Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Network Rep
    Pepperjam Launches Pepperjam Network
    Hi ABW members!

I am Kris Jones, President & CEO of Pepperjam.

I'd like to welcome you to the Pepperjam Network forum on ABW.

Yesterday (1-15-08) we announced the launch of Pepperjam Network.

CLICK HERE to learn more.

As you'll see from the highlights below, Pepperjam Network is a next generation affiliate marketing network. What this means is that we addressed several of the reported shortcomings that exist with other affiliate network technologies, and we also created a Web 2.0 environment that harnesses the latest technologies to provide you with a clean, easy-to-use interface.

We hope you join and enjoy Pepperjam Network!

For your information, this board will be moderated by Pepperjam's Senior Director of Affiliate Marketing, Robyn Jones. She will introduce herself in a follow-up thread.

Here are some of the key highlights of Pepperjam Network:

- Pepperjam Network addresses two of the most significant shortcomings found on other existing affiliate networks: (1) poor, unreliable communication tools and (2) lack of affiliate transparency.
    - With Pepperjam Network, affiliates and advertisers can communicate in real-time via Pepperjam Chat™, thereby providing a reliable communication system to build stronger, more profitable partnerships.
    - Pepperjam Network provides advertisers with an unprecedented measure of affiliate transparency, which helps to establish trust, protect brand integrity, and lays the groundwork for open, long-term, profitable relationships.
    - Pepperjam Network uses Web 2.0 technology to provide affiliates and advertisers with an easy-to-use, clean interface.
    - Pepperjam Network offers industry leading SID-level tracking and reporting (great for sophisticated search marketing affiliates)
    - Pepperjam Network introduces pepperjamADS™, which is a first-ever affiliate marketing widget that affiliates can use to serve customized contextual ads from multiple Pepperjam Network advertisers at the same time.
    - Pepperjam Network contains a knowledge vault, which is exclusive to Pepperjam affiliates. The vault contains exclusive access to a list of tools and educational resources used by Super Affiliates.
    - Pepperjam Network represents over eight years of research and development and the combined ideas, feedback, and intelligence of hundreds of affiliate marketers and advertisers.
    - Pepperjam Network launched with over 100 merchants and growing quickly, including Jelly Belly, AeroGrow, Oscar de la Renta, BabyPhat, Rocawear, Ben Sherman, FlyCell, SinglesNet, SEOmoz Premium, and many more.
    - Pepperjam Network has its own affiliate program that pays out up to $7 per approved publisher application
    - Pepperjam Network provides bi-weekly payments to affiliates
    - Check out the Pepperjam Network Blog for videos, commentary and updates on Pepperjam Network and the broader affiliate marketing community
    - Pepperjam Network is FREE to join.

Welcome.

(Some of us do paid blog posting and found out this morning about Pepperjam Network from a company whose initials are "P.P.P." )
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Thanks for your support!
    Writer Guy,

Thanks for your support!

Kris,

Best of luck on the new venture! I look forward to learning more about the transparency mentioned on your site.

The first thought that comes to mind is that as a super affiliate turned network, how would I as an affiliate be assured my hard work (keywords for one) are not later used within your other ventures. (no offense intended, but it will be asked sooner or later)

Best of luck! :-)

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    The first thought that comes to mind is that as a super affiliate turned network, how would I as an affiliate be assured my hard work (keywords for one) are not later used within your other ventures. (no offense intended, but it will be asked sooner or later)

The question - anxiously awaiting the answer.

Also, I would be interested in seeing a full list of merchants posted here, and will link-type info be available before applying to a merchant, that is, will it be stated whether or not a merchant has individual product links, without having to be a member to find out?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    Kris,

Best of luck on the new venture! I look forward to learning more about the transparency mentioned on your site.

From what I read on some blogs, that seems to be a concern. I can understand merchants wanting transparency but also affiliates not wanting to give up too much to a merchant or a competing publisher. And what Adam V. brought up, under Services - Affiliate Marketing - Affiliate Tracking Software, that link goes back to home page.

Its hard to believe that such a cool company could come from Wilkes-Barre! I only wish I could afford to do business with you guys.....best of luck on your new venture.
    PS: Ever see Steve Carell from The Office wondering the streets?

Affiliate Network Rep
    Let's Find A Way
    Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    Its hard to believe that such a cool company could come from Wilkes-Barre! I only wish I could afford to do business with you guys.....best of luck on your new venture.
    PS: Ever see Steve Carell from The Office wondering the streets?
    There should be a way we can work together. We will figure it out! Send me a private message with your contact info and I will be in touch.

No Steve sightings yet, but it is really cool to watch the show and see things that they have taken from our area and incorporated into the show! We do have an "Office Convention" in which some of the cast members come to Scranton and party all night. That is a good time.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    The question - anxiously awaiting the answer.

Also, I would be interested in seeing a full list of merchants posted here, and will link-type info be available before applying to a merchant, that is, will it be stated whether or not a merchant has individual product links, without having to be a member to find out?
    That is a great suggestion. Something that we plan on doing as soon as the hype around the launch dies down a bit and we can devote time to it.

Ugh.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    What is the networks postion on the allowing Ebates and others like them to join?

What controls if any are in place ?
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Affiliate Network Rep
    mrbshouse,

Thanks for your question. This is Kris Jones.

Just to give you some quick background first.

Pepperjam is a relatively large operation with north of 100 employees. We occupy the third floor of a technology building in Northeastern, PA. The majority of our company (95%) focuses on marketing services, including management and consulting in the areas of pay-per-click, search-engine optimization, affiliate program management, and online media buying and planning. Marketing services is that 95% beef of the company. Therefore, we are not a Super Affiliate turned Network - we are a marketing services company turned Network. The clients you see on our corporate Web site - www.pepperjam.com/client-list.php - work with us exclusively through our marketing services divisions mentioned above.

My reputation in the affiliate marketing industry, especially to those individuals that don't know about the size and structure of Pepperjam, is that I am a kick aXX Super Affiliate. The truth is that I used to personally be a Super Affiliate, but in 2002 I took my Super Affiliate business, hired a small staff, and trained them how to do affiliate marketing. I also went on a bit of a crusade that continues to this day by sharing what I know about affiliate marketing with thousands of affiliate marketers at various conferences such as Affiliate Summit, Search-Engine Strategies, eComXpo, a4uexpo, and others. I've been told by numerous affiliates that very few people in our industry have been as open and honest as I have about who I am and how what I've learned can make them a lot of money. By the way, Pepperjam Network is an extension of this crusade - we provide more tools and resources (all for free) than any other network by a great margin.

A small division of Pepperjam runs a comparison shopping engine called Shogging.com - we monetize Shogging through a number of different strategies, including affiliate marketing search arbitrage, contextual advertising, and direct CPC / insertion placements. The Shogging division also runs several other smaller content properties that either focus on coupons, product feeds, or niche content. All in all, this division accounts for less than 5% (and getting smaller, as we get larger) of the revenue of Pepperjam.

The last and most important thing that I want you and all of our other friends on ABW to know about Pepperjam is that we are absolutely committed to protecting our client / advertiser / publisher data very closely. It is not, has never, and will never be used in any way to jeopardize the confidentiality or interests of our clients / advertisers / publishers. We even take it a step further by having a dedicated team of affiliate marketing professionals that handle Pepperjam Network - none of these individuals are authorized to do affiliate marketing on behalf of Pepperjam (i.e. Shogging, etc.) and none of these individuals are authorized to do affiliate marketing on their own. To the best of my knowledge, our policy is as strict or more strict than any other small or large traditional or CPA network that I am aware of.

Our privacy / non-competition policies are strict and they are gonna stay that way.

Rest assured, our success is only as guaranteed as the trust and respect of the community in which we work. That's one of the primary reasons why we launched a forum on ABW. I am, and Pepperjam is, absolutely committed to being a transparent company and Network that sets a high bar for other similar companies to follow.

As you can tell from my above comments and by asking people who know me or who have visited Pepperjam, Pepperjam is a very successful company because we respect the marketplace we work in. Pepperjam Network is an extension of our committment to making affiliate marketing a more even playing field where average affiliates can become Super Affiliates and Super Affiliates can make even more money.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    What is the networks postion on the allowing Ebates and others like them to join?
    Kris, in keeping with your statement "I've been told by numerous affiliates that very few people in our industry have been as open and honest"

Why are you not addressing this question?
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    The Shogging division also runs several other smaller content properties that either focus on coupons, product feeds, or niche content. All in all, this division accounts for less than 5% (and getting smaller, as we get larger) of the revenue of Pepperjam
    Any way you spin it, you're a network... AND an affiliate, hence a competiter

That conflict of interest is inherintly wrong.

You need to decide if you are a network (our partner) or an affiliate (our competitor) - and if the "small 5%" earnings your affiliate sites generate are worth more than earnings affiliates can send you (who won't join the network).

Trust is a BIG part of a business partnership. Actually, it's probably the BIGGEST part. As long as you continue to be a competitor of your affiliates, you're limited to how much trust you can earn.

But you're obviously a smart savy guy - and you already know all this. We'll all be watching to see which direction you go.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperjam
    The clients you see on our corporate Web site - www.pepperjam.com/client-list.php - work with us exclusively through our marketing services divisions mentioned above.
    I see Upromise listed there... What kind of services do you provide for them, if you don't mind me asking?

Affiliate Network Rep
    RE: BillyKay
    BillyKay,

I absolutely disagree with your feeling. However, I also respect you and if you are not interested in Pepperjam Network or Pepperjam as a company, that is fine - I wish you the best of luck regardless!

However, I do suggest you take the time to learn more about who Pepperjam is.

The biggest benefit of Pepperjam Network is the fact that Pepperjam built the Network with the help of hundreds of affiliates and advertisers. Moreover, we also understand very well both sides of affiliate marketing.

The other major networks such as Commission Junction and Linkshare recently acquired affiliates. Linkshare purchased my friends from over at Traffic Strategies and Commission Junction purchased our friends over at Mezi Media (Coupon Mountain and other affiliate properties). All of the major CPA Networks are Super Affiliates. I expect this trend (major affiliate networks acquiring affiliate marketing companies) to continue. By the way - I see other affiliates and always have as friends first, not competitiors.

Honestly, it's OK to trust others. You don't have too, but it is OK.

Pepperjam is not an affiliate that launched an affiliate network. We are an accomplished marketing services company that launched an affiliate network. The launch was a logical extension of our ability to provide our clients with access to the latest technology and resources. Also, it is something that we were encouraged to do from hundreds of supporters.

Anyway - let me stress again, we respect and value your opinion.

The great thing about affiliate networks is that you don't have to join if you don't want!

We think Pepperjam Network is an excellent option for an affiliate that wants the latest technology, including better communication tools, a Web 2.0 interface, more options for running advertisements (i.e., pepperjamADS), and an absolute commitment to full and unfettered affiliate transparency.

If there is another affiliate network out there that is as committed to providing similar technology, while also being an open, honest, and transparent network like Pepperjam Network, I'd like to know who that network is.

Kris,

You're still spinning. C'mon, treat us with a modicum of respect.

You come here and say you'll be better then the other networks. I point out you're also an affilaite. Your reply is Linkshare and CJ do it. So are you better then them, or just the same.

Then you state you built this network based on the suggestions of HUNDREDS of affiliates and merchants. So HUNDREDS of affiliates and merchants think it's ok for you to also be an affiliate?

Do you NAME these affiliates and merchants that suggested this anywhere on your site? I'd like to talk to them.

Kris,

as long as you're still here... I joined yesterday to see what you offer. Are you just a CPA Network, a real network, etc.

Someone already mentioned you need to state what kinds of links merchants offer. The reply was "good idea, but we'll wait till the hoopla dies down to do anything" (aargh)

There needs to be a HELP button. There's a Transparency Rating in upper right corner. Nothing tells you what the hec it is.

The reverse white on black motif is hard on the eyes for anyone over age 24.

Attached is a screen shot. I was on that page for over an hour before I found out (read source code) there's a search box under "Search by Keyword"

There's no "Next Page" button (or like the search box, it's hidden in black). Again, an hour on this page, and these are the only merchants I know about

Support: Seems no better than the other Networks - nonexistent. I used the "Contact Us" link yesterday and asked "Where the hec is the Next Page Button". Guess what? Never got a response.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Affiliate Network Rep
    RE: BillyKay
    BillyKay,

Let me be clear - if you or other ABW'ers do not want to join Pepperjam Network that is fine.

Our goal with the Pepperjam Network Board on ABW is not to try to change your opinion.

Being hostile or disrespectful to members of the Pepperjam Team will not be tolerated and is not welcome on the PJN board.

With the above said, we do have a great deal of respect for you and other members of ABW and that is why we are here!

Unfortunately, this will likely be my last post on ABW to these types of responses.

Robyn and others will be here to actively moderate this board and provide answers to questions. Most importantly, this board will be dedicated to providing affiliates and advertisers that are interested with a place to learn about new and existing Pepperjam Network programs, Network enhancements, and to answer questions about how to make more money with Pepperjam Network.

By the way, there are affiliates on ABW that have joined PJN and are providing us with excellent feedback.

To those people - we are interested in your feedback about Pepperjam Network.

BillyKay - I do wish you and others the best of luck!

Thanks for your time.

I'm sorry my response here or in my previous post wasn't what you wanted to hear, but what I said is clear and final.

Best of luck to you all!!!

mrbshouse wrote: "The first thought that comes to mind is that as a super affiliate turned network, how would I as an affiliate be assured my hard work (keywords for one) are not later used within your other ventures."

petswarehouse asked about PJN's position on allowing incentive sites to join.

ghoti noticed UPromise listed on PepperJam's client list, and asked "What kind of services do you provide for them?"

RobynM and pepperjam posted long responses which did not actually answer either question. RobynM's post responded to and "danced around" the first question, but I searched in vain to find a promise of any kind. Pepperjam added that other affiliate networks also own "affiliate" sites.

They've ignored the other questions.

Billy Kay insightfully replied: "You're still spinning."

Personally, I'm not sure the issue of "affiliate-turned-OPM-turned-network" is really all that significant. I always assume that my merchants are using any data that flows to them, and I also assume that every network is milking the data, too.

Of course, I'm still peeved about PepperJam's failure to remove me from its spam lists last summer until I posted about it here (http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...highlight=spam). Since there's no possibility I will work with PepperJam, I'm just enjoying the show today.

ABW Ambassador
    Excellent points BiilyKay. I hate sites that have dark backgrounds and white texts. Its too stressful for my eyes (and my vision is 20/20). If I am shopping and I stumble upon such a site, I exit before making an effort to find anything.

I haven't joined Pepperjam yet. It does sound promising from what its promoters are saying about it. At least they understand some of the inherent issues with the other networks. It will take time to be the next generation aff network. It will be foolhardy to launch a network and start claiming that its better than the rest.

BillyKay,

I absolutely disagree with your feeling. However, I also respect you and if you are not interested in Pepperjam Network or Pepperjam as a company, that is fine - I wish you the best of luck regardless!
    Many of us are very interested in the questions Posted by Billy and others here. A response of "if you don't like it, don't join" is evasive and pretty much a non-response.

However, I do suggest you take the time to learn more about who Pepperjam is.
    I'd like to take the time to learn about pepperjam, however if you insist on answering direct questions with responses like those that have already been posted it's really difficult to get a feel for who you are. If you're trying to gain our trust then evading our questions isn't the way to do it.

I appreciate the fact that a lot of dollars probably went in to your PR efforts, however, let's get beyond that and get to the real meat. We have concerns about every network and a new network that emerges isn't going to escape our skepticism just because you say that you're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Our goal with the Pepperjam Network Board on ABW is not to try to change your opinion.
    It's very difficult to form any opinion without all of the information. I wholeheartedly agree that we need some better alternatives in this industry. Show us that you could potentially be one of those alternatives by exhibiting the transparency that you talk about.

Please answer the questions put forth in order to help us make an informed decision. We may not like all of the answers, but at least provide the information requested so that we can evaluate Pepperjam on our own terms.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Kris,

Don't run away!!!! There were no mean or disrepetful posts.

If you just want to tout your program - use an advertisement. It will give the one-sided view you're looking for.

This is ABW. A forum for the open discussion of views. Some of which you'll disagree with. Some of which you'll hate. Some you'll love.

You state Robyn and others will moderate and answer our questions and concers. I hope that starts soon.

ABW Ambassador
    Unfortunately, this will likely be my last post on ABW to these types of responses.
    Sounds like you are angry and are leaving prematurely because the questions got tougher and not to your liking. You did come to this public forum with a great promise of transparency though. We are sorry that we won't hear from you any more in this forum.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, have some questions, some go to transparency. Was reading around, another forum which seemed to inspire the colors.

Besides questions already asked.

And a few people brought up something I noticed, I guess not a big deal but your banner. Why no guys? Who's the target audience? Someone posted they thought it was an adult site at first glance, another a buy a bride merchant paid for some ad space. And to be honest with you, you won't see that with the other networks, because it is what it is, eye candy for guys so not the most professional banner.

Then someone posted:
    "Their affiliate agreement says no trademark bidding and no direct linking."

Is that true? If so, it goes back to competing businesses. Because if that's true then I picked one at random and:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...230&q=rocawear

PepperJam TM bids, the pntrac.com one. And that's because you were the OPM, running a lot of the merchant's programs, marketing etc. for those merchants correct?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast