Number of merchants to promote
    I am going to focus on a specific product or nitche on a website I develop.
    On that site, I will promote several merchants that sell that particular product. I don't want to overload the customer with too many options, but I want to have enough they have some good choices. I was thinking about having around 5 to 10 merchants link on my site. Can anyone suggest an ideal number?

Join as many as you are comfortable promoting but limit each page of your site to a few (as a focus per page).

It also depends on the site genre: is your site a coupon site? a content site? content with coupons? etc...

Depending on your overall focus you might want to adjust things accordingly.

Sometimes it's hard to give all merchants "quality time" if you join many but one good thing about joining many is the variety and the possible and quick substitution if one goes out of business, switches networks, or if there is some unforeseen problem -- if you join a number of merchants you have more to choose from and you can replace the "problem" links.

It's all trial and error until you find a comfort level
    Last edited by Rhia7; January 19th, 2008 at 01:20 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhia7 make a good point. It depends on the type of site you have. When I operated my site as a product site, I focised on a few merchants but now that my site is a coupons site, I tend to promote a larger amount of merchants on a page.

The right mix depends on what your focus is and how well you can devote to each merchant.

Just don't promote merchants that stink.
    I promote a combination between percentage, cookie days and product price
    [URL=http://www.pexcornel.com]Pexcornel blog[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by dharris
    I am going to focus on a specific product or nitche on a website I develop.
    On that site, I will promote several merchants that sell that particular product. I don't want to overload the customer with too many options, but I want to have enough they have some good choices. I was thinking about having around 5 to 10 merchants link on my site. Can anyone suggest an ideal number?
    If you're going to do price comparison I suggest listing as many merchants as possible. It'll give you a more likely chance of having the lowest price and you'll maximize conversions. You don't want your customers going elsewhere to find merchants you may have missed.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    There is no ideal number of merchants.

I'd ask myself "How many merchants do I have time to update?"
    and "What benefits are there for my site visitors to see this particular merchant?"

ABW Ambassador
    As many as possible. That way when one changes the terms of their agreement or becomes associated with parasites, you can dump them as fast as you can with minimal damage.

I used to have two sites and focused on a few merchants. When one of them reduced return days or refused to let affiliates have individual product links, it was very painful.

I now have 13 sites and 100s of merchants. The best advice that I've picked up from the veterans here is to DIVERSIFY across merchants and networks. Yes you want to think about your visitors, but you also want to have a successful and sustainable business plan.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    I'd ask myself "How many merchants do I have time to update?"
    and "What benefits are there for my site visitors to see this particular merchant?"
    Lost deviant makes a great point! Having a lot of merchants may seem great, but remember you will have to spend time updating the products, sales info and coupon codes for each one. You might want to start out with a couple, then once you have a system in place to add/update the offers, you can add more.

Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFashionista
    Lost deviant makes a great point! Having a lot of merchants may seem great, but remember you will have to spend time updating the products, sales info and coupon codes for each one. You might want to start out with a couple, then once you have a system in place to add/update the offers, you can add more.
    Yes, and that's where those who can keep a large number of merchants updated have an advantage.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread