Cool Running/Climbing up & down stairs works
    I hate dieting

Sometimes I can be enthusiastic about exercise but other times I'm lackluster

I have a curvy figure that looks great when my bod is tight, but if I gain weight

I live "high in the sky" and the elevator was broken from September 26th until around New Years.

I had no choice -- I had to climb up & down stairs every day.

The broken elevator impacted my diet because I live alone and it is difficult for me to carry groceries to my place -- I only bought necessities and I concentrated on vegetables, fruit, -- I eat a lot of pasta.

I totally cut out soda and I cut out a lot of the "junk foods" I like to eat because carrying groceries up to my place is a pain in the neck
    Carrying liquids to my place was difficult for me so I began to only drink water.

Well, I saw some relatives I only get to see around Christmas and everyone was saying how great I look and what a blessing the broken elevator was
    People asked me, "Do you still go to the gym?" And I would say yes, the stairs of my building are the pre-workout and then I'd go on the elliptical machine or the treadmill (usually) at the gym.

Not only did I tighten up but I've always suffered from acne (even with medication).
    Now my routine has been different because lately I only drink water at home and I drink lots & lots of it (it put tap water in containers and put them in the refrigerator so I always have cold water) -- as opposed to the cola I used to swill down along with the other sweetened drinks.
    My complexion now looks radiant
    [I hope I can maintain this]

Yesterday I had an early dinner with Dr. Cool and his girlfriend at FRANK: 88 Second Avenue between 5th & 6th Street (in the Village, NYC)
    Whether you are a native New Yorker or a visitor, FRANK has the best Italian food (we like it better than Little Italy or anywhere else).
    I had a huge plate of lasagna (delicious!!!) then the waiter wanted to know if we wanted coffee and dessert. Everyone wanted coffee plus I said I wanted dessert but Dr. Cool stated, "C'mon you just had a huge plate of lasagna"
    I replied, "They have a fresh fruit plate -- that's medically approved"

Dr. Cool is sad that the elevator has been fixed
    I've been advised to continue climbing up & down the stairs.

My advice to anyone who lives in an apartment building is to go up and down the stairs in your building everyday and drink lots and lots of water, it can be tap water -- you will get results

I want to have legs like the girls in this video -- the video is my exercise motivation [I have the song memorized in my sub conscious and I think of it at the gym -- it's my all-time favorite song, I love David Bisbal]:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY6SXEohAV8

I had great legs in my early twenties -- I used to ice skate too [when Katarina Witt competed against Debi Thomas in the Olympics] but I haven't touched my skates in years.
    Last edited by Rhia7; January 18th, 2008 at 11:45 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I've been advised to continue climbing up & down the stairs.

My advice to anyone who lives in an apartment building is to go up and down the stairs in your building everyday and drink lots and lots of water, it can be tap water -- you will get results
    That's a very good advise!

But if you're carrying something, are too tire, or you just want to cheat, use the elevator to go up, but still use the stairs to go down. That way you will still get some benefits for your body.

Years ago when I used to live up North, I almost never used the elevators, and I was in very good shape, but since moving down here, and living on ground level, I don't get to see many stairs for regular use, so in those rare occasions that I get to go to some tall building, I no longer like to climb more than two floors of stairs, not because I don't want to, but because of the rusty legs. ;-)

If there are stairs in your building, it doesn't matter what floor you live on
    Go up & down the stairs for a free workout.

Try to workout somehow. Blood is like money: it only feels good if it circulates

You can enjoy looking at the female dancers in the David Bisbal video
    Last edited by Rhia7; January 19th, 2008 at 12:25 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

If there are stairs in your building, it doesn't matter what floor you live on
    Go up & down the stairs for a free workout.
    What building? :-)

I don't own no building!

When I said "living on ground level", I meant a house!

I bought a short nightgown from Frederick's of Hollywood that looks like the short dresses the "Quiero Dancers" are wearing

In the Frederick's of Hollywood catalog it's the "Satin Halter Chemise" for any of the girls who would like to copy the look [at least privately]

[That's part of the 2AM order that got me in trouble with my credit card -- but everything got straightened out as I claimed the charge was actually mine]
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

You can enjoy looking at the female dancers in the David Bisbal video

I bought a short nightgown from Frederick's of Hollywood that looks like the short dresses the "Quiero Dancers" are wearing
    Sorry, but that video would not do anything for me, I rather do exercise to the "Let's get physical" video from Olivia.

Olivia Newton John - Physical

Even by just listening to the "Let's get physical" song, it brings back good memories of those years, so it's not just because of the video. ;-)

Keep up the great work, and here is a present for you. More killer aerobic music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asIKRO_iZOE

I listen to this at the gym when I am on treadmill. And I am sure I look like I am dancing. And I don't care. When I have good workout music like this I could do aerobics for 2 hours and wouldn't care.

Again - keep up the great work.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Sorry, but that video would not do anything for me, I rather do exercise to the "Let's get physical" video from Olivia.

Olivia Newton John - Physical
    Great song & video! Very motivational
    I love Olivia Newton John's voice
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Keep up the great work, and here is a present for you. More killer aerobic music.

I listen to this at the gym when I am on treadmill. And I am sure I look like I am dancing. And I don't care. When I have good workout music like this I could do aerobics for 2 hours and wouldn't care.

Again - keep up the great work.
    YAY!!! Ricky Martin

Great motivational music!

Thanks for the encouragement
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Ok Patrick,

I agree that, that song:

1, 2, 3, un pasito pá lante María,
    1, 2, 3, un pasito pá tras!

May be a killer aerobic music, but I can't see how can you be on a treadmill listening to that song, and be able to control your legs and not trip out. You will need more room to move to that music. :-)

Whoops. I meant the stairmaster. I have my ipod set up for stairmaster songs, treadmill songs, and weightlifting songs!
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal

But if you're carrying something, are too tire, or you just want to cheat, use the elevator to go up, but still use the stairs to go down. That way you will still get some benefits for your body.
    Going down stairs puts extra stress on the knee joints. Be carefull of this.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

One thing I have found in my life is that 1 small change can have a huge impact on your health and mental well being. Example, instead of reaching for a coke when your thirsty, reach for a water instead. Watch what happens to your weight in the coming weeks, and pay attention to how good you feel as you lose a pound here and there.

1 small positive change made once a week that you are consistent with and take pride in will move mountains.

-BK

Good idea - to think about everything that crosses your lips !
    ---
    ---

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Feels good, huh Rhia? :-)

Stairs are a great form of exercise. I always take the stairs when I can.

I would absolutely suggest getting a water filter though. Tap water is pure poison. Ick - You wouldn't believe all the chemicals in regular tap water that are put there to "protect" us from God knows what. OMG - between chlorine and fluoride, it's truly deadly. Absolutely drink lots of water but make sure it's filtered.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager
    Good work, Rhia. Like my doctor reminds me, the key to losing weight is just to make sure calories in are less than calories expended. Watching what I eat by itself does almost nothing for me, but when I couple that with some bike riding and hiking up the hill behind my house I see results.

Stairs are great because almost everyone has access to at least one flight. I've also been doing the little things like walking to the store when I used to drive, not fighting for the closest parking spot which has me walking a little more -- all those little things add up. I've lost 20 lbs over the last few months doing this sort of thing.

Keep it up, Rhia.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Rexanne,

That is something I should look into a water filter

Ummm, I gained some weight back because back in late February a Timberland Shoe Salesman talked me into a hiking shoe size that was too small for my feet and one day I did a lot of walking in the shoes but the left shoe created the weirdest wound in my foot as if someone had shot a bullet into my left foot -- the damn wound lasted a long time too.

Whenever I tried to walk in the beginning my left sock would fill with blood -- so all through March I took it easy.
    This was difficult for me because I'm a walking exerciser -- I like to use my legs: treadmills, elliptical machines -- those are the type of machines you'll find me on.

The shoes were really brand new, I put them in their box and placed them in a "Big Brothers Big Sisters" donation charity bin near the shopping center.
    Someone who actually wears that size would be thrilled with the shoes.

I hope I've learned my lesson *laugh* -- never buy shoes way too small or too big. My size is usually a 5 1/2 or a 6.
    I was sold a size 5 Timberland and that size was too small. Size 6 1/2 always makes me trip.

The good thing about ordering shoes online is that no one will try to force the wrong size on you just for the commission. I want to look for hiking shoes since walking/hiking in the outdoors/parks is something I would like to do this summer.

My Alma Mater has excellent phys. ed. facilities including an Olympic sized swimming pool so I plan to inquire about how I could sign up and join their "pool program" -- I hear alumni get a 20% discount -- it would be nice for summer. Swimming doesn't put stress on the joints.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    So how many floors were you climbing up Rhia?

I used to live on the third and took the stairs sometimes for no reason.

On my days off I would climb up to 8 and back down a few times. People would ask me if the elevator was broke. They think you are insane. Weird.

It's a good workout. this will give you a healthy heart and maintain your blood pressure. However, if your in a hurry or carrying heavy things it's better to use the elevator.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread