Meta Tags
    I have a dynamically generated site using Joomla. I read that Google ignores Meta Tags. Is this true?

no

Depends on the meta tag. Keywords is largely ignored while Description is not, for example.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    Depends on the meta tag. Keywords is largely ignored while Description is not, for example.
    From my experience that sounds about right. The description meta tag is used in the search results. If it is not there, G will "choose" some early narrative from your page. It's better if you choose the description.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

hmm, thats interesting...

Yep, that's exactly how I understand it, Beachy. I can't say for sure how much the Description affects the rankings, but as it's used on the SERPs directly, it's pretty darned important.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

The Description meta tag will not affect your rankings, but it is a good marketing tool. When the search engines use it, it is your opportunity to convince someone to click on your link versus one of the other nine found on a search results page.

The Keywords meta tag and most other meta tags are not used by the major search engines.

Here is an article about Useful Meta Tags.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

I totally agree on the meta description. It is a total must have. I am not sure how it affects your rankings but I made the mistake once of forgetting to place it on one of my pages, so instead G grabbed my copyright info for the description which did not look too pretty when looking at my links in the search engine.

Whenever I have no description meta tag I end up with my navigation listed for every page indexed on my sites.

The description tag is very important.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    I'm pretty confused with "follow" or "no follow", "index" or "no index" tags.

For right now, I keep my sites meta tags set as default "index, follow". Not sure if I should do something with it.

If somebody could nicely expain it.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    I'm pretty confused with "follow" or "no follow", "index" or "no index" tags.

For right now, I keep my sites meta tags set as default "index, follow". Not sure if I should do something with it.

If somebody could nicely expain it.
    Tech Evangelist have a good explanation here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    Here is an article about Useful Meta Tags.
    Check it out!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Tech Evangelist have a good explanation here:

Check it out!
    I did read their explanation. I think what confused me is "If you do not want a spider to index the page, include the "noindex" value in the content attribute. If a section of a Web site needs to be protected from spiders, use the "noindex,nofollow" values on each page in the protected section."

I don't see why would I "do not want a spider to index a page" or " protect a web site from spiders". Don't we all want our pages be crawled by "spiders" and "indexed"?

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    I did read their explanation. I think what confused me is "If you do not want a spider to index the page, include the "noindex" value in the content attribute. If a section of a Web site needs to be protected from spiders, use the "noindex,nofollow" values on each page in the protected section."

I don't see why would I "do not want a spider to index a page" or " protect a web site from spiders". Don't we all want our pages be crawled by "spiders" and "indexed"?
    No, sometimes we have some pages that we don't want indexed or crawled by the spiders.

I will give you an example:
    You may not want the spiders to index your test pages or test directories.
    You may not want the spiders to index some of your scripts pages.
    You don't want the spiders to index {something else} ;-)

The only pages you want the spiders to index, should be the pages that may make you money, not the other ones.

:-)

The only pages you want the spiders to index, should be the pages that may make you money, not the other ones.

That's good to keep in mind
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador

I will give you an example:
    You may not want the spiders to index your test pages or test directories.
    Make a lot sense.

You may not want the spiders to index some of your scripts pages.
    Make sense.

You don't want the spiders to index {something else} ;-)
    I'm not going to squeeze the "something else" out of your mouth, Mr. Sal. I'm sure a lot of other smarter ones know what you mean. Sometimes I feel a lot safer to simply keep my sites as naive as they are . I only learn a very minimum of techniques/skills that my small brain can handle to keep my sites going.

Where is my little note book?

Thanks, Mr. Sal.

To help clarify things, the robots index,follow meta tag is already the default value for all web pages, so it doesn't need to be added. It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help either.

The idea with using the robots noindex,follow tag is to focus the spiders on the pages that really matter, by eliminating those that do not. I always use a noindex,follow tag on unimportant pages that lack content or are not focused on products and services, such as a Contact Us page, login page and privacy policy page (especially if you duplicate a policy page on several sites). These pages would normally get penalized for lack of content or duplicate content.

You also want to block spiders from indexing any sensitive web pages or confidential areas of the site that you do not want the public to see, such as the adminstration pages or hidden pages. Usually the administration pages are protected by a login, but I have seen cases where spiders have gotten past a login due to a bug in the login script. If you do not want the world to see a web page, don't let the spiders index it.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    It would be nice if there was a tool that grabbed the title and description tags from all your pages and gave you a report when they are similar or the same. Anything like that exist?

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    It would be nice if there was a tool that grabbed the title and description tags from all your pages and gave you a report when they are similar or the same. Anything like that exist?
    Yes!

But, if you have the time, and want to experiment a little with how your pages title and description tags might look to a SE, just get the free Fluid Dynamics Search Engine, and play with it.

The first time I try it in one of my sites years ago, I discovered a few mistakes, like: showing the navigation titles, or the same wrong page description (taken from the body of the page) for many pages, if I didn't had a good description on the: <meta name="description" content="What this page is all about, etc...">

You can also search on the net for other "online tools" that may give you some similar test results.

You can find it here http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread