Welcome, guest! Login Join
Close

Login to Your Account

|  » Forgot your password?

Using pics from your merchant's website?

Tools Search
Old
Using pics from your merchant's website?

I'm wondering about using some of the graphics and photos I see on my merchant's website on my own website? I am signed up with Shareasale and Popshops but there are so many products and neat things on the main site that just don't seem to be available through SAS or Popshops.

I looked through the help section but I couldn't locate anything on this?

Last edited by MichaelColey; February 10th, 2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Changed "affiliates" to "merchant's"
Old
Outsourced Program Manager
Send a message via Skype™ to Richard - AMWSO
as a Photogrpaher and Affiliate manager if u ever "took" photos from my site or any merchant site i work with i would be really upset

if you really want to use them ask the website owners first

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso
Old
The "other" left wing
Send a message via Yahoo to davidh
I've got a feeling that maybe she's referring to the use of product photos to display the product that is for sale? It is a fairly common practice for an affiliate to use these for hand-hewn sites to promote merchants who do not offer a product datafeed.
Old
Half a Bubble Off Plumb
Contact the affiliate manager before doing it..

Send them an email...

Get permission in writing....

Most merchants won't give you any problems as long as they can approve their images first....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....
Old
Yes, I am referring to product pictures. Throughout there site, they have nice little I guess you would call them mini ads or blocks or banners??? Please excuse my lack of knowledge - still learning - Anyway, some of them just really draw you in but they aren't available in the affiliate section, so I was wondering if they you are allowed to use items from their site that don't show up in the affiliate section or if that's a big NO NO? I completely understand the concept of not using someone's work without asking or paying for it first. I have purchased all of my pics and clipart on my site legally. I'm just not sure how this affiliate thing works?
Old
Half a Bubble Off Plumb
style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeosgirl
Yes, I am referring to product pictures. Throughout there site, they have nice little I guess you would call them mini ads or blocks or banners??? Please excuse my lack of knowledge - still learning - Anyway, some of them just really draw you in but they aren't available in the affiliate section, so I was wondering if they you are allowed to use items from their site that don't show up in the affiliate section or if that's a big NO NO? I completely understand the concept of not using someone's work without asking or paying for it first. I have purchased all of my pics and clipart on my site legally. I'm just not sure how this affiliate thing works?
If you are in a good program, the art that you find has been tested and proven to work...

There are other programs that have crappy art-work that you just don't want plastered on your site..

Take my word for it...

Every network has affiliate managers that are supposed to watch over the merchant's program...

Some are GREAT...

Some STINK!

email them and ask...

If they don't get back to you, you prolly don't want to be a part of their program anyway..

They may tell you NO, but at least you asked.....

And you HAVE to ask....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....
Join ABW to remove this sponsored message.
Old
Thanks everybody for your advice. Very helpful and informative. Now I know what I need to do. Thanks again!
Old
OPM and Moderator
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via MSN to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck Hamrick Send a message via Skype™ to Chuck Hamrick
As an OPM/AM we encourage affiliate to use product images from our merchants sites as long as they are used to properly represent. This means that you can not try to look like the merchant's site in order to fool the consumer. Also, for product images as long as you are using them to sell the product via the affiliate program it is approved.

We also encourage affiliate to let us know if there is a product image missing from the program banners or datafeed. We will happily add that to the affiliate program.
Old
Analytics Dude
I'd add that in some cases, the merchant also needs to get permission from the manufacturer before allowing affiliates to use those product images. I've always been able to get permission from my suppliers, but there's no guarantee.

So ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS ask beofre using any creative materials you aren't specifically given access to through the affiliate portal, be it SAS, an in house system, or whatever.

Kayak Fishing
Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing
Old
Affiliate Manager
Send a message via Skype™ to Matt McWilliams
Agree with Chuck.

A good merchant SHOULD have them in their links under a category like "Product Shots" but if they don't, contact them and ask them to let you use the ones on their site.

If they don't let you, I would consider it a big red flag and might consider looking for an alternate program.
Old
every village needs an idiot..
depending on the niche, the manufacturer might be a great source for images. one of superCool's niches only has 3 major manufacturers, so he got permission from each of them to use any image on their sites. that's been a biggie. give it a try if it makes sense for your situation

the manufacturer might also have other helpful goodies
Old
Wow, thanks everyone for your input. Really good information especially for someone just getting started like me. I really appreciate it! I will take your advice to heart and contact my affiliate and see what I can accomplish. Thanks again!
Old
http and a telephoto
Send a message via Yahoo to loxly Send a message via Skype™ to loxly
I do want to reiterate Kevin's post. While superCool is getting permission and help from manufacturers, there are others that prohibit the use of their images unless the site has been preapproved. There have been instances in the past where affiliates have been sent C&Ds from manufacturers even though the products and images were taken from the merchant's datafeed.

So, another suggestion to ask first, just to be sure. There may be a reason the images from the merchant site are not available to affiliates.

As Chuck said, for all my merchants you can use product or merchant site images as long as you are linking from those images back to the merchant site and not trying to duplicate the merchant's website.
Old
Like others have said, each merchant has their own policies, so it's best to ask before taking.

Many merchants are very helpful, and will happy to provide you custom graphics, banners, text, etc. if you just ask.
Old
You should choose a merchant that offers a datafeed for you to use. Some product photos or graphics are usually included with the feed, which means the merchant is giving you permission to use them.
Old
ABW Ambassador
Send a message via Yahoo to Georgie Peri
If the product is on amazon .. then you can use the product image.. cuz in the getting links section for Amazon Associate .. they tell you to download the image to your server:

style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
Quote:
Preview
IMPORTANT: Save this image to your server, then cut and paste the HTML code in the lower left textbox into your web page.

Tools Search
Search:

Advanced Search