Google - do they allow more than one merchant url PPC ad displayed?
    I recently read the book affiliate millions where he mainly advertised with a link directly to merchants.

I thought I heard somewhere recently that Google has made changes in their rules (I think Rosalind G's newer book)...

Something to the effect that they won't allow two PPC ads to be displayed containing the same merchant URLs.

Example:

Free Cell Phones
    get yours now
    Letstalk.com

Best Cell phones
    get one today
    Letstalk.com

However they would allow either one of those ads if it were not to lets talk but to your own url.

Anyone know where to find info on this subject at Google or elsewhere?

Thanks

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Yep, you understand it correctly.

Policy is here:
    http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...y?answer=14844

More good stuff for affs here:
    http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...y?answer=45068

Quote Originally Posted by GoColts
    I thought I heard somewhere recently that Google has made changes in their rules (I think Rosalind G's newer book)...
    FYI, this rule has been in place for well over a year. The search marketing landscape changes so quickly that you can't just rely on books if you want to stay on top of things.

In addition to what Donuts posted, you should also read this:
    http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...&subtopic=9280

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Yep, they see it as double dipping, and actually I think their policy creates added value to shoppers. But I am impressed to hear that you are reading. Good job GC.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Note that this policy "combines" with another policy against "Affiliate Bridge" pages, which prohibit the use of landing pages that merely push traffic to another site. The use of these "affiliate bridge" pages is viewed as another attempt to double-dip by having the same merchant "represented" multiple times in the same paid search listings. Therefore, you must do "something more" than merely create a "landing page" on your site for that merchant.

While the display-URL policy is enforced automatically, the "Affiliate Bridge" rule stil appears to be manually enforced, and your ads could be disapproved during the initial review, or at any later time if a Google staffer decides that your pages are really just "affiliate bridge" pages (possibly in response a complaint from your competitor).

A good strategy to avoid having your pages designated as "Affiliate Bridge" pages is to offer genuine independent content, or provide information on more than one merchant's products. However, I expect that Google will "tighten up" on this as affiliates grow more sophisticated in their use of "bridge" pages to circumvent the display-URL rule.

http and a telephoto
    Landing pages are now bridge pages? That is something I did not know. Will have to look at that, since I am working with a new program that will create landing pages for affiliates to use.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Landing pages are now bridge pages? That is something I did not know. Will have to look at that, since I am working with a new program that will create landing pages for affiliates to use.
    Not all landing pages are considered bridge pages...only the ones that provide no additional value are. Google says (at the link I posted above):
    we monitor and don't allow the following:

* Redirect URLs: Ads that contain URLs that automatically redirect to the parent company.
    * Bridge Pages: Ads for web pages that act as an intermediary, whose sole purpose is to link or redirect traffic to the parent company.
    * Framing: Ads for web pages that replicate the look and feel of a parent site. Your site should not mirror (be similar or nearly identical in appearance to) your parent company's or any other advertiser's site.
    But sometimes Google is all talk and no action. They don't put much of an effort into enforcing these policies, and I've seen some ads that violate these rules run for several weeks after they've been reported.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Note that this policy "combines" with another policy against "Affiliate Bridge" pages, which prohibit the use of landing pages that merely push traffic to another site. The use of these "affiliate bridge" pages is viewed as another attempt to double-dip by having the same merchant "represented" multiple times in the same paid search listings. Therefore, you must do "something more" than merely create a "landing page" on your site for that merchant.

While the display-URL policy is enforced automatically, the "Affiliate Bridge" rule stil appears to be manually enforced, and your ads could be disapproved during the initial review, or at any later time if a Google staffer decides that your pages are really just "affiliate bridge" pages (possibly in response a complaint from your competitor).

A good strategy to avoid having your pages designated as "Affiliate Bridge" pages is to offer genuine independent content, or provide information on more than one merchant's products. However, I expect that Google will "tighten up" on this as affiliates grow more sophisticated in their use of "bridge" pages to circumvent the display-URL rule.
    Thank you for the info Mark. I totally understand their added value concept - especially if they are exclusive duplicate landing pages created by one merchant (i.e. click bank products and such).

Seems though they don't value the revenue they earn from affiliates buying PPC if they are expected to "tighten up" to the point of suffocating us from being effective in what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Yep, you understand it correctly.

Policy is here:
    http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...y?answer=14844

More good stuff for affs here:
    http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...y?answer=45068
    Thank you very much Donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    A few words of advice: Don't ask Google, as I did, moron that I am, if this or that page is considered a "bridge page". I swear they started double or triple checking everything I did after that.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread