Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Notices

Twitter and Affiliate Marketing?

Tools Search
Old
Send a message via ICQ to samharrelson Send a message via AIM to samharrelson Send a message via MSN to samharrelson Send a message via Yahoo to samharrelson
Twitter and Affiliate Marketing?

Can Twitter work with affiliate marketing?

I think so.

Affiliate manager to affiliate communication ... or ... affiliate to customer/loyal audience communication.

It's heavy on relationship, but that's what affiliate marketing is all about (according to some of us!).
Old
ABW Ambassador
I was just responding to another one of your posts over at Revenews. You might find this recent poll interesting as far as communication:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=86932

RSS - 0

The old method email still #1. I think Twitter might be handy, except nobody is really using it. Also what if Twitter goes under? email isn't going anywhere, so it's a lasting method of communication.

Also wanted to add with so many ways to communicate and time being an issue, merchants/networks are usually going to use the most preferred method(s)
Old
Send a message via ICQ to samharrelson Send a message via AIM to samharrelson Send a message via MSN to samharrelson Send a message via Yahoo to samharrelson
It is a lasting form of communication.

However, there is also an audience out there who does enjoy getting info or impt information from merchants or networks that doesn't rely on email (filters, junk boxes, etc).

I blame MTV, but I'm a fan of instant communication.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
ABW Ambassador
"However, there is also an audience out there who does enjoy getting info or impt information from merchants or networks that doesn't rely on email (filters, junk boxes, etc)."

Not according to the poll. I agree I like info promptly but again it goes to which method to use? What if something comes along next week, kind of like Twitter but a little better and then more come along. So everytime a merchant has something to get out, they have to use each one of them? Use Twitter and Twitter clones, send via email, send via RSS, call some, text message some, IM some ........ It's time consuming and most don't have the resources, they struggle even doing basic stuff like keeping creative up to date.
Old
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust
So everytime a merchant has something to get out, they have to use each one of them? Use Twitter and Twitter clones, send via email, send via RSS, call some, text message some, IM some
That's part of the job yes, making information available in ways that the affiliate wants to get it. Some of it can be automated using rss that goes from one medium to another.
Old
Can it work? Sure. Does it work? I haven't seen it do anything useful. I could care less what hundreds of affiliate managers are doing every minute of the day.
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Old
http and a telephoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
Can it work? Sure. Does it work? I haven't seen it do anything useful. I could care less what hundreds of affiliate managers are doing every minute of the day.
You don't have to be part of the "large" group, like the one we had for summit, I think Sam is leaning towards having twitter "groups" that are for specific people to join to get specific messages from each other.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Another question to ask is about adoption rates. Why aren't affiliates using all these different methods. Answers will vary but for me it's really simple. I like email, it works for me. I like getting everything coming into one place. I don't want application after application on my computer or have to go to various place to get info when I can just login to my email account to get it. It's easy, it saves time. Now I'm all for merchants and networks trying things out, having options as long as they still use email, which of course I think they will as it is the #1 form of communication and the one most prefer.
Old
http and a telephoto
I don't think anyone is going to abandon email as a medium of communication.
Old
Exactly what Loxly is saying.

No one is going to abandon email.

However, those who move faster make more money.

So, why be adverse to technologies that facilitate quicker communication?

Twitter has already announced that they are incorporating a "group feature" into the service over the next few weeks. I honestly think some merchants and/or networks will pick up on that and cause some ripples in communication with affiliates or customers.
Old
http and a telephoto
Awesome, that is the one feature that is sorely needed.
Old
Definitely agreed... it's been something a lot of us have been calling (YELLING) for since launch last summer.

I think the groups feature will really break up some of the static noise and help people to differentiate Twitter from email or IM or SMS.

Is Twitter the final answer? Maybe not. Maybe there will be another platform that is similar that will get a higher rate of adoption. However, I think these sorts of communication vehicles are invaluable for groups who favor instant and speedy communication.
Old
ABW Ambassador
I wouldn't base any type of service on Twitter. I just think it's bad business to rely on free services to provide service to your customers. But the technology behind Twitter is interesting. I wonder what's involved in getting a number like that for sending and receiving text messages...

- Scott
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snib
I wonder what's involved in getting a number like that for sending and receiving text messages...

- Scott
What do you mean?
Old
ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran
Snib,

It is easy, but not free. Search for "common short code" or "dedicated short code" i think you'll find some stuff...

Brian Littleton
President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.
Old
What's the word?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust
The old method email still #1. I think Twitter might be handy, except nobody is really using it. Also what if Twitter goes under? email isn't going anywhere, so it's a lasting method of communication.
Also wanted to add with so many ways to communicate and time being an issue, merchants/networks are usually going to use the most preferred method(s)
I agree with Trust's quote above.
I certainly would prefer e-mail to Twitter.
Thanks for the link, Sam, but I took one look and when the novelty has been brushed aside I'd ask "what's the main appeal besides typing what I'm doing each minute?"

7 years ago ICQ made a big splash in Internet communication. ICQ was the latest and greatest, is it still the preferred mode of communication? I used it night and day 7 years ago but I haven't used it since.
If I'd like people en masse to know what I'm doing/thinking/dreaming/hoping/working on/etc. I can publicize that to MySpace or I can make an entry in one of my blogs.

Does anyone remember Firefly?
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.firefly.com
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by samharrelson
, I think these sorts of communication vehicles are invaluable for groups who favor instant and speedy communication.

Or for groups that like to be snowed in with useless data they have to sift through. The edwards twitter you link to on your noisy to the point of being useless blog, is so much chatter without substance that is akin to reading entertainment weekly for your political news.

This is what I consider another service of hype over substance. Certain people feel the need to be on the cutting edge and be hipsters, regardless of the usefulness of the service. Getting raw data is no trick, getting useful data is.

Twitter is a perfect name though, like a humming bird twittering about - do I want to know about each and every wing flap, or do I simply want to know when it is at my feeder?

Chet
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhia7
7 years ago ICQ made a big splash in Internet communication. ICQ was the latest and greatest, is it still the preferred mode of communication? I used it night and day 7 years ago but I haven't used it since.
Can't disagree with that.

Again, I'm not saying that Twitter is the end all or be all of affiliate manager to affiliate or merchant to consumer or individual to individual communication.

However, technology (like metrics, payouts and top performers) is in a constant state of flux. So, all we can do is try to take advantage of these new tools as they develop and push forward or at least test to see if there's a way to adequately monetize them or use them for our own benefit.

Technologies such as Twitter are tools... and tools do what you make them do. You can break a window with a hammer or you can broadcast to the world what you had for dinner. Or, you can use a hammer more efficiently and effectively and drive nails and use Twitter more efficiently and effectively and communicate with a group of affiliates or an affiliate manager.

Let's not pass judgement until the group function kicks in... I think that's going to be a key to adoption (or at least testing!).
Old
ABW Ambassador
Quote:
What do you mean?
I was wondering what it takes to get a number like Twitter's 40404 number. It's the number you use to send and receive text messages via your cellphone in conjunction with Twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
Snib,

It is easy, but not free. Search for "common short code" or "dedicated short code" i think you'll find some stuff...
Awesome, found a service that offers it right away. I knew it wouldn't be free, but monetizing it is the tricky part.

- Scott
Old
What's the word?
Quote:
So, all we can do is try to take advantage of these new tools as they develop and push forward or at least test to see if there's a way to adequately monetize them or use them for our own benefit.
There are times when the "owner of the tool[s]" will assess a charge once it is known that certain individuals or groups monetized the tools for a monetary benefit. Tools don't always stay free -- especially after use has been acknowledged.

Quote:
Or, you can use a hammer more efficiently and effectively and drive nails and use Twitter more efficiently and effectively and communicate with a group of affiliates or an affiliate manager.
The communication would have to be subject to a particular/specific group in order to be useful. If the world can read everything, the communication will not benefit those who wish to engage in a strategy.

