Serious inquiry on traffic generation
    I recently launched a coupon site and have started a small Yahoo PPC campaign which is doing reasonably well but I really need to ramp up the amount of visitors hitting my coupon site.

I have read all the basics about creating blogs, writing articles, SEO and all the usual methods of building traffic.

My issue with these methods are:

1. Time to crate and update all of these methods.
    2. I find it hard to believe that big boy companies started this way?(I left out names of companies because it looks like it is against the TOS) I could be very wrong.
    3. It seems that you really need seed money to hire an AD/PR agency to get traffic really flowing. Hiring folks to write articles, handle SEO mgmt, PR releases etc.

I am not opposed to the usual methods but as a husband/wife venture we are on a limited budget.

One of the problems is I handle all the back end maintenance while my wife handles the upkeep of offers/coupons etc. I am currently making changes to the back end to create more functionality for our customer base. The better experience I can offer our customers the more likely they will come back and pass the word.

This makes it very difficult to write a new PR every day/week, submitting it, writing articles etc etc.

Also we have FT jobs.

I would really like to know what the best approach is to generate a serious level of traffic. (I know that sales is what is important, but I believe that once customers see our site, it will sell itself) It's a number's game, 100 visitors will make me $x, 1,000,000 visitors will make me $x.

Thank you for your time.

I didnít know that!

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Three options:

1. Depend on PPC
    2. Depend on SEO, which does in fact take time
    3. Do both

There are no magic formulas for getting tons of traffic any other way that I know of.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

You could actually get a free lancer to write your articles fairly cheap. Search for freelancers. THere are several sites that are geared toward hooking up webmasters and freelancers..

PPC would cost you a lot of money and this is not the way to go in the long run. I have spent quite some money on PPC and the ROI wasn't worth it.
    If you need to find a freelancer as martyogelvie mentioned, I would recommend http://www.project4hire.com

I've never made a killing with PPC either. I think if you do it, you need to concentrate on 'long tail' keywords. All those coupon sites offering the same coupons and bidding on general terms like 'coupons', don't know how much benefit they get from that. If fact I seem to see fewer adwords ads like that now than in the past...

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I think I wrote this on this forum before but you are either going to pay with your time, or pay with your money, usually a combo of both.

I don't know that PPC is the wrong way to go. I am fairly certain there are folks making a killing off of PPC and their not gonna let on for fear of adding competition. That being said, PPC is risky. You have to know what your doing and that would probably require spending a lot of money to learn the ropes.

A few years back, I did a PPC campaign for a company that prromised they could show me how to earn $$$ using PPC. They told me exactly what ads to run on google and sure enough, it worked. I spent a lot of $$$ running the ads and a few weeks later the sales were rolling in. The issue I had was the constant maintenance required with PPC. Soon after, the sales stopped, requiring a new and improved ad.

PPC works best for websites that sell products or services. Not for coupon websites in my opinion.

This may be my first post, but my online investments generate 7 figures each year. Just like everyone else (or almost everyone else), I started with no money.

In my not so humble opinion, freelance article writing is a waste of time and money. A. freelancers who write articles on the cheap seldom write anything that is going to get you a lot of attention or loyalty, and B. that money is far better invested elsewhere.

If PPC is the main choice then yes, long tail is key. I suggest dozens of accounts with networks from adwords to small time ad networks. Long tail keywords obviously breed far less traffic so the more advertising accounts, the more potential traffic.

My method was email right from the start, and I don't think you can promote companies on the forum so you'll have to search them out yourself. A good targeted list beats a PPC campaign every time. If you look hard enough, you'll find brokers that have exactly the list you need.

My other strategy was going right to contextual sites and saying "hey, you've got customer lists, let's make a deal for a solo ad to them". Not everyone was into the idea of promoting someone elses site even if the financial benefit was there, but many were and better than that, they had no idea what a solo ad was worth, so I always got a great deal.

Just a thought.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Be very careful with the email, it's often untargeted and it has pitfalls that can get your burned badly in several ways.

I'm going to disagee with "freelance article writing is a waste of time and money". Especially for someone starting, it has several advantages. It allow loads of creativity, it aids seo with backlinks, it's cost barriers are low for the exposure you can get, and because of how it's distributed, it can often be very well targeted.

Creativity is the key, in my mind. Focus all of your attention of it. You said this is a coupon site... so write an article about doing something pertinent to what you offer, then work in your site as an enabler (saving them money) to help them do that.

If you have problems getting your relevant links worked into the story told in the distributed press release / article, you might also try pointing to a page on your site that contains the distributed article and also has your "helpful" coupon links in a sidebar.

Example themes might be...

What's Hot in Snow Skiing:
    +link to your page for BackCountry for discount lift tickets.
    +link to your page for Ski Chalet for discount snowboards and ski equipment.
    +link to your page for UnitedShades for their Prada Sport sunglasses.

Women's Only Outdoor Adventure Travel:
    (google "Women's Only Outdoor Adventure Travel" if you're not familiar with this niche)
    +link to your page for Moosejaw for women's hiking and climbing gear discounts.
    +link to your page for ImageKind and tell them about how they can make money from their trip by later selling their inspirational pictures they will take during their adventure (though you don't get paid for artists, some article readers just might buy something from ImageKind).
    +link to your page for OutdoorCooking gear and think of something cute to say about having to only cook for yourself (not everyone else in the house) and that clean up and dish washing after meals and a good rock climb, just ain't like it is at home.

Valentine's Day Food Ideas:
    +sweet kids treat: link to your page for TysToyBox discounts, they have a cute kids book called "Be My Valentine" that features the character Strawberry Shortcake... So mention the book and how it would go well with eating some shortcakes that the kids can "bake" with (no actual cooking, have her use those premade single-serving cakes, a few strawberries and some whip cream).
    +snacks: link to your coupons for the nostalgic candies sold by OldTimeCandy, including their valentine's collection of candies.
    +hot dessert: link to your coupons for yumdrop, hips and curves or boudoir essentials, let Momma make herself scrumptious.

[in all cases, only use the Merchants name with their permission, which likely isn't necessary anyhow since you want to drop them on your site's page anyhow and you're describing an activity (as an idea), not a merchant's brand name].

Anyhow, pour your creativity into it, but also keep it very relevant to your site.

People are looking for ideas, millions of them. If you've bothered to build a site, I'd guess that you have some stuck in your head right now. Decide to set them free for people to read and let them know how you're trying to help them save and enjoy their shopping all the more.

Good luck and have fun!

As a freelance photographer I use http://www.getafreelancer.com/

I do no affiliate work with them whatsoever so this will not gain me anything. I am offering this for your gain only. It is a rather restrictive site, in that you are able to bid on or offer only 20 projects before you pay a fee, and that is perfectly understandable. But it seems that from viewing writing projects in the past that bids are relatively inexpensive if this will fit for you, and the bonus is that you are able to set the range of acceptable payment.

Hope this helps, but as new to all of this as I am in writing my blog, I can't tell you how many times I have heard that fresh content and relevance is the key. How successful have I been there? I have just this morning bid for the first time.

FT jobs, as I also have, do cut into making money don't they? Much success to you & your wife.

The issue with PPC for a coupon affiliate website is tracking the click back to the conversion. For example you bid on a word like "amazon coupons" - You get a click and that click converts to a sale. Its quite difficult to track which keywords are converting to sales unless the merchant lets you install tracking code on their thank you page. Some merchants will but many will not. I come from a very strong PPC background and have a coupon site but am hesitant to use PPC to promote due to this issue.

Maybe I can help
    Quote Originally Posted by Farley
    I recently launched a coupon site and have started a small Yahoo PPC campaign which is doing reasonably well but I really need to ramp up the amount of visitors hitting my coupon site.

This makes it very difficult to write a new PR every day/week, submitting it, writing articles etc etc.
    Also we have FT jobs.
    Thank you for your time.

Maybe I can help. I write articles all the time. Want me to write some for you? Tell me your topic and we can talk about this since I am a newbie too I cannot tell you my website url here. I can be reached by email in my profile.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread