Does anyone feel my pain with this?
    Ok, so I have been trying to get some things to work with promoting products/services/my own products and so on and each time I think I am on to something it just dies out either making just a small amount of money or breaking even or a small loss.

It is very tough sometimes and makes me just want to say forget it.

Does anyone else feel this way at all?

Any thoughts would be great on this.

Thanks,
    Matt

Matt I think we all go through that from time to time. Remember what our parents used to say, "It's not a failure, it's a learning experience". That statement is sooo true when applied to this business. If you read some of the posts by some of the veterans here, you'll see that they constantly try different services and products and ways to promote them. Some work, most probably don't. But with each trial they gain more knowledge to be applied to their next campaign.

Take the knowledge that you've learned and discard the tactics that failed and tweak the ones that worked, even if they were just moderately successful. Keep reading here and add the knowledge of the veterans to the experience that you've gained.

Unless you get extremely lucky, nothing will happen overnight. But if you continue to learn and try different strategies you'll eventually be able to build a sustainable business model and income.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    It sounds like you are using PPC advertising. Perhaps you could focus more on organic methods to reduce costs?

It's funny... just last night I was telling friends that this business sometimes seems to be 5% inspiration, 5% perspiration, and 90% luck. A lot of it is very much based on trial and error. You spend a lot of time trying different things and either failing and discarding that work or succeeding and building on it. Once you "get lucky" and are on to something that works, tweak it, repeat it, and work it til you can't work it anymore. As you learn more and more, you'll learn what works most of the time and what doesn't, and you'll need less and less luck to make things happen. But the occasional failure can happen to even the best of affiliate marketers.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    5% inspiration, 5% perspiration, and 90% luck.
    My % breakdown:

70% persistence/hard work
    10% intelligence/marketing savvy
    20% luck/non-correlative ideal timing

Just remember that every bad experience is a learning experience! My best ideas have come on the heels of defeat....

I will share the best advice I was ever given: it was a "light switch" analogy.. turn on every switch you can - every idea, every thought, try to make them all a reality. You may be surprised at which one turns out to be the winner..

Just keep some of those switches on while you work on new ideas.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    I love Thomas Edison's quote...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

Affiliate Marketing sure looks like work sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by mweidner2782
    Ok, so I have been trying to get some things to work with promoting products/services/my own products and so on and each time I think I am on to something it just dies out either making just a small amount of money or breaking even or a small loss.
    If your breaking even then you should be making money. What stage is your product/service life cycle in?

What stage is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick - SiteSell
    I love Thomas Edison's quote...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    haha, that is a good one!!!

I was recently reading Time's article on Putin - when they asked him if he ever feels lucky, he responded:
    "Luck is for Fools - We work night and day". So, just do your thing, eventially you will get more savvy, and your efforts will be rewarded by so much more than just breaking even.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread