Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?
Join

Notices

page rank and backward links

Tools Search
Old
ABW Ambassador
My new site has a page rank of 3/10 and although I have 30 reciprocal links on my partner page,(page ranks of 4,5 and 6) google shows no backwards links or similar pages. I checked to see if the sites I exchanged links with were using link farms and it appears that they do not. Can anyone explain why my links do not show up?
Also when I check out other sites backwards links on google, I see that individual pages of their site are listed as backward links yet the links are not listed on their links/partners page. So somehow they have managed to link to themselves? How do you do that?
If I am not mistaken I need those backwards links to increase my page rank.
Have I confused you? I must admit sometimes I confuse myself.
Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old
Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist
Only a bit confusing. Hopefully I have defragged it right and answered your questions [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

First, I read in this forum that Google only shows the backward links for sites with a PR of 4 or higher (but G does indeed know the links are there for lower PR sites). This matches what I have usually seen with my own sites. They would show 0 links most of the time until I reached PR 4...

Second, the other pages on some sites show as backward links NOT because they are listed on a links/partners page! There is most likely a link off of the pages themselves--usually to the home page of the site in question. This is commonly part of the normal navigational structure of the site. Those are "internal links"--links which go to other pages of the same site.

Internal links do not count as much as external links (external being when some other site links to you)--but they do count to a point, most likely because they give an indication of the size of the site. A site which has 10,000 internal links is going to be a whole lot bigger than a site with 5.

A links/partners page usually has OUT-links and therefore does not generate backward links to the site it's on (except for the navigation links). It generates backward links for the link partners listed on it. If those partners reciprocate, that gives the backward links to the original site.

And some sites can to get people to link with them without having to give a recip. If they get "free" links this way, those will show up in the Backward Links without there being a recip on the links/partners page.

And if you have PR under 4, usually nothing will show up in the Backward Links but every few months a fluke happens. But Google does know about your links--if they didn't, or chose to ignore them, you'd have PR Zero or maybe 1. "1" is usually when Google only knows about a link or two--common with new sites that only HAVE a link or two coming in...
Old
ABW Ambassador
Thank you Leader,
That was an excellent reply and you did answer my questions. I was driving myself crazy as to why they were not showing. Hopefully with the page changes I made I will get up to a page rank of 4.
Thanks
Cazzie
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Leader,

Just a note on your suggestions above, I also have sites that have a pr of 2 by themselves but add the www in the url and I get a pr of 4. Seems they think that www.you.com and you.com are 2 different pages.
Old
Stupid question... How do you lookup a site's PR on Google?
Old
Download the Google toolbar at Google Tool bar and then surf to your page.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Thank you workerbee. I never downloaded it because I thought it was more like spyware than something that was useful. I'll give it a try.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search