Hosting Tech Support Woes
    I ask for a simple update of PHP 5 to the latest version PHP 5.25. They said no problem we will get it done and after completion they said "please check". Now all my database driven sites are broken bad since they didn't provide the mysqli support as I had with the old versions. So I tell them.

Later they come back saying we checked 3 of your sites and they seem ok. Can you point us to one that's having a problem. They checked 2 sites that don't use mysqli and on the 3rd most have only checked the home page. I gave them a link and reminded them of the mysqli problem that I told them about over an hour ago.

Sites down 2 hours and counting just because I was hungry for an update.

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry to hear this, bumpaw. I know where "counting hours" can drive you to...

Any old saying: Don't fix it if it is not broken. I don't know how important it is to update your PHP5 to PHP5.25, I will be scared to death if I ever have to mess with my sites.

Well we got it all going after only 3 hours. Nothing compared to what Mayfly and others have gone through lately.

The lesson here is to check your configuration if you let someone else do an update of PHP. In fairness they did stick in there till the problem was solved. The new version required the Addhandler in .htaccess to have a 5 in it.
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .html

Hi,
    I feel for you. I'm currently in my 4th week of trying to figure out an html widget box issue.

In my hosts infinite wisdom and without notice, they rolled out a new version of their supported editor smack dab in the midd;e of December.

You can no longer use the html editor, you have to create widget boxes and place the code within the boxes. The problem is that when you create a new box on the same page, the code for the new box overides the old box.

Sorry to dump on you guys but I know how these types of things can be extremely fustrating.
    Last edited by bibby; January 16th, 2008 at 06:04 PM. Reason: spelling

dump away. Every woe of yours is a lesson for somebody else. But it does suck to be the poster of bad experience rather than the reader.

Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Okay. Okay, here's what's got Old Writer Guy a bit nervous -- I went through a terrible server crash about a month ago now that I've still not fully recovered from.

I looked around some forums, did the research for comments, reviews, etc., and switched my VPS -- to the same company which hosts bumpaw's sites.

Hmmm ... so far so good, so far so good ... I feel for you, bumpaw.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    to the same company which hosts bumpaw's sites.
    You don't really know what you have in tech support until you have a problem. These guys left me with a positive feeling in the way they handled it. They were accessible and stuck with it till all was straightened out.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread