Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Going to try not to make this a "my browser is better than your browser" thing, but, I wanted to share with you some of the benefits (in my opinion) of the Mozilla Browser and how using it allows me to be more productive doing affiliate marketing work.

First of all, a little about Mozilla. The Mozilla Browser is a highly standards compliant open source free implementation of a fully featured browser based on the Gecko engine. This is also the exact same engine that powers Netscape Navigator. [I think I got all that right. Thats my understanding of it]

Why do I prefer Mozilla to Netscape then? It seems (less) influenced by AOL. It seems slightly less bloated. There are also even slimmer browsers based on it as well. Still, (current up to date versions of) Netscape is a fine browser, and most of what I say below applies to it as well.

Mozilla as you probably know allows "tabbed browsing". In another words you can have multiple sites open in a single window, with tabs at the top of the browser window to switch between them. But, the really cool thing is that it also allows you to Bookmark groups of tabs!

My first bookmark contains 5 URL's through which I do the day to day management on my sites - I won't get specific on this one, but, I have a data entry window, a stats window, database views, etc.

My 2nd bookmark is a group of tabs composed of Linkshare, CJ, Reporting.net, and ConnectCommerce.com. I actually bookmarked the reporting URL so I could immediately see reports. Mozilla has a very nice built in password and form filler if you feel comfortable using those features. It allows multiple username/passwds to be saved for a single site, and displays a selection box to choose among them.

Yet another bookmark contains several daily reading forums including ABW.

When I reboot every week or so I can have all my site stuff, all affiliate networks, all the forums I read on a regular basis, and a few other things up in a matter of seconds. If the box crashes or something happens and I have to reboot - I can have it all back up quickly.

If you are a linux or MacOSX user, there are versions of Mozilla for those operating systems as well. If you use more than one OS on a regular basis (I do..) it can be a big win as well, having a consistent interface for the browser among all of them.

Add to all of this the facts that there are:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI> NO known BHO's or parasitic applications (that I know of) which operate on these browsers

<LI> Less security issues to date than with IE

<LI> A built in popup blocker which does The Right Thing on target="_blank" Anchors (I still don't use it regularly, though, it still interferes with some sites which legitimately use javascript popups)

<LI> Is not made by the Evil Empire (though some may comment about AOL...)

<LI> More standards compliant, better CSS than IE[/list]

At least in my opinion you have a sure winner.

My only hope is that this tedious post gets just one person to at least give it a try. Maybe they won't like it, but, at least its something.

I made some screenshots, I'll post in next message.

-----
    JM

ABW Ambassador
    Shot showing all affiliate networks loaded in a single browser window. This makes it really handy to be able to run reports at all networks simultaneously. Also, combined with the way Windows XP now "tabs" the task bar, if I always open the browsers in a consistent order, I always know where to find my Site Main browser, Affiliate network browser, ABW/etc browser, etc.

----
    -JM
    Banana Free in 2003. (and 2004, 2005, 2006, ...)

I must remain loyal to Bill Gates and my Microsoft Stock.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    Shot showing another browser loaded with a bunch of forums. Makes finding them when I feel like reading easy among the other 100 browser windows/tabs I have open.

Phfew. That was a lot of writing. I hope it ends up benefitting someone.

ABW Ambassador
    Connie,
    ewww..mickeysoft stock

I don't think my using a diff browser is going to affect MSFT.

hehe.

... oh, and, I hope moneychaser likes that shot

I prefer Opera as an alternative, but need my M$!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Agree, Opera is also very very nice. Though, I still prefer Mozilla.

Just wanted to say not trying to convince anyone (maybe I am?) but I just wanted to share how its helped me.

----
    -JM

It reminds me of another really neat browser called Slimbrowser found at flashpeak.com. It weighs in at only 750kb which is unbelievable for what its capable of. Also Slimbrowser is free and is regularly updated. It does all the things you mention about Mozilla with a bunch of other things as well, including incorporating a search box to all the main search engines. Maybe Mozilla is the basis of Slimbrowser ?

Anyways I can see why you're enthusiastic about Mozilla if it works like Slimbrowser. Gotta love those grouped bookmarks and tabbed windows.

"Can I sell the sh*t and will the merchant pay?" ~ Leader

Hey, Microsoft was real cheap, and you know Bill has enough money to keep the company running. I already have a nice chunk for a retirement fund. Plus, it split earlier this year!

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Been using Mozilla for about 3 weeks now and I am very impressed with it. It's now my browser of choice for checking/testing how my sites look and perform because it is "very" standards compliant.

I still use IE (and I think it's ok) but it looks like I'm going to be promoting Mozilla to the a-team very soon (still wouldn't even touch Netscape).

------------------------
    Webmaster Resources

Since this may get into a religious like discussion, I will as careful as I can (not).

Mozilla is pretty cool, but I am just not comfortable with it, even though the latest release is way better than previous ones. If you haven't tried it for a while, then you owe it to yourself to re-evaluate it.

Six or eight years ago, I would have shot anyone taking Netscape away from me. Netscape now is just a bloated, cumbersome, and half-broken browser. I wonder when they will go away?

I use IE 5.5 for business, as most people visiting my sites use the MS interface. I don't use IE 6., it's got more bugs than a Coleman battery powered camping fryer.

When I am doing personal browsing I use Opera 6. Opera 7 has some problems, as far as I am concerned. I usually browse with pop-ups turned off (an option in Opera). My only complaint, is that I can't get the wonderful "iespell" to work in Opera (only ie). (Thanks to Haiko for suggesting it).

Lastly, should we worry about the &lt;5% that don't use IE, in order to design our sites with? This has been discussed at length elsewhere, so I won't belabor the point.

All this has been IMHO

Fred

"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" Steven Wright

Looks interesting, I am running dual monitors, but still don't have enough room for all my windows. The tabs could be helpful.

Microsoft knows people are lazy, so they built their browser to let sloppy html slide by. I had to stop using Netscape because it was just too annoying the amount of sites that wouldn't work in it. Not the fault of the browser.

Interesting way to gain market share. Now how can we apply this known laziness to affiliate marketing? hmmm

Here's a sexy browser...
    Complete with browsing tabs, a popup killer, a google search bar ( but no page rank ), and it kicks IE and Netscape's asses in speed.

"Here's a sexy browser..."

All I will need then is MacinDos

"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" Steven Wright

ABW Ambassador
    I tried the latest Mozilla and agree it is a vast improvement over older versions and IE. Howver, it is still too slow for my machine. I use Crazy Browser. Free, super fast and tabbed. It is based on IE though. No google toolbar so I use MS for that.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Although I've had Mozilla for some time, I actually prefer the Mozilla-derived Firebird (aka Phoenix) browser as it's smaller and less memory hungry. It has a popup stopper too.

There's also another Mozilla-derived browser called Ghostzilla which is useful for "stealth browsing". Check out the site, it's really clever stuff. Useful if your boss is around

However, I must admit to using IE out of habit. Partly this is because IE is our standard browser in my "Real Life" workplace. And one of the reasons for that is the very wonderful IEAK (IE Adminstration Kit) which allows you to customise virtually anything and everything. If you're looking after a shedload of PCs, or if you're a PC distributor/builder, then that's worth a look too.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    I use Opera and had since that no security problems, especially with email viruses the built-in email is totally safe. The version 7 of opera has also a built-in spam filter.
    carneol

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I wouldn't give up my IE6!

Although those are some interesting screenshots. Especially those forum names and that banner...

~Revenue is King

My first browser is netscape navigator 2.0 in 1996.

I also used netscape communicator 3.0 gold but it is just too slow with my 8MB RAM 486! So have to stick with version 2.

Time flies. IE came out, only start using from version 5.0. The reason I hate it is it is just too simple!

Time to start dislike netscape. Every web pages I design seems to look great with IE but not netscape (a reason why is because I start using FrontPage)! It is headache to design websites that look great with 2 browsers!

Check logs, less than 10% of people using netscape. Then stop using netscape anymore or even test my site design with netscape!

Have a try on Netscape 6.0 and 7.0. It looks nice and cool but it startup is just TOO SLOW! So no luck with Netscape.

Later swith to opera 6.0. Like the speed increase (with those running bars at the bottom make browsing really exciting). Later Opera 7.0.

Now what?! I am using AVANT BROWSER! The best browser on earth. It is actually IE with lots of opera features! You can use middle click to opened a link in new window. It has the TABS feature as in netscape and mozilla. It has a build in ads blocker! It minize to tray when closed. I can't stop using it once I have it installed. And it is free!

The only time I need to switch browser is when I need to view PRs from the google toolbar.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    IE has the market only because it arrives configured on all Windows machines shipped.

It takes WEBMASTERS to help cut into the IE marketshare by recommending the use of other browsers.

Remember here, people, every surfer you convert to Netscape/Mozilla etc from IE is a potential commission for you down the road when your traffic ISN'T intercepted by Gator etc via an IE/ActiveX plugin. We people, who RELY on affiliate revenue to put food on the table should be bending over backwards to put a dent in IE's marketshare.

And it wouldn't take much. Once a trend was noticed in the industry, word would get out, and surfers would be even more likely to try an alternative.

I've put:

"For your safety and security (no more parasites and spyware), we recommend you change your browser to Netscape 7 which offers an easy upgrade from Explorer (keeps your bookmarks and browser settings). WE LOVE IT!" with a link to http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp in a prominent position on the most heavily trafficked page I have.

LET'S CLAIM BACK OUR COMMISSION CHECK!!!

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:

Although those are some interesting screenshots. Especially those forum names and that banner...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finally! Someone noticed heh heh heh

----
    -JM

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedFish:

Now what?! I am using AVANT BROWSER! The best browser on earth. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for pointing this one out. I have been a user of Crazy Browser for some time but Avant Browser looks cool. Very similar to Crazy. Might use it for a while longer.

Like Crazy Browser, Avant is faster on my machine than either explorer , netscape, mozilla or opera. Quite a bit faster than "the fastest browser on earth" too or what ever the slogan is they market Opera with.

Andy Williams

ABW Ambassador
    I'm downloading one that looks interesting: Slimbrowser found at http://www.flashpeak.com/

"SlimBrowser is a multiple-site browser based on tab-page interface. It incorporates a large collection of wonderful features like recoverable popup killer, form filler, site group, quick-search, auto login, hidden sites, built-in commands and scripting, online translation, script error suppression, blacklist/whitelist filtering. "

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    Wow, i like this tabbed browsing. I usually have about 8 browsers open at a time, now i just need 1. Very nice, i recommend giving this a try, less than 1 MB based on the IE browser.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on May 24, 2003 at 05:35 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    OK, the Avant browser looks good but I keep going back to Crazy Browser. Startup is almost instant compared even to the fast Avant. However, version 8 beta of Avant has significant speed enhancement over version 7 so jury is still out. Plus my wife likes the ease of switching to Spanish language interface (as well as a gazillion languages - I am sure most of these countries dont have internet )

Andy Williams

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast