems like you'd have to be awfully popular to make that work. So I'm thinking the scale, and therefore the money, is in the apps. So maybe Cuban will make money, along the way users will make some money too, but not very many could make hundreds a day kind of things, as users. So I think the "hunt" is for coming up with cool apps that make money, this sounds like one of them. Other than that, I'm fairly clueless about the inner goings on at FB, I don't hang out there. So I hope to hear stories from others about how they managed.

I do have a very nebulous idea, I'll post it here and if you're a graphics person, run with it - I won't get to it.

Many people socializing share photos. Many merchants / services have cropped up that take those photos and make puzzles, bank checks, coffee cups, t-shirts, tattoos, etc - each requiring unique upload sizes and resolutions and more. Aggregate all of those services into one application, monetize it by referring users to those merchants as an affiliate. Question then becomes, how do you get it spread socially... offer members who know how to crop, edit, reduce red-eye, resize, smooth, upload, save, balance, gamma adjust, etc to be paid a % of anything they refer as long as they do the editing of the pictures and the presenting of the resultant available products to their pals. Get the little rascals grabbing their friends photos and making them right for uploading into the app and get them to go back to their pals and say "look what you should buy, it's so you".

Anyhow, you get the picture. (pun!)

I understand that FB's a pretty busy place, so something like it or better likely exists already... but there's got to be new ways to leverage affiliate marketing in similar fashions... hope some ABWers find some good ones to develop!
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Affiliate Manager
Send a message via AIM to Julia_Shoeboxed
Facebook for Marketing

Hey,

I have never used facebook to explicitly "make money." I have, however, successfully used facebook as a tool for driving traffic (which could translate to money .

First, let's revert to basics, so that readers who are less familiar with facebook will understand.

Facebook users can easily upload photoalbums, videos and other content. Not only is the content accessible on your profile to anyone you are "friends" with or share a network with, it shows up on the rooster/newsfeed when users sign on.

The thing is that people upload SO MUCH stuff onto facebook... that most people don't even take a second look at a person's stuff. The key is to share ridiculously 'sticky' content, so it becomes viral. You want friends to share it with friends who share it with more friends and so forth... (A great example of this is the new Obama girl video -- one of the best viral marketing campaigns out there!)

I would suggest this method over creating an application because it takes advantage of the whole "Networking" theme of facebook. The problem with creating applications is that many users are sick of applications, so they don't even look at the invitations. Additionally, users can only send application invitations to seven friends, whereas they can share videos and other content with as many as they would like.

I think if you can successfully get people interested in what you have to offer through marketing, you will succeed at directing traffic to your products and services.

Hope I was of some help....
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:24 PM
ABW Ambassador
I experimented last year w/ Facebook 'Social Ads'

Spent $50 for $0 in Sales

http://www.facebook.com/business/?socialads
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Merchant & ABW Ambassador
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by simcat
I experimented last year w/ Facebook 'Social Ads'

Spent $50 for $0 in Sales

http://www.facebook.com/business/?socialads
it's hard to make $$ via aff marketing on social networking sites... well, I have yet to learn of people monitizing it as an aff. I saw a post on ABw about the girl up North doing something on MySpace and pluging in Google AdSense.
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Developer
I've seen some very innovative and clever ways to make money with Facebook apps lately. I wouldn't be surprised if Facebook has made some affiliates millionaires by now.

- Scott
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM
ABW Ambassador
Send a message via AIM to IOWNIE
Millionaire Facebook Affiliates? Wow, guess its time to go check things out over there!
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:40 PM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snib
I've seen some very innovative and clever ways to make money with Facebook apps lately. I wouldn't be surprised if Facebook has made some affiliates millionaires by now.
Yes, with offers from CPA networks. I wonder if anyone is making decent money from something a bit more respectable, though?
Old February 12th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Analytics Dude
Ghoti:

It took me about 2 months to get our PPC working relatively effectively at Facebook. And what we're seeing is kids emailing product pages to their folks or elsewhere, and then us getting some transactions through those emails.

Obviously, this is from the merchant perspective.

What I would say about facebook is that even though we have some very popular dorm products (bed rests, etc), I don't think the average facebook user has his/her credit card out when they are over there.

I could be way off, but that's my 2 cents.

Kayak Fishing
Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Merchant & ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snib

- Scott
Guess I am behind the 8 ball. I have seen some companies intergrate facebook app on their site but not come across anybody/articles that speak of $$.

Last edited by Eric Ewe; February 12th, 2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Behind the 8 ball, not the 6th ball
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:34 PM
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
Guess I am behind the 8 ball. I have seen some companies intergrate facebook app on their site but not come across anybody/articles that speak of $$.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6vjKo6Lzg4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIztj_2DcRs

^^ Supposedly around $1 million/week...commissions for getting people to download a toolbar.
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
Yes, with offers from CPA networks. I wonder if anyone is making decent money from something a bit more respectable, though?
I'm not talking about CPA offers. iLike is a good example. They're an iTunes affiliate with about 4.3 million daily visits to their app. Then there's "Friends for Sale" that monetizes by giving users play money for purchasing through affiliate links. They can then turn around and spend this money to buy friends as pets. This app has about 600k daily visits.

- Scott
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Send a message via AIM to JAYMEDINC Send a message via Yahoo to JAYMEDINC
I saw a post somewhere in ABW that says Facebook is one of the best networking places for AMs after this board. Because of that, I finally decided to join facebook the other day, and have amassed a large amount of people who agreed to be my friend. (I invited every email address that has bought something from me recently, and had a facebook account associated with it)

Seems like a lot of my customers use the site. Although, I was expecting it to be a more mature myspace. But it doesn't seem to be much more mature. Lots of playing around on there.

Anyway, I figured there would be a network there for Affiliate Marketing. If their is, I can't find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

My Facebook name is the same name I use here at ABW.
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I found the answer myself.

I was searching in Networks, when in fact the Affiliate Marketing stuff is in Groups.
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I tried locating the Affiliate group you were talking about with no luck. All I came up with was Affiliated Managers that needs more people to join.

I Have started to use the Radical Buy App a few months back wth no luck. It looks like the word hasn't got out about it yet.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDayRegistry
I tried locating the Affiliate group you were talking about with no luck. All I came up with was Affiliated Managers that needs more people to join.
You are also in the Network section, not groups.
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:19 AM
ABW Ambassador
I want to build a facebook app (revenue sharing), but I plan on making it a "standalone" first, then interface with facebook's API if it performs well enough.

It would be silly for me to think a site that fails without facebook would succeed with facebook.

I think that is the key. Blockbuster has a facebook app. Pandora has a facebook app. They integrated an already successful model into another successful model for an additional revenue stream, not tapping facebook for "the" revenue stream.

I just have to make sure my model is successful, then integrate.
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:57 AM
As someone who just got into facebook (finally) this week, I'm not sure I understand the whole application thing. Are they just novelties that are intended to keep friends interacting with eachother?

Some of the things that have been sent to me so far, seem pretty immature. Considering I'm using facebook for business networking, I found that to be odd. After all, that is why I don't use myspace very often.
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:24 PM
ABW Ambassador
Yep, most are a complete waste of time (unless you like getting bitten by zombies). There are some useful apps.
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
I'm not very active on ABestWeb anymore because I disapprove of certain changes. If you post a reply intended for me, I might miss it.
Closed Thread

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search