Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Thread: Stolen Coupon Codes

Tools Search
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:54 AM
The slot machine that IS paid!
Send a message via AIM to Billy Kay Send a message via Yahoo to Billy Kay
Stumbled upon a site today that besides using every tacky SEO trick, listed a bunch of coupon codes for a Linkshare merchant that I couldn't find in the Create Links interface.

Contacted merchant as to where I can find these coupon codes. He replied fast (thanks) with:

"Actually those coupons are meant for targeted customers which are stolen and posted on the internet. The affiliate program usually does not promote any type of coupon."

Isn't this against a rule of somekind?

Why buy from my website when another affiliate has a coupon for 20% off that I don't have.

What an unfair advantage this other website has against mine!
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Developer
Why not ask the AM if you can use the coupon and offer this other site as an example. He'll either have the other site remove the coupon or allow you to use it as well.

- Scott
Old May 17th, 2004, 12:37 PM
ABW Ambassador
If the merchant has one code for affiliates, then a better one for 'targeted customers' then why promote the merchant?

Drop them fast. If they have a better coupon for non affiliate use then they are not worth promoting
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old May 17th, 2004, 01:07 PM
ABW Ambassador
I agree, it is a merchant issue and not something you should make a case against this affiliate. I fear sometimes we are too easily turned against one another in this market and ultimately no one really wins in this scenario.

Your best bet is to as what kinds of coupons are out there, or if one can be created for your site and go from there. Please, let us not take this out on each other...
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Some scuzzy affiliate knowingly violates the terms of his and every other Linkshare affiliates's TOS by stealing and publishing unauthorized Coupon Codes - to the direct financial detrament of myself and all other honest affiliates, and the response is:

1. Drop the merchant

2. Be nice to this sleazebag and don't turn against each other.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHH!

At least 10 things popped into my head, none of which were drop the merchant or be nice to this thief.
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:44 PM
2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner 
Out the sleezeball phoney coupon SE spammer. Put him/her in a hole filled with rattle snakes just like them...but have more bite then bluster. Every sleezy affiliate technique uncovered here is just the tip of the iceberg. These are all copy cat moves just like the blind cookie settings comping from the PPCSE's and web pages of these wanks.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Mike,

I DEMAND that Charlie do the posting from now on - or at least hire a translator!!!

(Thanks Mike) I was beginning to think everone thought this was acceptable.
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:56 PM
ABW Ambassador
Ya, good thinking guys...Smear them in the mud, flog them, and if that isn't enough brutalize them with snakes. War mongers, the lot of you

Gee, you guys are such swell fellas. Too much bad attitude and hatefullness here. Whatever happened to due process and second chances? And yes, I am ready to be flamed
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:47 PM
ABW Ambassador
I think that you missed the point of my post.

If the merchant has an affiliate coupon, and a better one for targeted customers, then they should not be promoted.

Is it fair to affiliates if we are not given the best coupons? Of course it isn't.

That is why I stated that the merchant should be dropped.

Why should affiliates not be allowed to promote the coupons? All coupons should be available to all, or no coupons at all
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:50 PM
ABW Ambassador
If an affiliate violates the TOS he needs to be dropped by the merchant or at the very least be given fair warning.

