HONO description not formatted?
    Looks like I picked a bad time to be giving my c3scripts sites some work. That's totally ok, but I still want to post my new problems here as they come up.

<DIV CLASS="desc"><!--item.desc--></DIV>
    I'm not getting line breaks, bold type etc. displayed on my House of Nutrition item detail pages.

Do you mean the
    picture | title
    -------| sku
    -------| retail
    -------| price
    -------| buy
    description
    aren't being separated, or that there isn't formatting in the description paragraph itself?

Quote Originally Posted by promosoft
    Do you mean the
    picture | title
    -------| sku
    -------| retail
    -------| price
    -------| buy
    description
    aren't being separated, or that there isn't formatting in the description paragraph itself?

The formatting in the description.

is like this.

You Save 50%Description All Natural7-Keto is naturally occurring metabolite derived from DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone). It can be found in many of our body tissues but cannot be converted to active androgens (testosterone) and estrogens. It is more potent than DHEA. As part of an exercise program, 7-Keto Fuel may improve lean body mass by reducing cartisol (a stress hormone that is immune suppressive and catabolic) and increasing testosterone-to-cartisol ratios enabling the body to build muscle in a growth promoting environment. 7-Keto also enhances thermogenesis.Each serving of 1 capsule provides:Ingredient Amount US RDA7-Keto (3-Acetyl-7-Oxo-Dehydroepiandrosterone) 50 mgOther ingredients: Gelatin, Purified Water, Cellulose, Potato Starch, Magnesium Stearate, MCT.Directions As a dietary supplement take 1 capsule daily.Disclaimer Statements contained herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat and cure or prevent disease. Always consult with your professional health care provider before changing any medication.
    All one line and no list or bold or anything.

Look in the items.html file; you want to look at the table which appears in the middle of the page. If you use a WYSIWYG editor it should display the placeholders in the table.

DySE displays the file exactly as it is laid-out in the items.html file. Chances are the form is missing the formatting. In the original DySE merchant files, you will see the sample templates, if you need to refer to the original templates to re-customize the templates.

Quote Originally Posted by promosoft
    Look in the items.html file; you want to look at the table which appears in the middle of the page. If you use a WYSIWYG editor it should display the placeholders in the table.

DySE displays the file exactly as it is laid-out in the items.html file. Chances are the form is missing the formatting. In the original DySE merchant files, you will see the sample templates, if you need to refer to the original templates to re-customize the templates.
    Thanks, I'll check that out... Nope don't believe that is it.

Let me illustrate a little better.

Here are pages showing the text missing the formatting. (not my sites, I searched to see if it affected others)
    Example 1

Example 2

And this is how it displays at House of nutritions site where the html is rendered properly.
    http://www.houseofnutrition.com/763948011513.html

Investigating a little further I found the product html at CJ and it looks the same. The html just isn't there in the description. I wonder if they are aware of that?

Ok...

That's entirely different...

Most Data Feeds don't provide the feeds as 100% formatted as the site itself may include.

There are a number of reasons why:

If you are using the data feeds as a plain text format such as in a RSS feed reader, it may be rendered improperly. A good example, Yahoo!'s News RSS feeds display as a full article snipplet with the picture. Even the TEXT entry of the description is in HTML format. If you (since this is a programming forum), were to put the Yahoo! News RSS feed address into Microsoft Visual Studio's Screen Saver demonstration program, the program will display the HTML code, instead of the ARTICLE in plain text.

Another is security, think of how a CGI program has to (to be secure) strip out rogue HTML code, to prevent a hacker from entering malicious data into the form and exploiting the server. With the data feed not containing formatting, it is helping to prevent HTML code errors, and other possible glitches. -- I just got back from a seminar with 8 hours of security lectures from Microsoft, and this was one of the key parts, stripping data to prevent exploits.

Those are two reasons that I can come up with off of the top of my head.

Some merchants, including HONO, provide only a stripped down plain text version of their product descriptions. For example:

<UL><LI>Door</LI><LI>Bell</LI></UL>

with all the HTML tags removed (replaced with space) becomes:

Door Bell

Unfortunately some merchants simply remove the HTML tag (i.e.: replace it with nothing) rather than replacing it with a space thus causing things like:

DoorBell

which is clearly different than "Door Bell".

I will add some logic to the next DySE::Hono so it guesses paragraph headings (e.g.: "Ingredients:") and adds paragraph breaks before them. That improvement should make the description a bit more presentable.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread