StuffedAnimals Forbids all PPC

Tools Search
Old
Comfortably Numb
StuffedAnimals Forbids all PPC

From their Program Agreement effective Feb 21, 2008
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Affiliates are not allowed to use any pay-per-click (PPC) engines to promote us. Affiliates not allowed to bid on and/or purchase any pay-per-click (PPC) keywords whatsoever, whether generic or trademarked to promote us.
I haven't noticed anyone else doing this, but I don't always read everything.

Old
ABW Ambassador
Makes no sense.
Old
ABW Ambassador
I don't use PPC for them but I don't understand this move. Other plush toy or stuffed animal affiliate programs will have affiliates bidding on a generic term like "stuffed animals". So now none of their affiliates will be covering that keyword term for them. I really don't think that's a benefit to them. Stuffed Animals describes a type of product too, it's not just THEIR name. That's kinda like handing their competition the rights to that term. Like I said, I don't do PPC so it doesn't really hurt me but just stating my opinion.
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Internet Cowboy
That is the most foolish policy I have ever seen, especially for a merchant who has such a generic line. You can't bid on "Teddy Bears" and send the traffic to your site if it has a StuffedAnimals.com link on it.
Foolish I tell ya. This merchant has an ego the size of Texas! Do they think they have every possible keyword combination relating to stuffed animals covered? Absolutely amazing!
I just did a quick check on some very generic terms, of which I am sure they have related merchandise:
Stuffed Alligator
Stuffed Camel
Large Stuffed Dog
Stuffed Shark
and they do not show up in Google PPC for any of these terms.
This is a clueless merchant that needs to meet a good affiliate manager.
Old
Affiliate Manager
Send a message via AIM to Alan Townsend Send a message via MSN to Alan Townsend
This is not exactly where I wanted to spend my Valentine's Day evening, but as any affiliate that has ever contacted me knows, I respond quickly no matter when or where I'm at. BillyK just happened to call me about this post.

Let me start by saying that SAS requires that emails be sent when there is a change in the policy, as they should. The policy change that was sent was written in the context of a contract, so when all CAPS were used, it wasnít intended by any stretch of the imagination to ďshoutĒ at anyone. Rather, it was identifying important points of the new policy.

Secondly, let me explain what prompted our new policy:

1. When an affiliate would bid on a generic terms and used our display URL, this caused our own ads to stop being shown. So it wasn't so much an issue with affiliates bidding on generic terms that caused us to change our policy, as much as it was abuse of our pre-existing policy. We have never allowed use our display URL in ad copy.

2. Because of #2 above, we were forced to constantly monitor our ads and contact affiliates who were causing our own ads not to display. In the meantime, our own ads on some occasions weren't being displayed until the affiliate pulled the ads.

3. Rather than constantly police abuses by a small number of affiliates, we decided to implement the new policy.

If you have any questions, please email me at alant [at] stuffedanimals.com or call me at 1-800-718-4171.

Alan Townsend
Affiliate Manager

StuffedAnimals.com - Find your new friend today!
StuffedAnimalShelter.com - Adopt a stuffed animal pet!
Old
Comfortably Numb
Quote:
3. Rather than constantly police abuses by a small number of affiliates, we decided to implement the new policy.
Seems like if it's a small number you could just restate the "no PPC direct" policy and then dump the offenders from your program.

Old
Affiliate Manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpaw
Seems like if it's a small number you could just restate the "no PPC direct" policy and then dump the offenders from your program.
Hi Bumpaw,

We have tried that numerous times in the past, but like you said in your own post when you started this thread "...but I don't always read everything.". Many affiliates don't read email notices and unfortunately, some don't follow our policies either.

Alan Townsend
Affiliate Manager

Old
More Cheesier Than Ever
Problem is, if I have your product among 10 others, I can't do PPC for all 11 products. So I am left with only two alternatives: Quit your program and get the PPC I need or stop PPC and get little or no sales at all to any of the 11 merchants.

Kick out those that refuse to comply or refuse to read emails that you title something like "Important Stuffed Animals PPC Restrictions". And only manually approve new affiliates.
Old
Affiliate Manager
Send a message via AIM to big0707 Send a message via MSN to big0707
HI Alan,
You should address your bidding policy with more specification.

You can visit Overstock.com , their bidding policy are very clear and specific: key words , Urls , Redirect, add negative keywords.

Also , a newsletter to announce the chang will be helpful to get understanding.

Gump Kan
Old
Affiliate Manager
Hi Cheesehead,

Obviously, our reasoning isn't intended to have you quit our program. The spirit of the policy also isn't intended to limit your ability to promote us on your site either.

In fact, I used to offer a rebate to affiliates that wanted to promote us on PPC engines and I even offered to supply them with a list of keywords (click here for Jan. 07 newsletter with the offer). Do you know how many takers I got for this offer? ZERO! It's ironic that no thread was ever started announcing that we were offering PPC rebates.

Nothing is written in stone and I will take your points into speedy consideration ASAP Cheesehead. I appreciate your point of view.

Alan Townsend
Affiliate Manager

Old
Affiliate Manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by big0707
HI Alan,
You should address your bidding policy with more specification.

You can visit Overstock.com , their bidding policy are very clear and specific: key words , Urls , Redirect, add negative keywords.

Also , a newsletter to announce the chang will be helpful to get understanding.

Gump Kan
Hi Gump,

Like I mentioned to Cheesehead, nothing is written in stone. We'll certainly consider more specifics. Thank you for your feedback.

Alan Townsend
Affiliate Manager

Old
ABW Ambassador
Alan, you might have to tangle with Google & MSN and Yahoo to stop all PPC bidding on what's been a generic term for decades (long before you were born).

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=11

And the ODP:

http://www.dmoz.org/Shopping/Toys_an...uffed_Animals/

Some of those sites (and the phrase) pre-date stuffedanimals.com by many years. That's the problem with choosing a domain name that's a traditionally common phrase in usage, and that's the utter stupidity of the USPTO for allowing such trademarks in the first place.

Pick a decade: 30's, 40's, 50's -

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...imals+1940%27s
Old
Beachy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Townsend
......The spirit of the policy also isn't intended to limit your ability to promote us on your site either......
But the wording certainly does.

Here's my example: On Tuesday I opened a "Beach Shop" section on my most popular beach resort site (will get 3 mil visitors this year). With only a few pages of products thus far and no promotion, we have already sold some beach-theme checks (4checks), a beach chair (NetShops) and some beach wall art (Imagekind). When the shop is built out with dozens of categories I plan to promote it for a while this spring with PPC (something I normally do not use except for introducing a new site).

A natural addition to this new shop is stuffed critters that children may find at the beach - stuffed dolphins, crabs, fish, whales, etc. So, because of your new policy I will not include any of your products, opting instead to use Playful Plush and Stuffed Ark and ...

In effect I can and will bid on Stuffed Dolphins, Ocean City Stuffed Dolphins, Stuffed Dolphins at the Beach, etc., etc. (on target and/or long tail) - and I'm sure your competitors will be happy to get the sales.
Old
ABW Ambassador
This seems more like an issue with Google and Yahoo than anybody else. They should allow you to prove ownership of a domain so you are the only one allowed to use it as a destination URL.

Also, policing an existing no-direct-to-merchant policy is your responsibility whether you like it or not. You're just creating a PR nightmare with this new policy. The police don't make new laws to catch criminals, they hire more police.

- Scott
Old
15 years and counting
Quote:
It's so easy to don't do YOUR job and put the burden on others.
Why don't you deactivate the affiliates abusing your program and just let the others ALONE.
Once again, I'm FED UP with clueless merchants.
Old
The slot machine that IS paid!
Send a message via AIM to Billy Kay Send a message via Yahoo to Billy Kay
I don't do PPC, but I get 50 of those "New PPC rules" email a day.

Most I delete instantly. Some, you can hear the frustration in the AM's voice in the email, and sometimes I respond with "I don't do PPC, and I'm glad I'm not an AM. You must get ulcers"

Amazingly, they always respond with a personal reply, they apologize for the inconvenience of me getting an email that doesn't apply to me, and then relate a horror story similar to Allen's above.

When Target announced we can only say Target 3 times on a page, did they pull that out of the blue? No! They obviosly had a problem with Keyword stuffers.

The problem is the same as it always is... the friggin bad apples.

I had hoped that when Linkshare announced Athena, and made us jump thru hoops to confirm we are who we say we are, it would solve the problems, eliminate the bad apples, and other networks would follow.

It's the Network's responsiblity, in their role as trusted third party, to monitor compliance. All networks claim to have Compliance Teams, but as near as I can tell, they only work one Tuesday a year.

But as long as networks profit from bad apples, merchants who are smart enough to see they're being cheated will continue to send us emails restricting us.
Old
15 years and counting
I don't do PPC either.
Quote:
Billy kay - It's the Network's responsiblity, in their role as trusted third party, to monitor compliance. All networks claim to have Compliance Teams, but as near as I can tell, they only work one Tuesday a year.
The networks are just a joke. They push newbies to bid on everything. Easy money. if each merchant was kicking out of the system the bad apples, they will not ruin the life of everybody, AMs included. It's just a few bad apples, but as nobody deactivate them, they are expanding their activities with new merchants, day after day.
Old
Alan,

The only way their ads will bump yours if is there's a glut of competing ads for the same generic terms and/or they have advantages you don't.

So, to use Beachy's example, anyone doing a search for "stuffed animals" who was just previously doing searches for touristy/travel stuff will almost certainly see sponsored ads for Beachy's site. Ads for stuffedanimals.com might show up only if you have a travel related stuff - but even if you did, Beachy dominates that market so...

There are only a limited number of PPC ad positions, basically #1-8, and a limited number of searches. Would you rather have your own affiliates causing a glut of competing ads, some of which bump yours, or would you rather replace those slots with your competitors? Bear in mind that some of those affs know their stuff really well and will always have natural advantages.

If I were a merchant or AM (and I'm not, so maybe others can prove or disprove my thinking here) I would rather see 80% of the ads somehow benefiting me, directly or indirectly, than my to see 80% of those ads benefiting my competitors. My army of affiliates would be what helps me dominate the market, even if they are bumping my own ads, and even if they're breaking my rules about the display URL.

With your own in-house ads you only have one slot unless you have ads with different domains in the destination URLs, which you likely don't.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Alan: I don't think the new policy will have much positive impact, but there's plenty of downside. The problem you had in the past was not the policy, but the undesired behavior of some affiliates despite an existing policy. Even if you have a new policy, it won't necessarily have an effect on the undesired behavior. With the new policy you'll still need to monitor your keywords, and you'll still see abuse from some affiliates. So the same problem will continue to exist, and in the meantime you've ticked off a bunch of other affiliates that were doing nothing wrong.

Last edited by ghoti; February 15th, 2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: oops, i added some text in the wrong place...fixed now.
Old
This is the most ridiculous affiliate merchant policy that I've had forced on me. Not only is PPC valid but it's also one of the most effective.
This new policy really handicaps us. Why shoud we remain? You want us to drive sales to your program but you restrict us from engaging in one of our most effective methods of generating those sales.
Why would we waste our time with your program? PPC has some of the highest convertsion rates of any online marketing methods utilized by affiliates. It's much easier going with a competitor who allows us to engage in valid marketing endeavors.

Most affiliates are ethical and honest. You are penalizing the majority of your affiliates because of a few idiots who can't read and are unethical . That's ridiculous.

You could have booted them out so they wouldn't have acces to your links. SAS also provides a report of clicks coming from invalid links. Wouldn't it have been easy to monitor that report for banned affiliates who were still running your invalid links?

Your policy makes absolutely no sense. Now you may see affiliates jumping ship to another program and using the terms "stuffed Animal, "Stuffed Animals" or even "Stuffed Animal Website".

Last week when I received an eBay message with their new seller feedback policy. I thought that was the most insane policy change in online marketing. Now comes your new policy...What a bunch of bunk.

Funny thing is that you will see the same PPC abusea nd will still have to monitor your ads but now you have ticked a lot of affiliates. Good job. Way to go.

That's my two cents on this.

Last edited by bibby; February 16th, 2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old
Affiliate Manager
Adjustments to Our Policy Coming

As I mentioned in a previous post, the PPC new policy was prompted by abuse of our pre-existing PPC policy. Despite repeated reminders in our frequent newsletter releases last year to all affiliates and one-on-one contacts with affiliates who were in violation of our policy, abuses continued.

As a business, cannot tolerate policy breaking affiliates who use our display URL in their PPC ads that subsequently cause our own ads not to display. Itís frustrating, time consuming and costly to deal with abuses and Iím sure any other merchant or policy-abiding affiliate would agree.

I have always been and will continue to be responsive to our affiliates. Iíve went out of my way in the past to be as generous and as helpful as I can be to our affiliates. I care about of the success of our affiliates because I know how hard many of them work to promote us and I appreciate that.

I am reaching out to Brian at SAS today to adjust the PPC policy in order to make it fair for policy abiding affiliates and strict on policy abusing affiliates. This will reinstate use of PPC by affiliates. Unfortunately, I canít modify the policy on my own until the Februay 21st, so hopefully Brian will help us get the new policy in place ASAP.

Iím not perfect folks. I am man enough to change the rules in order to work with policy-abiding affiliates who want to work with us.

Thank you for your feedback. You have been heard.

Alan Townsend
Affiliate Manager

Old
Alan,
I'm actually shocked but pleasantly surprised about your change of heart.

Hopefully we will look back on this and feel that the program has a sound PPC policy and that the program it's best to boot out affiliates who won't abide by your PPC policy.

Thanks for the update.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search