This has nothing to do with bad attitudes or hatefulness. Merchants will wind up dropping affiliate programs all together if there are too many violations.
Old May 17th, 2004, 07:12 PM
notary sojac
GRRRRRRRRRRR
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:15 PM
ABW Ambassador
Most coupon sites are more than happy to comply with merchant requests when they have specific coupons they don't want listed. Unless told otherwise, we usually assume that all codes we find are acceptable for affiliate promotion.
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
I'm not very active on ABestWeb anymore because I disapprove of certain changes. If you post a reply intended for me, I might miss it.
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Billy, I'm not sure what the big huff is about. Why are you really mad? Are you really angry because some other affiliate posted a coupon code he got out of an email or catalog? Or are you mad because you didn't come across the code sooner? I will say that most AMs do not police every coupon site to see if they are posting "illegal" coupons. But they do police some of the bigger ones. All the merchant has to say to an affiliate is not to post those codes not authorized through the affiliate channels. If this "illegal" site is still posting the codes, then I'm sure they are not a large enough affiliate for it to be worth the AMs time to track down.
So - Post the code, unless told not to.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:22 AM
ABW Ambassador
Along the lines of your thinking, what really bothers me is if a merchant offers coupons to a channel outside of the affiliate arena but does not offer any coupons to affiliates. There are a number of merchants that have regular coupons outside of the affiliate channel but refuse coupons for us. Now I can understand perhaps needing to reduce the coupon amount to keep things profitable but to just say no coupons for affiliates when you are running them through every other marketing channel known to man is just plain narrow minded. Further, it shows a true lack of committment to affiliate marketers and the flare we bring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Julian:
I think that you missed the point of my post.

If the merchant has an affiliate coupon, and a better one for targeted customers, then they should not be promoted.

Is it fair to affiliates if we are not given the best coupons? Of course it isn't.

That is why I stated that the merchant should be dropped.

Why should affiliates not be allowed to promote the coupons? All coupons should be available to all, or no coupons at all <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:25 AM
ABW Ambassador
Believe me if a merchant doesn't want a coupon posted, they know where coupons are being used (from what sales and from what source the coupons are being used) and if it is a real issue they WILL contact you.

There are too many unknowns for either the merchant or the affiliate to keep perfect track of, meaning if it is a legitimate coupon code it is most likely fair game. You can also simply email the merchant and ask if it is okay, but no need to turn one another in...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sideburn:
Billy, I'm not sure what the big huff is about. Why are you really mad? Are you really angry because some other affiliate posted a coupon code he got out of an email or catalog? Or are you mad because you didn't come across the code sooner? I will say that most AMs do not police every coupon site to see if they are posting "illegal" coupons. But they do police some of the bigger ones. All the merchant has to say to an affiliate is not to post those codes not authorized through the affiliate channels. If this "illegal" site is still posting the codes, then I'm sure they are not a large enough affiliate for it to be worth the AMs time to track down.
So - Post the code, unless told not to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:03 AM
I'm "mad" for 3 reasons:

1. He's using promotions we're not allowed to use. The TOS states we're only allowed to use the promos available in the Linkshare interface. And this is hurting MY bottom line.

And I don't condone the suggestions of "Post them 'till you get caught"

2. How long does it take to make ONE link with linkshare? Twenty minutes? Log on. choose make links. choose merchant. choose sub-affiliate. choose text-link. browse until you find the appropriate link. only to find the merchant doesn't have a coupon! Hec I can save a DAY'S work simply by going to this guy's site and copying all his coupon codes!! (So I'm mad at the wasted 20 minutes)(times the number of merchants I have to update)

3. As jane pointed out, there's always the possiblity that as more affiliates use tricks, the more there's a possiblity merchants will just stop using affiliates - again, affecting my bottom line.

But, hey, this isn't the most important post at ABW!

So I'll just keep pluggin away at what I do!

PS: (Julian) Can't drop this merchant. One, they convert. And two, they're a "destination city". People go there (like Vegas) to go to VEGAS. I can't substitute another merchant (or a city)
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:39 AM
ABW Ambassador
Billy, I am unclear on the suggestion that this affiliate is using any "tricks"...This has not been established and as such seems to be brought for the sure sake of making an arguement.

Honestly, that affiliate is not hurting your bottom line in any way. The chances of each affiliate losing a sale to another affiliate is simply competion and we ALL find ways to have a competitive edge over one another. Merchants know when coupons are being used from their affiliate sales, believe me they will stop it if they choose to.

As I mentioned, why don't you simply email the merchant and ask if you may use the coupon in question or another coupon as you have noticed it on several affiliate sites. I guess it is a matter of how you approach it, but I just don't feel we should be turning each other in just to get back at the competition (not that you are doing that, mind you).

In the end all competitive differences hurt someone's bottom line, that is a fact. This is part of our industry and no I am not suggesting an anything goes environment either, just trying to be a reasonable as I can. To put a finer point on things, may merchants offer coupons but not all partners use them on their sites or email marketing. This just differentiates us and is just one means to competing.
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:49 AM
ABW Ambassador
Fact is what you see in the creative is not the only thing available to affiliates. A lot of times by just asking merchants, they will make a code just for your site or let you use codes you find elsewhere. It's up to the merchant and what they allow one affiliate, they might now allow another. All the merchant has to do is say if an affiliate uses coupon codes and gets a sale by using codes that they shouldn't be using, then they forfeit any commissions earned. Blue Nile is one that pops to mind. You get a sale thru your site with an unauthorized coupon, you get no commissions. Merchants know who are getting the sales and it takes less than a minute to check a site. And they can drop an affiliate at will. It's up to them.
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Everyone (except me!!) was right. Just got the official response from Linkshare. They have no rules against doing this. If a merchant doesn't want you to, he'll let you know - in the "usual" manner.
Old May 25th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Billy, didn't mean to sound like I'm "turning on you", just wasn't sure what the big deal was. But I understand your plight, completely. From my perspective, I have had custom coupons created by a merchant, with my site name in it, and those have been "stolen" and posted on other sites. I was upset, told the merchant, they did nothing on their own, but asked I wanted done. I looked at that situation 2 ways A) I could have them remove the coupon, or B) they could continue to promote my site for free. While this is not applicable to your situation, it is what goes on out there. Many AM's will even have a "don't ask don't tell" policy about codes, which is why I said to post until they say not to. Not as to be sneaky, but as to not put the AM in a bad situation. But I do warn, that some sites do not like coupons being posted AT ALL, just figure those ones out ahead of time, not hard
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Mama in Charge
I love when my exclusive codes are stolen, free advertising to my target audience, coupon users )
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Super Sh!t Stirrer
Maybe this is wrong. I don't get into coupons. All I know is that if I were trying to start a coupon site, I would go to all the high ranking coupon sites I could find and copy down what codes and merchants they have. Then, I would join those merchant programs and use my "master list" as a base to get started.

I guess, I would have to figure some way to check and see if the codes were still active and what the start and stop dates were and so forth. I am not really sure after that because I don't do coupons. But, that probably is what happens.

I am not sure how it is supposed to be done, anyway.
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:11 AM
I really thought it was a NETWORK TOS that said you can only post the stuff that's given to you thru the interface.

But it's the individual merchant who can or can't make that rule.

I contacted another merchant because this aff had SIXTEEN coupon codes for their shoestore that I could,'t find - merchant says he got them from their customer mailing list and told me to go to their home page and sign up!!!

Oh well, every day is a learning experience in this biz...
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:34 AM
ABW Ambassador
Why do you think a lot of affiliates keep well away from coupons?
It is such a minefield out there. So many unauthorized coupons floating about.

How much work would it take to verify all of those coupons?

Nah. I am happy earning what I earn without many coupons at all
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:25 PM
I can't help but marvel at the hypocrisy on this board. "Legit" affiliate sites complain about coupon sites, when very few offer any kind of real content beyond a pre-fab store front or a "shopping portal" that amounts to a bunch of links.

Not to Pick on Mike of EcomCity.com, but I'm going to pick on Mike of EcomCity.com. He complains that couponers amount to being the evil of the affiliate world, but his site offers no real content, just a bunch of links stuffed into a horrid design with the hopes that someone will click a link so he can set a cookie.

So before you complain about couponers, ask yourself if *your* site offers any real value to your visitors? Do you offer any real content? Do you provide any real service?

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search