If customers can read all the twitters, the impact might not be that great.
Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetf
The edwards twitter you link to on your noisy to the point of being useless blog, is so much chatter without substance that is akin to reading entertainment weekly for your political news.Chet
Wow... thanks, Chetf. I completely value your opinion of the usefulness of my blog. </sarcasm>

I'd rather debate the issues here, so let's keep things on track rather than creating the type of useless chatter that you chide on the twitter platform.

On your point of data... I think there can be some usefulness in platforms such as Twitter or IM or email... response data from certain groups based on metrics such as effectiveness and response rate can be useful things to networks or merchants.
Old
What's the word?
Quote:
Here's how it might work in theory:

An "entity leader" would have to have an exclusive twitter account --that "entity leader" would have control over that account and could work the twitter account into the main web site. The "twitter account" would need privacy controls and a few other controls in order for it to function.

The "entity leader" could be an AM or it could be an affiliate whose website/blog/whatever has a following. The twitter technology would have to be flexible and would have to be able to sustain more than just "this is what I'm doing now" -- as that appears to be interactive but is not.
The whole key would be the "control" of interactivity.
Old
ABW Ambassador
I think your site speaks volumes for why you like twitter. Look at your pages, can you even see the content? You have 500 things sponsoring 2 lines of text. You like information overflow, you like the hum of the phone lines, not the message. Your points here express that and your website exemplifies that so I think it was on target to bring it up.
Old
What's the word?
Sam, thanks for telling us about this "service."

I joined Twitter but I'm not sure what to do with it yet

If the et al. from Myspace join how intellectual will Twitter be?
Ahh, but Shakespeare's popularity thrived and remains robust to this day because his plays appealed to the masses (whereas Restoration Comedy didn't and withered).

So how appealing is Twitter to the masses?
How can we connect the appeal to affiliate marketing??
Old
Quote:
Ahh, but Shakespeare's popularity thrived and remains robust to this day because his plays appealed to the masses (whereas Restoration Comedy didn't and withered).
Exactly! The theatre (especially Shakes' Globe Theatre) is an EXCELLENT analogy to the current state of Twitter.

What a great connection.

I'm a huge Shakespeare nut, so pardon me for my excitement because I see this connection as incredibly appropriate.

Shakes' plays, although valued by intellectuals now, was seen as pejoratively low brow in his time because of the medium in which they occurred. The theater was an interactive space where the crowd was very involved with the actors and the plot (the end of the Tempest comes to mind... release me by giving me applause!).

This is EXACTLY what Twitter represents in a 21st Century context... we're creating the creative tension filled space that was the 17th century Elizabethan theater in an online space... we're interacting with content authors and shouting out boo's or giving applause.

We're providing a platform for the next Shakespeare to write her plays!

Great analogy... thank you, Rhia!

Quote:
So how appealing is Twitter to the masses?
How can we connect the appeal to affiliate marketing??
Twitter is appealing because it gives voice to the big events in your life down to the most mundane. The threshold to online content production is lowered (blogging is not easy) and Twitter becomes a basic micro-blog for the expression of the biggest events down to the most mundane.

Anytime thresholds are lowered, people find it attractive. I think of Prodigy with internet access, then AOL, then Forums (ABW!) then email and IM and blogging then MySpace and FaceBook, etc. This is the logical next step in that continual progression of threshold-lowering platforms. Twitter itself probably isn't the end-all, be-all for this type of communication (there will be others), but for right now it represents something different.

Because affiliate marketing is about amateurs (I mean non-professional marketing people) monetizing their content, Twitter represents one more way for us all to consider how we produce, compile and consume content. When blogging first came on to the scene, we scoffed at it because of its inability to be monetized. Now, you can't find a blog without some sort of AdSense or CPM banner (mine included). Twitter (or whatever brand of this type of communication gains the most adoption) will see a similar transition.

Wow... great stuff and food for thought. Thank you so much, Rhia... you made my day!

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search