Stolen Commissions?
    I've just started affiliate marketing, just sending people straight to the product through adwords without a website, which has worked pretty well, and I've pretty much figured out what the conversion rate is, but lately I've noticed I havent had any sales for a while now, so my question is, is it possible to have your commissions stolen even though im only sending people straight through adwords?

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Parasiteware doesn't care how you deliver your customer.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

It is possible. Is it a network tendency (something that happens across a number of affiliate programs) for you, or are you talking just one program?

Geno

Its just on clickbank. Is there any way I can find out if its happening, and how can i stop it? Any help is much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Nicx0r
    Its just on clickbank. Is there any way I can find out if its happening, and how can i stop it?
    ClickBank staff would be the only people that could help you find an answer. For a change, I would try a couple merchants from a different networks, or running indies, and see how they perform.

Geno

I assume you're checking the order forms every so often to make sure your affiliate link is on them?

Rick

Do you already cloak your clickbank ID?
    If not it is almost an invitation to commission thieves.

I use a couple of different cloaks... two I like best are Link Brander and Url Freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Parasiteware doesn't care how you deliver your customer.
    Can you please explain this?
    I have been selling a Clickbank product for around a month now, and the first 7 days, I made 5 sales. The only way I was getting traffic was through a PPC add that went directly to my hoplink (the hoplink was the destination url, not the url displayed in the ad). CTR was running around 1.15% consistently, but after the first week, no more sales.
    I am aware that the userid in the hoplink could be changed by a buyer to "steal" the commission, if they were a clickbank user. But this product is a tv download service, not something targeted toward someone who'd be promoting clickbank products.
    So is "parasiteware" something that someone could use to hijack my ads or something? If so, I gotta find a better way!

Thanks!
    Greg

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    See the link in my signature line below, it explains how adware can be used to steal your sales. That's one possible thing that could be causing or contributing to your problem. ClickB is notorious for lacking any policing for this kind of activity. But don't assume adware is the answer here, adware can't steal all of your sales (all computers would have to have adware on them to do so). So do try other networks (like ShareASale and Avantlink) where they don't allow adware activity, do contact the merchant to discuss testing their tracking and also consider doing a test order.

Good luck!

Thanks, Donuts! That is a LOT of info to try to get my head around, but it'll sink in! I will be trying some of the other networks for my download site. Here I thought when I started trying to make money online that it would be easy....

Ah another noob like me
    Greg... aint nothin easy here...its just a whole different set of skills and knowledge... a bit like learning a new language I think.

I lost a lot of money before i learned to cloak mostly everything.
    i do like url freeze better than track that ad because tta diverts attention with the redirect page.

good luck

Thanks greenehawk!
    It seems like the more I think I'm learning, the more I realize how much I don't know! I will check into url freeze and see what that's about. First I gotta figure out why none of my ads are running on AdWords. I paused the campaign a week or so ago when the sales quit coming and I was burning through my budget by 8am everyday. I made some tweaks to adds and changed the landing page, and restarted the campaign about 48 hours ago. The campaign is active, but I am not getting any impressions. By not getting any, I mean ZERO! Not sure what's up with that....
    Greg

Is There a Difference Between Masking and Cloaking?
    Hi,

I have domains registered with GoDaddy and with the redirect engage the mask function. How effective is this against hoplink hijacking on ClickBank?

Thanks.

Paul

clickbank hijacks?
    That is a great question about godaddy masking and redirects.

I do not have any real idea if it stops hijackers.

I imagine anything that makes it a tad harder makes it easier for them to move on to a better and easier site to hijack.

But that is based on street thinking not net thinking.

If the car is locked. Keep walking the next one might be open.

Steal the UNLOCKED car first.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Again, I'm not saying your problem is adware or bho thieves here, there are many things that can cause a loss of sales being completed and reported.

But regarding stolen affiliate commissions by adware and/or BHOs, masking and redirecting don't do diddly to stop the thieves, the merchant / network must identify cheating affiliates and remove them.

You can research afsrc=1 using the search feature here at ABW, it can help in a very limited way, but isn't a panacea.

Do a test order if you can OR share with friends and see if their orders have dried up OR keep investigating other angles and posting here about it...

cloaking
    Thanks for a more experienced view. And good tip on tools at this site that I did not know about.

i have the same problem
    Glad you brought this up because I was promoting gov-resources through clickbank and was seeing decent conversions but then all the sudden nothing at all for around 7 days.

I paused the campaigns now and am trying to figure out why this would happen.

I go through the links and can see my id is at the bottom of the payment page but not sure if there is more to.

I guess that is what I am asking is what else is there to it besides that or is there any other way to track/test?

Thanks everyone and good luck!

Matt

ABW Ambassador
    You may want to watch this video of clickbank affiliates using the Zango
    adware to steal sales:

http://www.keywordthinktank.com/publ...nk_adware.html

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread