Closed Thread

Tools Search
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:02 PM
SellFire.com

SellFire Launches Coupon and Deal Feeds

Hi All,

I'm happy to announce that Coupon and Deal Feed support has been added to SellFire! You can now use SellFire to easily add affiliate coupon code and deal links to your website or blog.

We've integrated over 15,000 sales and coupons from 6 affiliate networks into our database. You can create a dynamic affiliate coupon feed and embed it into your blog in just a few minutes.

You'll find that creating a new coupon feed is just as easy as creating a product feed. You simply search, select your deals or coupons, customize the style, and add it to your site.

Also, all of the features that you are use to using in SellFire also work with Coupon Feeds, including "In Store Search", "AutoPopulate Feeds", and our WordPress plugin.

Finally, one piece of this feature that I am particularly excited for is "click to reveal" technology. With Click to Reveal, SellFire removes any mention of the coupon code from the name and description of the coupon. The code is only revealed to your site’s visitors after they click the link, ensuring that you earn commissions for any sales that are generated. You won't find this technology from any other data feed aggregator!

Read more about the technology, and see a sample feed, over at our blog.

What do you think? How will you take advantage of this new feature? Any things you'd like to see added?

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by jmacinnes; September 10th, 2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Adding tracking to links

Old September 11th, 2012, 07:53 AM

Hey, Jason, I was in our Sellfire account last night finishing off our 1st proper Sellfire site (& loving it, I tell you) when I thought, why haven't I noticed "My Coupons" before.

And that's why; it's new!

Excellent addition to the Sellfire.com functionality set!

We're going to be busy powering up a few more stores this week with Sellfire, now we've got a handle on how damn easy it is to setup & output. Wonder which ones we'll put COUPONS on? Better go take a look right now.

Many thanks, mate. *****

Thanks From:
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:30 AM
The Seal of Aproval

style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacinnes View Post
Finally, one piece of this feature that I am particularly excited for is "click to reveal" technology. With Click to Reveal, SellFire removes any mention of the coupon code from the name and description of the coupon. The code is only revealed to your site’s visitors after they click the link, ensuring that you earn commissions for any sales that are generated. You won't find this technology from any other data feed aggregator!
Perhaps this particular piece of technology isn't being offered by other coupon aggregates due to the fact that the technique of opening a browser window and setting an affiliate cookie when the user "clicks to reveal" the code is considered a forced click by many. Ethically, that's not so good. Have you discussed this with the networks involved and received their blessing?

-rematt

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:42 AM
SellFire.com

Hi Rematt,

The "click to reveal" code user-flow is employed by some of the largest coupon sites on the internet. So, I don't consider it to be something unfamiliar to affiliate program managers who are offering coupons.

That being said, if any program managers do have reservations about it, please just drop me a note and we can discuss either disabling that particular feature for their codes or removing their coupon codes from SellFire.

Thanks,
Jason

Old September 11th, 2012, 10:00 AM
The Seal of Aproval

Quote:
The "click to reveal" code user-flow is employed by some of the largest coupon sites on the internet. So, I don't consider it to be something unfamiliar to affiliate program managers who are offering coupons.
Jason, I'm not trying to be argumentative (and that being said I will proceed to argue with you on a couple of points), but large doesn't necessarily equate to ethical and I'm sure that there are many program managers that will object to this technique as well as affiliates, myself included. As far as the individual networks go, you may want to check with them to insure that this type of activity won't get affiliates using your service bounced from the network.

You may also want to click the link in my original post to get a better feel for what I'm talking about or contact Kellie Stevens at Affiliate Fairplay for more information.

-rematt

Old September 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM
SellFire.com

Hi Rematt,

As a business owner providing affiliate tools, I have a responsibility to provide features that affiliates find useful. Irrelevant of someone's personal ethical view, "Click to Reveal" is indisputably a feature that is widely and openly employed. I'm not trying to dismiss or devalue the opinion of people who may find it objectionable. I'm just stating the fact that this feature is used by both small and large companies on a large scale. Given both the ubiquity and transparency of the practice, we can reasonably infer that there are many people, on both sides of the affiliate/manager fence, that find this to be an acceptable feature.

That being said, I fully understand and respect the fact that you and others may not be comfortable with the practice. To satisfy your concerns, I can only be upfront and honest about the feature and how it works. Secondarily, like previously stated, I'm more than willing to work with people who do not want the feature being employed in their program or network.

Regarding specific program terms, I do need to stress that using SellFire, or any affiliate tool for that matter, does not relieve an affiliate of their responsibility to read, understand, and be in compliance with the specific terms of each program that they work with. I'll call out violations as I see them, but with thousands of affiliates, thousands of merchants, and dozens of term changes per week, it just isn't feasible for me to monitor it all.

Thanks,
Jason

Old September 11th, 2012, 02:36 PM
The Seal of Aproval

Jason, I can appreciate your position, we're all here to make money. However, I don't believe that I am just relating my own ethical viewpoint. While ethics certainly are in question here, if it were a question of only my beliefs I would probably keep them to myself (actually I probably wouldn't). And please understand that the size and number of participants in a given practice does not legitimize it, if that were the case then cocaine would be legal in all 50 states.

This particular tactic has been debated ad nauseam here on ABW (do your own search) and I thought that it had been put to bed 3 or 4 years ago; right up to the point that you innovated a tactic that I believe has been banned by most networks. I fully understand that it's not your responsibility to police affiliates, however, if you are in fact promoting a tool that violates the TOS of several networks and merchants then you should take some responsibility and notify affiliates of the potential of being dropped for TOS violations. If I missed that information on your site, please direct me to the relevant page(s).

As far as the major networks go, here's what I have from a couple. Everything of course is open to interpretation (and I have no doubt that we'll interpret these differently):

Sharasale:

Any Link placed must be done in such a way that it is not misleading to any Visitor and done with the intention of delivering valid sales, leads, or clicks to the related Merchant for that Link.

Linkshare:

...if you attempt to "beat the system" by simulating the referral and delivery of a user to an advertiser, then, not only should you be denied the benefit of Return Days, but you will also not be entitled to any commissions. You may even be required to return commission payments that you have already received.

CJ has similar verbiage in their Code of Conduct (they do not allow the reposting of their terms) as I'm sure most networks do as well as several merchants.

I'm not sure that a link that says "Click here to reveal code" that also opens a new window with the sole purpose of setting an affiliate's cookie meets the definition of a valid click.

From what I've seen here, you have an otherwise good service. I'd hate to see it's reputation soiled by a misguided attempt at "innovation".

-rematt

Last edited by rematt; September 11th, 2012 at 02:50 PM.

Old September 11th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Fighting the good fight...

Send a message via AIM to Convergence
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Shame on you...

Thanks From:
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:38 PM

It's a clear violation of the IAB code of conduct for Affiliate Marketing.

Voucher Code - Code of Conduct | IAB UK

Quote:
1. Affiliates must not use a mechanism whereby users are encouraged to click to interact with content where it is unclear or confusing what the outcome will be. For example:
i) Using “click to reveal code” and opening the site when no valid code is present or an offer/deal/sale is presented instead, without this being made clear before the click.
ii) Using “click to copy code” and opening the site when no valid code is available
iii) Opening the merchant’s site without making it clear that this will occur

2. Affiliates must clearly detail the nature of the voucher or offer/deal/sale before a user clicks to interact with it (by revealing, copying, visiting the merchant site etc.)

Old September 11th, 2012, 04:04 PM
SellFire.com

Hi All,

I appreciate all of the conversation around this topic. Few thoughts on the recent comments:

Rematt - Your cocaine comparison is ill conceived. Cocaine usage may be ubiquitous, but it is not transparent. Users generally hide the fact that they use the drug from the public at large. This is not the case with employers of this feature. Users of the technique do so an obvious and public manner.

Regarding the specific ToS that you posted, I believe a reasonable reading does not preclude click to reveal. The fact that some of the largest affiliates in the world openly use the feature would indicate that the networks agree with me. If they were so against it, why haven't they cracked down? Like I said before, determining whether someone is using this technique is obvious.

If someone from the networks wants to chime in, I'll certainly backdown if told otherwise.

teezone - Thanks for posting that link. The regulations you post do not establish Click To Reveal as a violation. Actually, it's exactly the opposite. In fact, they legitimize the practice. From the regulation (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Affiliates must clearly detail the nature of the voucher or offer/deal/sale before a user clicks to interact with it (by revealing, copying, visiting the merchant site etc.)
The regulations state that Click To Reveal can only be used when it is clear what will happen.
SellFire Coupon Ads never says "Click to Reveal" when no code is present. In fact, they explicitly say "No coupon code needed" for those types of deals. Also, to make the action for coupon codes clearer to the user, I just changed the link to now say "See Code and Visit Site" rather than "Click to Get Code". I believe the new wording is inline with both the spirit and letter of the regulation you listed.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by jmacinnes; September 11th, 2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Pointing out that the opposite of what teezone said is true.

Old September 11th, 2012, 08:06 PM
ABW Veteran

How to Handle Deceptive Clicks from Coupon Affiliates?

Quote:
I wonder why the US networks are so late to ban these "click to reveal" coupon sites. Thread: How to Handle Deceptive Clicks from Coupon Affiliates?
Quote:
Maybe there is a reason why many other feed aggregators don't use that technology lately?

Quote:
As a business owner providing affiliate tools, I have a responsibility to provide features that affiliates find useful. Irrelevant of someone's personal ethical view, "Click to Reveal" is indisputably a feature that is widely and openly employed.
That's a very important point to know in advance, before joining any network, or third third party tool. Regardless of the bottom line, money or ethics.

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:08 PM
SellFire.com

Hi Mr. Sal,

Networks are not slow in banning click to reveal coupon sites; they aren't banning them because they are not a violation of terms.

In the thread you link to the same UK regulations on affiliate vouchers are referenced that teezone posted. It is important to realize that those regulations actually undeniably allow "Click to Reveal" coupon web sites. Look at this line taken straight from the PDF in the linked to thread:

Quote:
Voucher code affiliate publishers must clearly detail the voucher offer that will be revealed by the click.
This line establishes a condition that must be met in order for Click to Reveal to be acceptable. In addition, the regulations also specify other conditions that must be met. SellFire is in compliance with all of them:
  1. Offering a coupon code when one does not exist (SellFire does not do this)
  2. Providing a link where it is not clear the user will travel to the merchant's site (SellFire does not do this)

Thanks,
Jason

Thanks From:
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM
The Seal of Aproval

Jason, you are repeatedly ignoring an important point. The user makes ONE click to reveal the coupon code and TWO actions result from it. The user DID NOT CLICK TO OPEN THE MERCHANT SITE in a new window. That is where the deception takes place. Call it what you want, it's a forced click. The user DID NOT INITIATE THE ACTION. YOU DID.

-rematt

Old September 11th, 2012, 10:30 PM
SellFire.com

Hi Rematt,

I didn't ignore that point. I addressed it specifically in my response to teezone. The reveal text now says "See Code and Visit Site". That's exactly what will happen they click the link. I can't see how anyone can click that link and not expect to be taken to the merhant's site...

-Jason

Thanks From:
Old September 29th, 2012, 01:06 AM

Well done, Jason.

I wish I had YOUR patience with thse posters to explain as succinctly & clearly & commercially & professionally to them & everyone else (who DON'T post their For or Against in here) as you have.

To a real-world businessperson like myself & growing into the wild & woolly ways of the Internet ecommerce sectors over the last few years, your facts make much more sense to me than those against.

All I can say is: If the customer wants to buy, help them do so! I'm voting with you, Jason.

Old September 29th, 2012, 10:34 AM
The Seal of Aproval

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwz View Post
To a real-world businessperson like myself & growing into the wild & woolly ways of the Internet ecommerce sectors over the last few years, your facts make much more sense to me than those against.
I've been a "real world" business person for over 30 years and have made my living in the "wild & woolly" world of the Internet for the past 7 years. During my entire career both on and off-line, ethics has always been of the highest concern to me. What still constantly amazes me is the way that those with questionable or no ethics manage to rationalize their behavior. A justification of "everyone else is doing it" should have been abandoned sometime in our teens.

I suppose what doesn't amaze me is what many will do for money. There is nothing innovative about this approach. This is not the first product that operated in this way and the networks have shut similar products down in the past and they'll get to this one eventually. Unfortunately many affiliates tend to get painted as unethical because they were too stupid/greedy/naive to do their own research. Go out to Clickbank and take a look around. Do a search on Google. You'll find similar scripts that do essentially the same thing, in the same way; and each and every one of them claims that THEIR product is completely legitimate. Take a look and tell me what YOU think.

When you hear what you WANT to hear, it always makes more sense. It's called rationalization.

-rematt

Last edited by rematt; September 29th, 2012 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks From:
Old September 29th, 2012, 12:12 PM
ABW Ambassador

I know of a few vendors who specifically prohibit this kind of coupon distribution, hiding it behind a click. But then there is RetailMeNot who uses the same exact method and vendors and networks alike look the other way. They also do things which are prohibited by many vendors, like user submitted coupons.

So how big does one have to get to be able to not follow the rules. Or are the rules meant for small affiliates only, like many of us here.

Thanks From:
Closed Thread

Tags
coupon codes , data feed , datafeedr , datafeeds , forced clicks , goldencan , popshops

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search